Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

If a traffic light doesn't change, how long will you wait?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Default If a traffic light doesn't change, how long will you wait?

60 seconds? 90 seconds? 2 minutes?

It seems unreasonable to me to have to wait for longer than 60 seconds at a two-way stoplight. If you're just sitting there, and no other cars are approaching, do you just go?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayarras
60 seconds? 90 seconds? 2 minutes?

It seems unreasonable to me to have to wait for longer than 60 seconds at a two-way stoplight. If you're just sitting there, and no other cars are approaching, do you just go?
Could be that it's a sensor-driven light and the sensor failed. In that situation, I'd turn right and then do a U-turn and another right. That's assuming a right turn is allowed. But even if it isn't, it's probably a lesser offence should you get caught.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Could be that it's a sensor-driven light and the sensor failed. In that situation, I'd turn right and then do a U-turn and another right. That's assuming a right turn is allowed. But even if it isn't, it's probably a lesser offence should you get caught.
+1 on that...

ethical leadership isnt just spoken of, but practiced lol
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

We can't right on red here, and getting pulled over for burning a red because "the light didn't change for like a minute" probably wouldn't fly.. I'd say 3-5 minutes. I may, or may not practice what I preach, though

*could be a sensor/modular issue
or your red could naturally be longer as a result of traffic/volume/your intersection. We have a few awful lights like this on secondary/tertiary roads in town (green for 8-10 seconds, red for 120)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Many intersections use computer controlled traffic signals. HOWEVER, they are often maintained by municipal, county, or state workers who are not properly trained in their operation. As a result, many many many municipalities found the automated controls set to MANUAL or TIMED operation!!!

DUH!!!

Most people do not report intersection traffic management issues. And as a result we find traffic back-ups or stopped traffic where there is a low cross-intersection volume.

DUH !!!

Motorists could report an issue (via email) to their state motor vehicle agency website or local / county highway departments. Alternatively, I use a smartphone app SeeClickFix Mobile Apps - SeeClickFix for issues like these or potholes, etc.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Administrator

The light that I have in mind that inspired this post is not on any kind of tripper or sensor. I have encountered it twice every workday for over a year, so I have had ample time to study it's M.O.

My direction of travel is a local road. The other direction is a state road, So right there, you know which side is favored. I have timed it, and it takes 90 seconds to change for my side, and lets about 5 cars through. I've often had to sit through 3 light changes. I think if there was more than an even chance that I'd get through on the first pass, I wouldn't mind so much.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 AM
Contributors

Thumbs up

The light that I have in mind that inspired this post is not on any kind of tripper or sensor. I have encountered it twice every workday for over a year, so I have had ample time to study it's M.O.

My direction of travel is a local road. The other direction is a state road, So right there, you know which side is favored. I have timed it, and it takes 90 seconds to change for my side, and lets about 5 cars through. I've often had to sit through 3 light changes. I think if there was more than an even chance that I'd get through on the first pass, I wouldn't mind so much.
I travel through a similar intersection in Atlantic County (NJ) [combo State highway/County Road]. It seemed to me that the heavier volume east-west traffic had the same green light time as the much lighter north-south volume. And there's nothing I hated more than siting at a traffic light in a long line of traffic while 5-7 cars got through the intersection at each cycle - and then waiting waiting waiting while there was very light (1-3 cars) on the cross traffic.

Emailed the state/county DOT / Road Departments w/o any apparent change. Then I used the SeeClickFix app. Not only does it send email to the appropriate road departments, it also sends a message (everyone sees the copy list) one or two area newspapers. Within 24 hours I received a PERSONAL email acknowledgement from the responsible department !! [Yes, I do have an email address registered with the app.]

Within two weeks there was (at least by my perception) a marked change in the traffic light cycle that reduced the traffic backup.

As they say, "Try it - you'll like it!"
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Interesting concept, Luigi. I guess it's more effective in some areas than others. I did a search on my town and all that was listed were some pothole reports from 2010 and 2011 (still open) and someone reporting their lost cat. (My cat is missing. FIX IT! lol!)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

NJDOT? Sounds like they have their stuff together! QC on the other hand...... our techs still use traffic flow models from 1872 and engineers more concerned with filling their pockets with cash from contractors. What can ya do
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Interesting concept, Luigi. I guess it's more effective in some areas than others. I did a search on my town and all that was listed were some pothole reports from 2010 and 2011 (still open) and someone reporting their lost cat. (My cat is missing. FIX IT! lol!)
Jay, a SeeClickFix complaint from a "conscientious" citizen such as yourself will surely stand out ... Be the first .... Give it a try!
I also report as many potholes as I can because one time a few years back a wheel and tire damage complaint was rejected by the county's insurance company because no one had reported it in the previous 48 hours to permit the county to make a repair. The app allows you to take and easily upload a picture of the problem.

The picture is how that traffic light issue in my previous post was communicated ...
Attached Thumbnails If a traffic light doesn't change, how long will you wait?-traffic-light-issue.jpg  

Last edited by luigi524td; 12-10-2012 at 09:37 AM.