Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Inside the BMW M3's V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:57 AM
Senior Members

pretty cool
Old 04-09-2008 | 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='558589' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:13 AM
From the article:

Ever since Industrial Light and Magic dropped Jurassic Park onto the scene, it's rare to see a movie, TV show or advertisement that doesn't involve some form of CGI. It's amazing what can be done by a handful of programmers and a case of RedBull, but something gets lost in translation when computerized effects are used in place of their analog forbearers. The advertising firm IdeaCity recognized this and melded high-tech wizardry with old-school filmmaking to create an absolutely beautiful ad for BMW's new M3.

The edifice for the spot began with a tour of BMW's M facility in Munich, where the IdeaCity crew studied the inner workings of the M3's 4.0-liter V8. They had three complete engines shipped out to Belgium, where manifolds were cut, cylinders were shaved and lighting holes were drilled to mount special cameras, lenses and lights. After two weeks of intensive study and preparation, the team took another four, 20-hour days to film what happens inside the 420 hp mill during a single revolution. The completed spot was filmed at 10,000 frames-per-second and doesn't utilize any form of computer-generated effects. We've already watched it a half a dozen times and we think you'll do the same. Check it after the jump.
if this is true then this is a master piece of work and will cost a arm and a leg to do.
Now you know why BMW cars are becoming over priced. would be cheeper to do a 3D animation.
Old 04-10-2008 | 02:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='558589' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:13 PM
From the article:

Ever since Industrial Light and Magic dropped Jurassic Park onto the scene, it's rare to see a movie, TV show or advertisement that doesn't involve some form of CGI. It's amazing what can be done by a handful of programmers and a case of RedBull, but something gets lost in translation when computerized effects are used in place of their analog forbearers. The advertising firm IdeaCity recognized this and melded high-tech wizardry with old-school filmmaking to create an absolutely beautiful ad for BMW's new M3.

The edifice for the spot began with a tour of BMW's M facility in Munich, where the IdeaCity crew studied the inner workings of the M3's 4.0-liter V8. They had three complete engines shipped out to Belgium, where manifolds were cut, cylinders were shaved and lighting holes were drilled to mount special cameras, lenses and lights. After two weeks of intensive study and preparation, the team took another four, 20-hour days to film what happens inside the 420 hp mill during a single revolution. The completed spot was filmed at 10,000 frames-per-second and doesn't utilize any form of computer-generated effects. We've already watched it a half a dozen times and we think you'll do the same. Check it after the jump.
Thanks for sharing that!

What is CGI? Let me guess Computer Graphics Imaging?? Truly a guess!
Old 04-10-2008 | 04:47 AM
Senior Members

Sweet Ad
Old 04-12-2008 | 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Pretty cool Ping - thx for sharing that and would have been cool to see all four strokes
Old 04-12-2008 | 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='558847' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:55 PM
if this is true then this is a master piece of work and will cost a arm and a leg to do.
Now you know why BMW cars are becoming over priced. would be cheeper to do a 3D animation.
Maybe, but there's something more "visceral" about the real thing.

My Dad is thinking of getting a 535xi so we were at the dealer today. I sat in the M3, and man is that thing sweet. Great seats. I'm going to the two day M school at the end of the month, and I have my fingers crossed that I'll get to drive one.

Also sat in a B7. Also quite nice.
Old 04-12-2008 | 05:11 PM
Contributors

Here's a video of them making the ad. It looks like they didn't film it with the engine actually running, but did it in different segments. Everything's authentic, though.

Old 04-13-2008 | 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='558995' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for sharing that!

What is CGI? Let me guess Computer Graphics Imaging?? Truly a guess!
Computer-generated imagery
Old 04-27-2008 | 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='558589' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:13 AM
From the article:

What a waste of 3 engines money and time... CGI would have been faster cheaper and better.

They could have donated one of those engines to me!