Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just a picture of two of my babies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Viper786' date='Sep 15 2004, 01:20 AM
i like the white one in the back better
Only if there are E60 M5's in there, instead of flowers...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 14 2004, 01:29 PM
[quote name='Viper786' date='Sep 15 2004, 01:20 AM'] i like the white one in the back better?
Only if there are E60 M5's in there, instead of flowers... [/quote]
or a truck full of british hot chicks !
Old 09-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jtxc' date='Sep 14 2004, 07:18 PM
Judging from your fine choice of automobiles they must be nice trucks.? Care to share your story.? I'm always interested in business stories,? how you got into delivering flowers might be a good one.
Many members of my family have been in trucking and/or flowers.
I started in a holiday job, skipping school on busy days like Mothersday and such. Took on a permanent position at 17 and started doing night classes.
I was working on another auction from the head office(flowers are being auctioned) and had to go to the head office 60 miles away every afternoon.
We were also shipping flowers in that direction, so the company offered to pay for my drivers training, so I could take a load of flowers with me in the afternoon (since I was driving back anyway)
Then I found out how much money the international truckdrivers made, and started doing that.
After a few years and a few different trucking jobs someone offered me a position as transport manager and later director.
I set up a business in the UK as part of my job, and later bought the UK company of my employer.
I'm currently setting up a similar business in Holland.
My lovely wife is in the industry aswell, I met her as my customer.. (she still is actually).
That's the short version

How about you?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PhilS' date='Sep 14 2004, 09:51 PM
Fred, how do the power outputs compare? ?
We aren't using the ones with the biggest engines, as we don't carry the weight with the flowers.
Here's a chart for the 380hp engines. A lot of torque, as you might expect.
This one is an 11 litre turbo diesel on six cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails Just a picture of two of my babies.-10_7393.jpg  
Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Contributors

This one is the big one. A 16 litre V8. Too expensive but a real beast.

Check out the torque!
Attached Thumbnails Just a picture of two of my babies.-10_7393.jpg  
Old 09-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

oh wow....
Old 09-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Members

1800Nm at 1100 rpm. Impressive. Really impressive.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Sep 15 2004, 10:22 AM
How about you?
Who me?

We'll, I grew up in the family's restaurant business. When I was a wee boy my dad owned one little Italian place in Boston, it's still there after 38 years. I grew up helping out on weekends and Holidays. I swept the floors, washed dishes etc. As I grew up so did the business. My dad now owns quite a few restaurants that stretch from Boston to Cape Cod, and range from family style inexpensive, to remortgage the house expensive.

Throughout High school I worked my arse off. In the summer I would work 80 hrs. a week. Yes I was greedy, and I liked cars so I needed money. I really did like to cook too, and my Dad is a very respected chef so my early training was quite good, although I did'nt know it at the time. At the point that I thought I knew it all, I went away to Culinary School to polish and hone my craft and learned a whole lot more. It was also at this time I bought my first home (19 yrs. old) and rented it out to some friends.

After a few stints at restaurants in San Francisco, NYC, and Boston, I returned to the family business to over see all locations. At that time I also started to take an interest in facilities management. I scouted for locations (places going out of business) and put an emphasis on purchasing the real estate instead of leasing. Well that worked out quite swimingly, my Dad's commercial R.E. portfolio is quite strong, but it was time for me to move on and put a little more of that profit in my pocket.

I moved to Nantucket Island, opened a restaurant, bought some real estate, settled into a nice life then came 9/11 and *poof* tourism came to a grinding halt. Time to go! Kept the Real Estate, leased it out, then moved back home (45 mi inland). My wife and I opened a new place one year and four days ago to the date and it's going gang busters. So much fun, great clientele. I currently have three other concepts in the works, one close to being done, one is halfway there, and one is still in concept stage. I am still buying/renovating commercial property (some residential) and that takes up half my time.

I wake up everday with a smile, Life is pretty good!

my restaurant
Old 09-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Sounds like you are stuck between your background (food) and your passion (real estate).

Repeat after me: Greed is good..

Old 09-16-2004, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey jtxc,

Nantucket is one of my favorite places (I actually have a Nantucket sticker (small one) on my 545i). Kingston is about 1.5 hours away. I'll have to bring the wife for a road trip some day. The menu looks good (nice website, btw).
Do you deliver?

Maybe Flowerfred will? Nice truck Flowefred.

Quick Reply: Just a picture of two of my babies.