Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

iPhone 5 almost upon us

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

LOL, too funny!! I too have to buy the iPhone 5, only because it will cost me $800 + to get USB in my 545i. I already have the OEM iPod interface and I'm upgrading from 3GS to iPhone 5 so it's a substantial upgrade for me.

The Samsung is nice too but I am not a fan of their products. Not liking Android either. perhaps one day, I will see how the WP8 devices from Nokia work out but again I am back to the lack of USB issue in my car. SIGH!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shlooky
LOL, too funny!! I too have to buy the iPhone 5, only because it will cost me $800 + to get USB in my 545i. I already have the OEM iPod interface and I'm upgrading from 3GS to iPhone 5 so it's a substantial upgrade for me.
Unless it's a bluetooth ipod interface, I think you'll be needing an adaptor with your iphone 5 because of the new connector.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The new connector is the part that actually plugs into the iPhone. The other end of the cable is still a USB connector which still works with the BMW OEM iPod interface...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol
The new connector is the part that actually plugs into the iPhone. The other end of the cable is still a USB connector which still works with the BMW OEM iPod interface...
Cool.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Contributors

Let me clarify as I was speaking to the newer BMW iPod option. I can't recall what the connection was for the make-shift iPod interface that went in the glove box. That could be an issue. And for those using the "Y" cable that plugs into the USB and Aux in connections in the center console, that would be a problem as well until a new adapter is offered (if at all!). The newer BMW's now simply use the white Apple cable to make the single connection through the USB port in the center console. Those folks (me included) would still be able to connect with Apple's new cable...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Baaaaaa !!! As I was saying. To even say the Samsung is pretty sweet, then admit you're not impressed with the iphone5, and then order it anyway. There's no hope for some.

I hear what you're saying, but isn't it what we all are when it comes to our BMWs? Most anybody who's ever driven a pre 1990's BMW will tell you that our current BMWs are nothing compared to the earlier models. Those cars where lighter, could handle better, and were true drivers' cars, yet we all flock to the brand because they have some inherent and intangible qualities not seen by drivers by equally capable (or maybe more capable) cars such as Audi or the newer Acuras and Mercedes AMGs.

I guess what it comes down to is that the best phone for you is what is best for your needs. I, for example, like to keep things simple. The GUI on an iPhone is so incredibly simple that my young granddaughter knows how to find and open the games I downloaded for her. There are no menus. sub-menus, flips, and other tricks to deal with. Also, for some reason, many manufacturers of stereo systems, appliances, cars, etc, have found it fit to integrate the iPhone with their products (including our cars) and therefore there's an universal appeal for that reason. With my iPhone, I can turn on and off my home theater system, I can control its volume, switch between sources and of course play my stored music through "Airplay." I can also control my Blue-ray player which has a specific Apple interface built-in. I just got a home thermostat that I can control from anywhere in the world with my iPhone. There are a plethora of devices that are iPhone compatible only, and I'm not giving that up. Good luck manipulating the music content of your Samsung or HTC music with your iDrive. Also, I've noticed that droid based phone users seem to be the most critical of iPhone users when I don't recall one iPhone user putting down a droid user for the sake of putting them down.

I own an iPhone 4S that I recently updated to IOS 6.0. I'm in no particular rush to update to an iPhone 5 simply because my current phone meets all my needs. If I needed a phone twice as fast as my current one, I would consider the iPhone 5, but right now, the 4S is fast enough to fulfill all my browsing and video watching needs and therefore this "sheep" will not follow blindly. I'm also not impressed by larger screens and I wish they had left the iPhone at the current size.

Most of us are not impressed by our cars because of RFTs, the lack of an oil dipstick, the heavy weight of our cars or the fact that these cars are no longer serviceable if you're a weekend mechanic (except for some basic stuff like brakes and shocks), and don't get me started on the "lifetime" fluids, yet we flock to BMW like sheep. See the parallels?

