Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Jailbreak iPhone guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

So I've searched but didn't find any guides on how to jailbreak the iPhone. I know quite a few people here probably have a iPhone so I hope this will be of some use.

This is for educational purposes only, be sure you backup your phone before attempting.

What is Jailbreaking?

Jailbreaking is a process that allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to run unofficial code on their devices bypassing Apple's official distribution mechanism, the App Store.

The jailbreaking apps that perform the process are made for linux, mac, and PC. There have been a number of programs do jailbreak it, but the current method is with redsn0w.

This method is assuming you have 3.0 or 3.01 firmware on the iPhone. The 3.01 firmware patches the text message vulnerability.
Download Link:
Windows
http://thebigboss.org/hostedfiles/redsn0w-win_0.8.zip
Mac
http://thebigboss.org/hostedfiles/redsn0w-mac_0.8.zip
Linux
http://thebigboss.org/hostedfiles/re...ux_0.8.tar.bz2

During the process you need to ensure the phone is connected via USB cable, and not to disconnect it until it says to do so.

You will also need to grab a firmware restore. If you have 3.01 or 3.0 they both use the 3.0 firmware restore for this method.

Iphone 2g:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/co...41_Restore.ipsw
Iphone 3g:
Iphone 3gs:

Download the firmware depending on what phone you have.

After you have these files, connect your phone to the computer, and fire up redsn0w. After you load it up, click browse and select the firmware restore file that you downloaded and select it. It should say IPSW was successfully detected. On the next menu select install Cydia, if you install Icy too there can sometimes be problems. You can always install it later anyway.

Follow the instructions on the screen, it will ask you to power it off.

It guides you pretty well along the steps you need to take, be sure to follow them as they show in order.

After you follow the steps its pretty automated. When everything goes successfully you will see the Cydia icon on your phone after it boots back up.

Cydia has quite a few apps that you can get for free.

The above shows you how to do the base jailbreak. Another part that many do not know is additional repositories that you can add. Any apps that are added are not detectable by itunes. These additional respositories contain almost every app in the App store cracked. Meaning they are completley free to "download". This would only be done to try out before purchasing the app from the iTunes App Store of course.

Anyways to do so, first load up Cydia. Then go to Manage>Sources>Edit>Add:
You will add the following repo:
cydia.hackulo.us

After this is added click done. When you are back to the main Cydia Menu search for Installous, and install this app. After this is installed it will be the main app you use to download the apps.

So load it up and click on Search and look for any app you wanted. After you find it, click on the app, and scroll to the very bottom where it shows version. Click on the latest version, and click on one of the download sources. Follow the instructions on screen, and when it actually downloads it, click install on the popup window. Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy! You can find loads of apps.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

thanks for this guide. i have done this before and then i upgraded to 3.o and all came to stock again. i am thinking of doin it again so i can use this diy

one of good options i had on my 3g after jailbreaking: _feature to edit sms and call log (this is soo necessary option i am surprise apple didnt have it), video (now 3gs have it but having 3g the only option is to jailbreak), Call block list (if you dont like someone calling you you can put them through voicemail right away), also there was a funny application "spoof" were you can call anybody from any number you want and use ifferent voice 9for example call your coworker from your Bosses number and talk with women voice - fun stuff) and more
Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I will post a guide tomorrow to enable the tethering option to allow you to use the internet on the phone on your laptop via bluetooth.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

I've done it with mine (3G) but did not like it because the phone kept locking up, especially when you run out of battery.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I had the jailbreak on my old iPhone before I had it replaced and loaded the 3.0.1 s/w - it was slowing down that phone considerably, so I'm sort of reluctant to do this again. But I'll prolly do it again anyway.

Thanks Phil!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1001480' date='Sep 8 2009, 01:28 AM
I will post a guide tomorrow to enable the tethering option to allow you to use the internet on the phone on your laptop via bluetooth.
I use my 3g over wifi, there's also a way to just use it with the normal iPhone USB cable.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='1001563' date='Sep 8 2009, 05:12 AM
I use my 3g over wifi, there's also a way to just use it with the normal iPhone USB cable.
yup, you just need to download the PDAnet app.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Here's an article on activating internet tethering without jailbreak.. I might give this a try... http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/28/a...k-or-jailbreak/
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

the unlockr has good stuff for iphone and G1, G2 !!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='1001940' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:34 PM
Here's an article on activating internet tethering without jailbreak.. I might give this a try... http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/28/a...k-or-jailbreak/
I've used that, it's ok, but I think some of the settings are inaccurate.

If i were you, i would just update with a custom IPCC file through iTunes. SO much easier as long as you know the settings.

Quick Reply: Jailbreak iPhone guide