Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

I was nearly scammed!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport

That's why you just don't accept anything but cash (in person) or paypal. Every other form of payment adds risk to you as the seller. I would never accept a check or deal with any of that wire money BS. Glad you caught on in time.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 525xi Jet black sprint booster ACS front lip

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='874517' date='May 10 2009, 09:30 PM
That's why you just don't accept anything but cash (in person) or paypal. Every other form of payment adds risk to you as the seller. I would never accept a check or deal with any of that wire money BS. Glad you caught on in time.
yea, its scarry out there and sometimes its really difficult to spot honest people from scamers. hopefully another member will also benefit from this and not get scammed!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='874513' date='May 10 2009, 08:26 PM
oldest internet scam in the books that i can think of.

i think the ebay, pay me with western union is older, but very similar
+1
Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='874511' date='May 10 2009, 09:21 PM
Lol, they are stupid. "I saw you were asking $700, I can kindly offer $6000!" Bwahaha
Ya know!!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Yo, let's all get together and take these scammers for what THEY got! Seriously, so many people fall for this and everyone's usually all like "well, its buyer beware". "Buyer beware" my a$$!!! These m0th3rf@ck3r$ are stealing money from the unsuspecting in broad daylight and nobody's doing sh8t about it... I'm just fuming, but seriously, I'd be more than happy to help put asshole scammers away. Friggin' lowest of them all - they don't even have the balls to look people in the eyes and state their intentions, cuz they know they're pussies....rrrrrrrr...

BTW I just ran into another scam on ebay - sellers posting items in their eBay stores, while not actually having them in stock. I mean, it appears borderline legal - they could've just made an honest mistake and forget to take down a listing (or 12), but I call BS. I was looking for a rim and almost clicked "Buy It Now", but decided to ask the guy a question first. Good thing I did! Otherwise, I'd have clicked "buy it now", gotten the automatic invoice, paid it rightaway (I'm a proper buyer, I don't make people wait) and then received an "I'm sorry, we're currently out of stock, but will send you the item as soon as it comes in" notice - IF that much! eBay seller was "hubcapsandwheels" or something like that. Beware, they have pretty good feedback, but still this was a case of (possibly unintentional) mail fraud.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='874825' date='May 11 2009, 05:25 AM
Yo, let's all get together and take these scammers for what THEY got! Seriously, so many people fall for this and everyone's usually all like "well, its buyer beware". "Buyer beware" my a$$!!! These m0th3rf@ck3r$ are stealing money from the unsuspecting in broad daylight and nobody's doing sh8t about it... I'm just fuming, but seriously, I'd be more than happy to help put asshole scammers away. Friggin' lowest of them all - they don't even have the balls to look people in the eyes and state their intentions, cuz they know they're pussies....rrrrrrrr...

BTW I just ran into another scam on ebay - sellers posting items in their eBay stores, while not actually having them in stock. I mean, it appears borderline legal - they could've just made an honest mistake and forget to take down a listing (or 12), but I call BS. I was looking for a rim and almost clicked "Buy It Now", but decided to ask the guy a question first. Good thing I did! Otherwise, I'd have clicked "buy it now", gotten the automatic invoice, paid it rightaway (I'm a proper buyer, I don't make people wait) and then received an "I'm sorry, we're currently out of stock, but will send you the item as soon as it comes in" notice - IF that much! eBay seller was "hubcapsandwheels" or something like that. Beware, they have pretty good feedback, but still this was a case of (possibly unintentional) mail fraud.
you would be surprised how often that happens. especially with the economy the way it is. retailers selling products before acquiring them from the wholesaler because they actually DONT HAVE THE MONEY to buy the product. it happens a lot, many times you wont even know. say you want wheels, you pay $1400 bucks for them. when retailer gets your money, he will place the order with the wholesaler. you may in many cases get the order shipped from the wholesaler and NEVER EVEN KNOW, or he may get the order, inspect it and send it right out to you. it may take 5 days to get your wheels instead of 3. so the hubcapsandwheels guy are not, nor are they attempting to commit any type of fraud. When you order furnature from rooms to go and they take your money and have the product shipped to you from another location, that is not fraud. a retailer is merely a middle man between consumer and wholesaler. whether he has the product on hand is neither here nor there, fact of the matter is you will recieve your product as ordered.

now, for the real scammers, nothing we can do about it other then contact your regional FBI field station, however, they wont be much help. these scams are so common they dont have time to track down each dirtbag.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

had the same thing happen to me on craigslist.. i just ignore them.. not even worth typing back
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='874825' date='May 11 2009, 04:25 AM

We say take cash only. I am apprehensive about taking cash. I would plan on going to bank with buyer and having buyer swap money for larger/smaller bills with the teller. Even then, I could get caught up if buyer was passing fake bills.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If they put half the effort into a real job, they would do pretty well, and could look at them self in the mirror and not see a parasite! I'm glad you wised up and didn't get taken!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about selling car to private party? Accept cash? What if scammer provided fake driver's license and cashier check? I used to sell my previously owned car and accepted cashier check. With all these sophisticated scammers nowadays, it's hard for selling high $ items.