Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

I just checked Roadfly and it's even worse than b4

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 02:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many of the RoadFly members made their mass exodus and joined this board the admins on RoadFly started to monitor the boards for a few weeks and things were a lot better. I think they have stopped monitoring again. I just checked back today and not only are all the usual suspects at it again, but now there are a bunch of new idiots posting junk. It seems that 75% of people that post there now don't even have an E60 and they are not even in the market for it. They are there just to bash the E60 and those who own/like it. Of coarse this has always been the case at RoadFly, but it seems even worse the last week or so.

I have been reading das's forum for a year now and have been a happy member since Sep. 2003, and I'm glad that most of you sane RoadFly members decided to move here. I still check out what's going on over there occasionally, but it's getting uglier by the day.

rodybmw
Old 06-18-2004, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

Had a quick look yesterday. It's a joke.

I've never understood how anybody who dislikes the car as much as some of them do would spend ANY time even reading the board, never mind posting on it.

They must lead very unfulfilled lives, I suppose
Old 06-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

RF did me a huge favor when they made my account read-only.

I lurk over there once in a while just to remind myself why it isn't worth my time. It's amazing how much time you waste over there due to the stupid software design of that board. Talk about inefficient!

Exactly as predicted, the mods got lazy again and the whole board is full of trolls and flames. What's funny is that there really isn't any quality posts there at all. When the mods were deleting posts actively, it looked like a ghost town since there were no posts of any value being added.

There's even a guy spoofing the name field (again) to look like the posts came from someone else. Such petty, childish, and immature activity over there....

We should all be thankful to das for providing such a great alternative!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:38 AM
sav
Members

Strangely, I put up a post asking to stop responding to the trolls, hoping that they would lose interest and go away.

The moderator removed the entire post!

Bye Bye Roadfly
Old 06-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributors

I stumbled on to this site searching for E60 info before roadfly and I am glad I did.
Since the members from roadfly joined over here I am glad I never wasted my time with roadfly.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Guys, I need to know who the trolls are on this board. If you know of a troll on this board, you can post a reply to this thread to let me know who they are.

Now, I want everyone to read this next sentence very carefully. Starting next week, I will begin to suspend the user account of anyone who posts responses to people that are thought to be trolls.

Yes, you read that right.

On any forum on the internet, trolls are nowhere near as big of a problem as are the people who don't have the self-control to not respond to trolls. If you respond to a troll, you are a bigger problem than the troll. Trolls feed off of attention. If you deprive them of attention, they will go elsewhere. If you feed their attention, you are encouraging them to stick around.

I don't want to have to babysit this board every day all year long. Trolls are a part of any internet board. Most boards have learned to ignore them, which hastens their departure. This board has not. Banning trolls doesn't do any good when regulars are just waiting to get into a flame fest with the next troll that comes along. Until regulars can learn the self-discipline to ignore trolls, I will start suspending those who show that lack of self-discipline.

--Alan

it's getting better and better on the roadfly board... ROTFLMAO

I am so tempted to post his (Alan) name as number one troll... LOL
Old 06-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

That quote from Alan is truly funny (and sad)!

Instead of moderating diligently which would cause the trolls to leave, he's threatening to suspend the people that aren't trolls!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that RF piece of crap software is at the root of the problem there. It breeds chaos and the mods can't control it.

All I can say is to Alan is "LOL" (Lots Of Luck).
Old 06-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Members

Actually, the RF board has so many trolls, its really hard to keep count, and really the software is the biggest cause. But i wouldnt blame the mod completely since it pisses me off too when the regulars reply to the trolls, WHYYYY!!! it gives a reason for the trolls to troll even more! they know they will attract attention by the regulars replying to their posts, but i also understand its hard for the regulars not to say anything, but still, the only real solution in my opinion too is what the Mod said, to learn how to ignore the damn trolls.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

In a perfect world, people would ignore the trolls (or maybe in a truly perfect world, there would be no trolls).

The reality is that trolls are usually successful in getting someone to "grab the bait" and reply. Maybe it's newbies falling for something, maybe it's someone who can't exercise as much self-control as the next guy, maybe it's someone else. What most boards do to solve this problem is they remove the troll posts and/or suspend the trolls. If that's done even a little bit, the trolls find another place to go. It's that simple. Alan may be a nice guy, etc. -- I don't give a damn. His method of cleaning up the mess that is his board is 100% backwards and will not work.

If he succeeds in stopping the troll behavior, you'll soon see that there won't be anyone posting there because we're all here and the only people left are either people who cross post here and there or the trolls themselves.

Speaking of here, notice the absence of trolls? I truly believe it's because they know that it won't be tolerated (and the software won't let them forge names or post anonymously) so they don't even bother to post here. It's not like they don't know about this board, the address has been posted there many times.

I truly believe that RF is all about hit counts and advertising revenue. The way the software is set up, hit counts are artificially padded. I can only assume that they use these inflated counts to justify the advertising costs to the advertisers. Why else would they be so married to such an inferior interface and why else would they be so lax about actively moderating the forums?

(Okay, don't get me started..... )
Old 06-18-2004, 05:52 PM
rem
Members

I really think the problem with RF is the fierce (almost patholgical) objection of a few e39 owners who are very bent out of shape that their car has been supplanted by a better car. They probably don't like the new design and are too insecure for radical change. Adding to that is what looks like moderators who share their opinions. I don't think Alan's edict will accomplish anything. Given their attitude over there, they should probably just have forums for the old models. It doesn't look like it's going to work for them otherwise. Peaceful coexistence seems out of the question on RF.

Quick Reply: I just checked Roadfly and it's even worse than b4