Last edited by porsche911targa; 10-11-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I hear what you're saying, but isn't it what we all are when it comes to our BMWs? Most anybody who's ever driven a pre 1990's BMW will tell you that our current BMWs are nothing compared to the earlier models. Those cars where lighter, could handle better, and were true drivers' cars ~snip~ yet we flock to BMW like sheep. See the parallels?
That's not the case for me. My first ever BMW was a 1989 (so let's call it 1990s) 735. Although admiring them before that, and their "true drivers' cars" appeal, they were always a bit basic and tail happy for my liking. I'm a "gimme all the luxury options" type. My 735i "SE" model had everything at the time, including ASC+T as it was called then. I would never have considered something like a "BMW 2002". Although a 1984 635CSi did hold some appeal.

Plus, I've never been in love with a car brand. My sig shows that I've been quite the slut when it comes to not being loyal and switching it up every time. There'd be no guarantee whatsoever that my next car will also be a BMW. Well, I say that, but currently the X3 is the front-runner in my list of what I might get next. Not because it's a BMW, but because after viewing, test-driving, and pondering over car brochures, there's nothing that meets all my requirements like it.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I guess what it comes down to is that the best phone for you is what is best for your needs. I, for example, like to ~snip~
Let me stop you there before you explain why the iPhone is best for your considered needs, because I agree, it is. That's the point though, you've considered what your needs and likes are, and the iPhone meets them. I wouldn't try and talk you out of it, it's the right choice for you.

It's the fanboi sheep that are the problem. They'll dumbly and blindly upgrade their iPhone every single time a new one comes out, despite the fact that they either don't need an upgrade, or even if they'd built up a huge wish-list for the new phone, and Apple failed to deliver on any of the things they'd hoped for. They'll still upgrade, and will then bite the bullet and start defending Apple's decision not to give them what (a) they'd hoped for, and (b) the competition is offering. There are millions of iPhone users out there that are jealous of non-Apple phones for various features that their iPhone doesn't have, but will defend Apple's decision: "The screens on Android phones are too big now", "Why would I want to replace a battery", "I don't need [NFC | microSD | microUSB | Bluetooth 4 | <etc etc>]". Go back a month before the latest release and those same Fanbois were claiming the next iPhone would have all those things and it would kick android's ass. Then came the disappointment and the 180 on needing those things.

That's what I find sad about the sheep.

My next phone (Galaxy Note 2), which I expect to receive Monday/Tuesday, will have a 5.5" screen (which is only better than the iPhone 5's 4" screen if you want a screen bigger than 4", and I do). It'll have 2GB of main memory, up to 64GB of secondary memory, and a microSDxc slot that can handle up to 64GB of SD memory (already got my 64GB card ready and waiting, as well as my spare battery). I don't consider it better than an iPhone 5 because it's better, it's just better for what my needs are.

..and finally, here's another amusing relevant image, this time poking fun at the Samsung side and moreso at Nokia in the background that's looking clueless (although Windows phone looks to have more of a future than BlackBerry).

Name:  4LwKh.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  23.7 KB
Old 10-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by DD_545i
That's not the case for me. My first ever BMW was a 1989 (so let's call it 1990s) 735. Although admiring them before that, and their "true drivers' cars" appeal, they were always a bit basic and tail happy for my liking. I'm a "gimme all the luxury options" type. My 735i "SE" model had everything at the time, including ASC+T as it was called then. I would never have considered something like a "BMW 2002". Although a 1984 635CSi did hold some appeal.

Plus, I've never been in love with a car brand. My sig shows that I've been quite the slut when it comes to not being loyal and switching it up every time. There'd be no guarantee whatsoever that my next car will also be a BMW. Well, I say that, but currently the X3 is the front-runner in my list of what I might get next. Not because it's a BMW, but because after viewing, test-driving, and pondering over car brochures, there's nothing that meets all my requirements like it.

Let me stop you there before you explain why the iPhone is best for your considered needs, because I agree, it is. That's the point though, you've considered what your needs and likes are, and the iPhone meets them. I wouldn't try and talk you out of it, it's the right choice for you.

