Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by robg' post='570409' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:06 PM
Still here, just waiting for something to cheer about.

Have been a rabid fan since childhood and now a longtime season ticket holder. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but the Pens have been aided by questionable calls in both games (the late penalty that gave the Pens the power play at the end of game 1 and the quick whistle that took away the tying goal in game 2). No excuses though, the Rangers did blow a
3 - 0 lead. But if the Rangers can win game 3 at MSG tomorrow night, then I think the series will go at least 6.

PS - Potvin sucks
I hear you but I'd say it's a stretch to call the "quick whistle" questionable. Whistles happen. Nobody argued the issue during the game and even post-game, it wasn't an issue...even to the Rangers' coach:
?I thought it was an accurate call,? Rangers coach Tom Renney said. ?I don?t know if it was a quick whistle or not. If his intention is to blow the whistle and it hasn?t crossed the goal line, that seems like it?s fair to me.?

I figured it would go to the Pens in 5 -- if we win tomorrow night, it's gonna be a sweep!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='570414' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:14 PM
I hear you but I'd say it's a stretch to call the "quick whistle" questionable. Whistles happen. Nobody argued the issue during the game and even post-game, it wasn't an issue...even to the Rangers' coach:
?I thought it was an accurate call,? Rangers coach Tom Renney said. ?I don?t know if it was a quick whistle or not. If his intention is to blow the whistle and it hasn?t crossed the goal line, that seems like it?s fair to me.?

I figured it would go to the Pens in 5 -- if we win tomorrow night, it's gonna be a sweep!

I thought it was the right call when I watched it live. And I understand that the play is dead as soon as the whistle is blown (and it was clearly blown before the puck crossed the line). But on the replay it looked like Fluery never touched the puck. It just kind of went through his legs in slow motion. In the final minutes of a playoff game, you hope the refs can make the right call.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by robg' post='570422' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:22 PM
I thought it was the right call when I watched it live. And I understand that the play is dead as soon as the whistle is blown (and it was clearly blown before the puck crossed the line). But on the replay it looked like Fluery never touched the puck. It just kind of went through his legs in slow motion. In the final minutes of a playoff game, you hope the refs can make the right call.
Gotcha. You never know when a call is going to go in your favor or not in your favor. I'm sure as this series progresses, there will be calls that benefit the Rangers too. As a matter of fact, the Rangers had a power play yesterday in the final minutes of the game but couldn't manage to score. I think, in fairness to the Pens, they deserved to win both games and they did...not because of any poor officiating, but because they simply outplayed the Rangers on both offense and defense.

Also, as you mentioned, you're not supposed to lose games when you're up 3-0. The fact that we even came back from that kind of deficit to tie it can only be seen as a failure by the Rangers. The fact that we ended up winning it on a power play in the final minutes doesn't mean it's the referee's fault for calling the penalty in the first place...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='570429' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:31 PM
Gotcha. You never know when a call is going to go in your favor or not in your favor. I'm sure as this series progresses, there will be calls that benefit the Rangers too. As a matter of fact, the Rangers had a power play yesterday in the final minutes of the game but couldn't manage to score. I think, in fairness to the Pens, they deserved to win both games and they did...not because of any poor officiating, but because they simply outplayed the Rangers on both offense and defense.

Also, as you mentioned, you're not supposed to lose games when you're up 3-0. The fact that we even came back from that kind of deficit to tie it can only be seen as a failure by the Rangers. The fact that we ended up winning it on a power play in the final minutes doesn't mean it's the referee's fault for calling the penalty in the first place...

Agree. I think the officiating has been universally bad, in both rounds - certainly not an anti-Ranger bias. But, I need something to grasp on to.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by robg' post='570433' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:38 PM
Agree. I think the officiating has been universally bad, in both rounds - certainly not an anti-Ranger bias. But, I need something to grasp on to.
Let's hope I'm not searching for something to grasp on to in the next few days...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I smell a PENS sweep!!! WOOHOO

Where are you Rangers fans?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by providenceleaf' post='571207' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:14 PM
I smell a PENS sweep!!! WOOHOO

Where are you Rangers fans?
Get the brooms out people...as I said in one of my posts above, if we win tonight, it's gonna be a sweep!

The Rangers really need to step it up -- the Pens scored 5 goals on only 17 shots! Compare that to the Rangers scoring 3 goals on 39 shots! I won't even get into how poorly NY's power play performance is -- or maybe it's just that the Pens' PK unit is just that much better?

No matter what, the Rangers are finished...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

PENGUINS, BABY!!!!!!! What's that sound I hear...like tightly-packed straw moving against the floor?!

2 shots all together on our 2 power plays....and 2 goals!!

"Oooooooh, Lemieux! You just can't say enough him, Paul. No, Mike, you really can't." (Rudy knows what I'm talking about!)...The good old days revisited.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributors

I'll step up and take one for the team. I think the Rangers veterans and pride will prevent the sweep at MSG, but I do not see it going past 5. I think the play has been much evener than the series score (or last night's score) indicate. Lundquist has not been bad, and I do not think he let in any soft goals last night, but to win in the playoffs you need great goal tending, not just "not bad" goal tending.

The Ranger failures on the power play have been the difference. If you cannot score with two 2-man power plays you do not deserve to win. The Rangers have not had a true power play quarterback since Leetch retired. The strategy when 2 men up last night was poor. Shooting from the top of the circles gives away the advantage. Get the puck low and look for the open man in front. The Penguins' power play, by contrast, looks unstoppable. There passing is amazingly fast and accurate. I do not think they will win the cup this year, but I definitely see a cup (or cups) in the near future.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributors

OK people. Put away the brooms. If Malkin does not get suspended for his slew foot on Mara he is going to have a big target on his back all game. If (and I realize it is a very BIG if) the Rangers can win game 5, things will get very interesting. The Pens are a great team, but very young in their leadership. It will be interesting to see how they react to some real presssure.

RBG