Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

HID AE's

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='894483' date='May 29 2009, 08:27 PM
Any news on his kit for the e60 pre lci im still goin to do mine tho
how you doing yours??
Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='894492' date='May 29 2009, 09:36 PM
how you doing yours??
Im wiring mine via fog light wires since i no longer have use for them ( previous owner did full m5 front hence no fog light housing) will use gp thunders slim hid kit but if u dont want to go that route you could always use your oem ae wire and then use a power relay that way you wont burn out tht line (35 watt hid bulb compared to 3w i think oem ae bulb is) im just concerned about if maybe hid ae will be too bright in a pre lci housing we will soon find out
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Can't wait to see how that progresses, keep us updated!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

****spoke to the guy who developed the HID AE kit that radz has...said he has tested them on e60 LCI's and found no issues...as long as you have xenons/h8 bulb AE's you are good to go....

so PM him if you are interested...radz provided the link earlier in this thread

I will be attempting a different route, hopefully....

Richard, thanx again for the info...good lookin'
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Looks absolutely awesome.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Contributors

those are really good pictures! the 8k looks pretty much exactly like the pictures. it's a crispy white light. i have the 8,000k temp HID installed in an E60 and they are brighter than stock. been running it a few weeks and so far so good. there is the myth that HID will wash out the halos--actually it is well define during the day--but unbelievably bright. Try taking a comparison picture with a car that has LED--it is no match in bright daylight!

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='891321' date='May 26 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi, I just want to share some pics of my HID AE's and I know, I know it's not an E60 . I finally took some time to install it and while I'm on it I took some pics also of my new toy . It would have been cheaper if I had brought it to a shop to install it for me because I had to buy the tools needed to perform the install which costed me a little more. Temp is 8k. They are so bright from far it looks like my high beams are on. Aight I'll let the pics do the talking.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='892060' date='May 27 2009, 02:47 PM
let me know richard....I know for sure e92's are different from e60's, even tho they are both h8 bulbs....think it has something to do with heat sinks and/or other factors...

that's why AiB's for e60 LCI's are still not out yet even tho they are for LCI e90's...
LCI e60 & e92 are the same camaross305 made a kit over there in the forum. it's a small circuit that will take in the power from the original harness to output a steady 12v to trigger the relay. the circuit is to keep the voltage high to turn on the relay. since bmw in DRL mode output something like 12v but then dim the voltage low. Since the relay needs something like 12v to be triggered-that is the purpose of the circuit. the relay and wiring harness hooks up to the ballasts and bulbs etc. the kit include resistors to prevent the computer error.

the kit consists:
a. circuit, resistors
b. HID wiring harness (relay + wires + 9006 HID plugs)
c. ballasts + bulbs(h8 connector)

if you are technically incline instead of the circuit--can use a standard HID relay that is triggered from a 12v accessories wire. the computer error can be easily solved by using resistors. the HID kit can be bought cheap. since majority of aftermarkets are from a few manufactures in china anyways--just get a cheap one. bulbs + ballasts runs about $40..or lifetime warranty as cheap as $70. Alot of the HID kits are rebadged and the markup is rediculous. the HID wiring harness(which has the relay already + standard HID plugs and wiring) around $25 or less. something to note is that the wires need to go inside the housing. you can slip the wires underneath by benting the cover or drill a hole in the cover and use the grommet that is provided with the bulbs. if you don't want to spent much time piecing up a kit--i recommend just geting the kit with everything. however the kit is not exactly plug & play...it still take a bit of time get it installed and running. the supplied harness wasn't long enought for an E60 but i'm sure if you get a hold of camaross305 he can easily have it made for an E60.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='901492' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:42 PM
LCI e60 & e92 are the same camaross305 made a kit over there in the forum. it's a small circuit that will take in the power from the original harness to output a steady 12v to trigger the relay. the circuit is to keep the voltage high to turn on the relay. since bmw in DRL mode output something like 12v but then dim the voltage low. Since the relay needs something like 12v to be triggered-that is the purpose of the circuit. the relay and wiring harness hooks up to the ballasts and bulbs etc. the kit include resistors to prevent the computer error.

the kit consists:
a. circuit, resistors
b. HID wiring harness (relay + wires + 9006 HID plugs)
c. ballasts + bulbs(h8 connector)

if you are technically incline instead of the circuit--can use a standard HID relay that is triggered from a 12v accessories wire. the computer error can be easily solved by using resistors. the HID kit can be bought cheap. since majority of aftermarkets are from a few manufactures in china anyways--just get a cheap one. bulbs + ballasts runs about $40..or lifetime warranty as cheap as $70. Alot of the HID kits are rebadged and the markup is rediculous. the HID wiring harness(which has the relay already + standard HID plugs and wiring) around $25 or less. something to note is that the wires need to go inside the housing. you can slip the wires underneath by benting the cover or drill a hole in the cover and use the grommet that is provided with the bulbs. if you don't want to spent much time piecing up a kit--i recommend just geting the kit with everything. however the kit is not exactly plug & play...it still take a bit of time get it installed and running. the supplied harness wasn't long enought for an E60 but i'm sure if you get a hold of camaross305 he can easily have it made for an E60.
Hey rootkit, Did you make your own kit? what circuit and resistor did you use?

btw, thanks for all your help on the lci retrofit
Old 06-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

thanks for the info rootkit! I could not have said all that.