It's the fanboi sheep that are the problem. They'll dumbly and blindly upgrade their iPhone every single time a new one comes out, despite the fact that they either don't need an upgrade, or even if they'd built up a huge wish-list for the new phone, and Apple failed to deliver on any of the things they'd hoped for. They'll still upgrade, and will then bite the bullet and start defending Apple's decision not to give them what (a) they'd hoped for, and (b) the competition is offering. There are millions of iPhone users out there that are jealous of non-Apple phones for various features that their iPhone doesn't have, but will defend Apple's decision: "The screens on Android phones are too big now", "Why would I want to replace a battery", "I don't need [NFC | microSD | microUSB | Bluetooth 4 | <etc etc>]". Go back a month before the latest release and those same Fanbois were claiming the next iPhone would have all those things and it would kick android's ass. Then came the disappointment and the 180 on needing those things.

That's what I find sad about the sheep.

My next phone (Galaxy Note 2), which I expect to receive Monday/Tuesday, will have a 5.5" screen (which is only better than the iPhone 5's 4" screen if you want a screen bigger than 4", and I do). It'll have 2GB of main memory, up to 64GB of secondary memory, and a microSDxc slot that can handle up to 64GB of SD memory (already got my 64GB card ready and waiting, as well as my spare battery). I don't consider it better than an iPhone 5 because it's better, it's just better for what my needs are.

..and finally, here's another amusing relevant image, this time poking fun at the Samsung side and moreso at Nokia in the background that's looking clueless (although Windows phone looks to have more of a future than BlackBerry).

Finally a rational conversation between two adults and no name calling.

Thank you for your wonderful insight. Even though I own an iPhone, I really hate Apple, the company. They have always been very arrogant and their attitude has always been "you'll get what we tell you you're going to get." This is what almost killed them the first time and this is what is going to cause them to fail again, given time.

As it turns out, I have no wish list for their phone; NFC is still in its infancy in America (believe it or not). The only instance I've seen it being used is in electronics trade shows when they scan my badge and I've seen people with iPhones doing it with the third part NFC case. 32Gb of internal memory is more than adequate for me (I have about 12 gig free and I never used the micro SD card in my old Nokia phone for anything except to add a new song here and there; something that I can do very easily now through iTunes or even the iCloud. Not defending them, just stating some facts. As I mentioned before, their simplicity is my lure.

When it comes to computers, I'm strictly a Microsoft junkie. Microsoft based computers are much less costly, much more widely used, they have almost infinite programs for them and yes, they're more vulnerale to virus attacks just because of their sheer numbers out there, but if you know what you're doing, they can run safely and efficiently even after years of use. For example, I just sold a 1994 laptop with Windows 95 installed that ran just as good and as "fast" as it did back in '94. I've never been the victim of a virus or worm attack either, mainly because I use all the right protection tools and also because experience has taught me never to click on any email or link you're not familiar with. It also helps that I work for one of the biggest internet security/encryption company in the world.

I would love a tablet for web surfing and light computing needs (in addition to my laptop), but I would never consider an iPad simply because of their arrogance not providing a USB port and for not even providing a kickstand or a keyboard for the old farts who want/need them. Looks like on Christmas day I will be the proud owner of a Microsoft Surface, which has all those things I just mentioned, and then later next year I plan on getting their beefed up tablet which will run the full fledged Microsoft 8, rather than an apps based OS like the Surface. Either way, it is going to be a microsoft based computer because I feel right at home with Microsoft, having been a user for well over 20 years from the wonderful MS/Dos to Windows 7. Having said that, I will not get a Microsoft based smartphone either, simply because I still have a need to run my electronic appliances and home entertainment system with my iPhone.

Hey, great chatting with you. Have a wonderful day.

Last edited by porsche911targa; 10-12-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

In preparation for the iPhone 5's release, I got myself and my wife Galxy S3's
The touch to share is BAD ASS!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
The touch to share is BAD ASS!!!!
Hey man, what happens between you and your wife is a private matter!

Quick Reply: iPhone 5 almost upon us