Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Liquid cooled computer

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to build a nice liquid cooled computer, price range under $3,000, any info on a good setup thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Grey/Black leather 535xi - Premium, Ipod, Cold Weather, Dinan Stage 2, Sprintbooster

Look at Danger Den for the WC parts, the PC parts are up to you. I would recommend waiting for the i7 processor, as it's been handing the Core2 whippings in every benchmark. As a side note, high end air is as effective as low end water, so don't skimp on the WC parts.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

No man! Go MAC...unless you're into really really really heavy gaming.

I have built my on PC now and it's a monster...even air blown.

CPU: Intel QX9770 3.2 Ghz, 1600 FSB overclocked @ 3.83GHz, 1800 FSB
RAM: Mushkin DDR3 1800MHz with 8-8-7-20 timings
MOBO: EVGA 790i ultra
VIDEO: EVGA 9800GX2 x2 (means quad SLI)
HDD: 2xWD 10 000rpm Velociraptor and 2xSamsung 1TB 7200 rpm.
Sound: Creative X-FI Fataility PRO
PSU: Thermalright 1200W

and believe me when I'm saying my iMac 3.06 intel core 2 duo drives circles around it. That's the power of a good software designed specifically for that hardware. Plus once you get to build your own rig you'd better start preparing for lots of nights without sleep because of the tweaks as in voltages, ratios and stuff like that to get it stable. And even when you think it is stable after running countless stability tests and stress benchmarks you will still get blue screens and freezes and nasty stuff.

Trust me! Now i want to sell my rig. It's not worth the extra umph. Time and money consuming and for what? THIS CLEARY HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE financially speaking. Almost 8K for ... nothing.

PS: If you go watercooling make sure that you don't spare on waterblocks and pumps. Otherwise you wouldn't be even as effective as the medium-high effective air cooled PC. Also you might get leaks which could ruin the hardware. Also you have to take care of the maintenance of the water.

That's my advice.

PSS: Danger Den is ok as the other guy pointed out.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

No offense but they are both very different machines. I just got a macbook pro a few weeks ago and I love it. But chances are if hes building a pc with liquid cooling hes not gonna be just editing pictures but gaming. Macs are pretty limited in gaming.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

I went with Alienware for PURE GAMING. Who is atm top rated I believe
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Even if you game I would say get a Mac. Consider a Mac Pro (water cooled) and run Windows natively if you game - seriously.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

Originally Posted by White5' post='723406' date='Nov 17 2008, 12:32 PM
I went with Alienware for PURE GAMING. Who is atm top rated I believe
What game do you play gary? oregon trail?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

+1 to Danger Den parts, good stuff. I've been run their water blocks since the Prescott days. Like Jason said, I would wait until the i7 processors are released before building a new rig. I'm personally waiting for the MacPro's to be refreshed with the new processor (which are just a little over what your stated target price range is), but it's a beastly machine.

There's really no reason to water cool unless you're into benchmarking. It's like fools who dyno their cars and show how much power they're putting to the wheels. It's all really for bragging rights. The reason I went water cooling back in the day was because CPU's were too hot for air cooling and I hated the noise of my fans at full speed. Now, processor companies like Intel and AMD design their processors to keep low thermal foot prints.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='723721' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:24 AM
Even if you game I would say get a Mac. Consider a Mac Pro (water cooled) and run Windows natively if you game - seriously.
EXACTLY!

Macs are not limited to OSX. You can do virtual machines with VMWARE fusion (best IMHO) or Parallels or you can do native with bootcamp. It's that easy. AND STABLE!!!

Even though MS is known for errors, poor software development etc...it will run better on a Mac Pro then on any PC. Period!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='723884' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:21 AM
+1 to Danger Den parts, good stuff. I've been run their water blocks since the Prescott days. Like Jason said, I would wait until the i7 processors are released before building a new rig. I'm personally waiting for the MacPro's to be refreshed with the new processor (which are just a little over what your stated target price range is), but it's a beastly machine.

There's really no reason to water cool unless you're into benchmarking. It's like fools who dyno their cars and show how much power they're putting to the wheels. It's all really for bragging rights. The reason I went water cooling back in the day was because CPU's were too hot for air cooling and I hated the noise of my fans at full speed. Now, processor companies like Intel and AMD design their processors to keep low thermal foot prints.
Yeah i know. I still have a Prescott @ 3.6 GHz (stock) and with the boxed fan it made some awfull noise. You could hear it three rooms back. To quiet it down i bought a big ass cooler with a big 140 mm fan to quiet it down due to lower rpms.

Prescotts are still runing hot...even to there days.

And yes i too hardly can wait for a refresh on the Mac Pro hardware. That should be a blast. I can only imagine the current one running dual xeons at 3.2 GHz and RAID 0 striping of the SAS 15 000 RPM drives Can you say BEAST??

What next? Dual Nehalems...errrm I7 with RAID 0 SSD

LE: for the original poster here is a link to what evga already has http://www.evga.com/articles/00441/

Again...i for one would go Mac. I'm starting to get a feeling to sell my new monster PC before it losses value too much

Anyone wanna buy 5000 $ PC?

Quick Reply: Liquid cooled computer