Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Got an email from a website I'm registered with giving advanced closure notice due to ANTICIPATED weather. NYC Public Schools are the LAST to close during bad weather and I've never heard of them giving a day's advance notice before.

Hope everyone up there stays safe!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it gets bad. I want tons of snow so this weekend will be lovely on the slopes. I want to snowboard on powder.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The latest National Weather Service warning forecasts 10-16 inches of snow in New York City with the snow ending Wednesday night. Victor and I are flying down to South Florida on Friday for our cruise so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the flight is not cancelled.

Here is the most current NWS winter storm warning for NYC:

Issued by The National Weather Service
New York City, NY
8:59 pm EST, Tue., Feb. 9, 2010

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY.

SNOW DEVELOPS LATE THIS EVENING... WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE BY DAYBREAK. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET WEDNESDAY MORNING... BUT WILL OTHERWISE BE HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY... WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE. BY THE TIME SNOW ENDS WEDNESDAY NIGHT... TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 16 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

AS THE STORM INTENSIFIES... NORTHEAST WINDS WILL BECOME STRONG AND GUSTY DURING THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY... THEN TURN NORTH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. GUSTS OF 35 TO 40 MPH WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW... WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES ALONG WITH POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I hope it gets bad. I want tons of snow so this weekend will be lovely on the slopes. I want to snowboard on powder.

Did you mean natural? I always thought power meant the man-made snow....

I didn't like snurfing on powder, natural packed snow was always better to groove the snowboard in.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by pukka
Got an email from a website I'm registered with giving advanced closure notice due to ANTICIPATED weather. NYC Public Schools are the LAST to close during bad weather and I've never heard of them giving a day's advance notice before.

Hope everyone up there stays safe!
Its not that bad at the moment. I know the commute going home after work is going to be hell. thank god for Mass Transit. Trains are running normal.

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I think Vermont / Upstate won't get as much snow as New York City or below NYC does. I know snow down in DC has been extremely bad. Too bad there's no mountains there.

Where you planning to go? Mtn Creek? I think that might have great conditions.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

ah geez its not that bad.. such a hype. im glad they closed the schools early, this way i slept late..9am.. big deal i know to some, but im usually up at 6 with one kid, then hes out the door at 7, then next kid and hes out the door at 8, so its 2hours of tired, not so pleasant boys. I was happy to not have to deal with that crap Its snowing lightly here now, with about 6or 7 inches on the ground, more expected. It is a wet snow though, not light and powdery, which means messier roads quicker, then the snow turns grey..lolol.. ill post some pics, just took em with my camera..
Attached Thumbnails Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?-032.jpg   Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?-033.jpg   Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?-034.jpg   Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?-035.jpg   Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?-036.jpg  

Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?-037.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by melimel
ah geez its not that bad.. such a hype. im glad they closed the schools early, this way i slept late..9am.. big deal i know to some, but im usually up at 6 with one kid, then hes out the door at 7, then next kid and hes out the door at 8, so its 2hours of tired, not so pleasant boys. I was happy to not have to deal with that crap Its snowing lightly here now, with about 6or 7 inches on the ground, more expected. It is a wet snow though, not light and powdery, which means messier roads quicker, then the snow turns grey..lolol.. ill post some pics, just took em with my camera..
That was only the first half. Round two is starting now....
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

oh i know.. i think now its about 9 inches.. ill update with more pics as it gets worse.. it is kinda cool though. i wonder how im gonna get my kids to school tomorrow though with my car..hahaa..
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Ahhh no school today =). Might be closed tomorrow, but I am thinking a delay. Either way .
Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Took her out for a quick romp through the mall before the plows arrived. Maybe no work tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Just how bad is the weather going to get in NYC?