Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just bought the Canon G10. Love it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1006522' date='Sep 13 2009, 06:18 PM
I'm no Knightcom or MacFly by any means and never will be. However, I was getting tired of these little point and shoots and decided it was time to upgrade to something decent. I didn't want the hassle of getting a camera that required me to swap lenses all the time because I have no plans to become that type of photographer.

Anyway, after reading countless, amazing reviews on DPREVIEW.com and countless suggestions from professional photographers, I decided to do the G10. The most common piece of feedback I heard was, "You won't believe how well this camera does when compared to a lot of the popular D-SLR's". I considered the Canon xTi, but again, that would require me to swap lenses.

I must say that the G10 puts out prints just as good as some of the top DSLR's on the market. I'm really amazed. What a great camera! I can't wait to start posting better pix of my 2001 Durango for all of you to see.
Can you swap lens on those?

I am going with a group from work to the Yanks game tonight. Planning on taking my Nikon D90 with my 70-300mM lens. I do not know if my pulse will hold. I usually need my tripoid when using that len.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='1006985' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:37 AM
Can you swap lens on those?

I am going with a group from work to the Yanks game tonight. Planning on taking my Nikon D90 with my 70-300mM lens. I do not know if my pulse will hold. I usually need my tripoid when using that len.
No lens swap.

The scenario you mentioned above is the EXACT reason I didn't want a big, bulky DSLR. If I'm going to a Yankees game with some friends, I don't want to carry a camera bag with multiple lenses and have to worry/deal with it throughout. I'm there as a fan to have a good time with my friends, not become a SI photographer.

I actually read that a lot of professional photographers use the G10 as well, when situations present themself where a big camera around their neck is not ideal for the moment. I guess that speaks to how good of a camera the G10 really is.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll just add that probably seven years (or so) ago, I used C's exact logic when I purchased my Canon G3. I wanted to have some control over the camera but didn't want to deal with the bulk of a DSLR (plus, seven years ago, DSLRs were way more expensive than the entry level ones are today.)

Good luck with you new toy C, I've been thinking of upgrading soon and am considering getting a new smaller camera for "everyday use" as well as maybe getting a mid- to low-end DSLR for times when "real photography" is what I'm interested in.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1007033' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:23 AM
I'll just add that probably seven years (or so) ago, I used C's exact logic when I purchased my Canon G3. I wanted to have some control over the camera but didn't want to deal with the bulk of a DSLR (plus, seven years ago, DSLRs were way more expensive than the entry level ones are today.)

Good luck with you new toy C, I've been thinking of upgrading soon and am considering getting a new smaller camera for "everyday use" as well as maybe getting a mid- to low-end DSLR for times when "real photography" is what I'm interested in.
i wanna see this camera.. mine sucks... well actually im using my mothers for now cause i lost mine at my dock party on my boat and how much did this camera cost?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Contributors

I've been looking at the G11. It has a lower pixel count than the G10 at only 10MP but it's best not to try and squeeze too many pixels out just to gain a headline MP figure. Whatever I end up going for will replace my Canon PowerShot S3is, which is a bit bulky, almost as bulky as a dSLR.

I just can't find the perfect camera. It will look like a G10 and have all it's wonderful abilities (including remote control and full manual settings), plus it will have a Ricoh R8 style time-lapse feature and the HD and high-speed video modes from the
Casio FC-100 Casio FC-100
, and the slimness of a Casio EX-S600 (14mm thick) and take better images than a http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp

Shame such a camera doesn't exist, until it does, the G10 is a great all-rounder. I'd have considered it over the Ricoh R8 I bought last month (which doesn't have manual exposure but does have manual focus) although I still would have gone for the R8 because I'm looking for time-lapse feature.

So for now I still need to have two cameras (Ricoh R8 and Canon S3is) because there isn't one with the features of both combined and still be a small G10 size. I also keep a battered and beaten up Casio EX-S600 for clamping to my car and other such dangerous nonsense. If it falls off, so be it
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Good shit man, I was actually of getting the G9 back then... but got a good deal on a slick Canon point & shoot.... let's see some pics!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Finally made the decision to buy the G11. Went to Amazon Germany ready to part with my virtual cash and noooooooooooooo .... this product will be available the 2nd of December. Booooooooh!!

Canon G11 at Amazon Germany Canon G11 at Amazon Germany
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1009193' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:23 PM
Finally made the decision to buy the G11. Went to Amazon Germany ready to part with my virtual cash and noooooooooooooo .... this product will be available the 2nd of December. Booooooooh!!

Canon G11 at Amazon Germany
I ended up grabbing a G11 today as well. It's clearly an upgrade from my G3 but, at the same time, it's quite similar and very easy for me to get used to...

Even though it doesn't do HD video, I'm very impressed with it so far!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

That looks like a great camera. I've been considering a DSLR. With my Nikon Coolpix I can't even capture the wedding party coming down the isle because I don't have any shutter speed control.

Does the G10/G11 have shutter speed control for clear pictures during fast events such as sporting events?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='1034971' date='Oct 18 2009, 12:49 AM
Does the G10/G11 have shutter speed control for clear pictures during fast events such as sporting events?
It has that and much, much more...

(Actually, my old G3 had both aperture priority and shutter priority modes so I'm pretty sure that any of the "G" series cameras from Canon will give you at least that kind of control. That's the point of the G series -- they're supposed to be for "advanced" amateurs so they allow full control over the things that the point and shoot cameras "protect" you from...)

Quick Reply: Just bought the Canon G10. Love it!