Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Help with Digital SLR purchase!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

More or less you can get any Basic DSLR, either Canon or Nikon.

It all matters with the lens. You can have a mediocre DSLR, but awesome lens, the pictures will come out amazing.

If you have a top of the line DSLR and a crappy lens, pictures will suffer.

So back to the main question.. I think Canon Rebel XTI or XSI is a great beginner camera. You can definitely find great deals on the body of the camera. The hard part is finding great deal on lens.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='937616' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:45 PM
More or less you can get any Basic DSLR, either Canon or Nikon.

It all matters with the lens. You can have a mediocre DSLR, but awesome lens, the pictures will come out amazing.

If you have a top of the line DSLR and a crappy lens, pictures will suffer.
+1 don't ever skimp on lenses. Generally I don't like to use aftermarket lenses, I usually stick with the nikkor VR lenses.
Even though newer bodies may be available if you stick with the same camera manufacturer, you can always use the old lenses.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

We are all assuming he's going for a basic, cheap, beginner DSLR.

The camera below can also "take pictures and make them look realistic and professional":
I shot with this once, had to put $30,000 in as insurance.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/product.../h3dii-50.aspx

Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributors

lol hasselblad! yeah I don't think he's going to get a hasselblad for his first dslr
Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Do some research and pick your needs and wants, DPreview is a good start. For me it was between canon rebel xsi or Nikon D60.
I chose the Canon due to more variety of lens available.

Also as someone said above the camera doesn't make a great photographer, its your personal skill and also the lens you use.

Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

My wife bought a Nikon D90 and the pictures she's been taking with it are just stunning. It's a tremendous camera - I highly recommend it.

I also echo other posters' recommendations on DPReview and SteveDigicams, and also agree with the arguments that the lens is as important as the camera, and that the ability of the person taking the shots is as important as the quality of the camera and lens.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='937442' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:38 PM
hey guys i see that a lot guys here know what they are talking about when it comes to photography.. i want to get a digital slr for my self but i have no clue wher to start.. like i have no idea what brand to get or what kind of lens so i get.. i basically want a camera that would take pictures and make them look realistic and professional.. any suggestions?

You didn't indicate your experience with photography, but let me ask, why do you think you need a D-SLR? There are people who can take much better pics with a decent P&S than those with an expensive D-SLR.

Now, if you do want to get into D-SLRs, since you say you don't have much knowledge about them, my suggestion would be to buy a model that is a few years old. That was you won't spend too much money initially. Then when you master shooting with a D-SLR you can graduate to something that has a lot of bells and whistles.

As for brands...if you ask 10 people, you probably will get 15 answers. Your best bet would be to play with some at a store before you decide. Remember you can also rent camera equipment to help you decide.

Finally, if you are interested in Nikon, then here are a couple sites that have the best information, by far:
Thom Hogan's website
Bjorn Roslett's web site

Feel free to ask questions.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='937616' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:45 PM
So back to the main question.. I think Canon Rebel XTI or XSI is a great beginner camera.
+1

I bought my wife a Rebel DSLR last X-mas. She was already good at taking pics with our old Rebel 35mm and Sony digital (the one with the big fat lens). In a matter of days I was selling all of the non - IS lenses on Ebay to make room for the IS lenses. Then she got the adjustable auto-flash. This camera is good for beginners and will continue to be useful as you gain experience.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='937650' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:59 PM
We are all assuming he's going for a basic, cheap, beginner DSLR.

The camera below can also "take pictures and make them look realistic and professional":
I shot with this once, had to put $30,000 in as insurance.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/product.../h3dii-50.aspx

thats amazing... but i would be scared to pick it up..lol...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='938100' date='Jul 10 2009, 12:41 AM
You didn't indicate your experience with photography, but let me ask, why do you think you need a D-SLR? There are people who can take much better pics with a decent P&S than those with an expensive D-SLR.

Now, if you do want to get into D-SLRs, since you say you don't have much knowledge about them, my suggestion would be to buy a model that is a few years old. That was you won't spend too much money initially. Then when you master shooting with a D-SLR you can graduate to something that has a lot of bells and whistles.

As for brands...if you ask 10 people, you probably will get 15 answers. Your best bet would be to play with some at a store before you decide. Remember you can also rent camera equipment to help you decide.

Finally, if you are interested in Nikon, then here are a couple sites that have the best information, by far:
Thom Hogan's website
Bjorn Roslett's web site

Feel free to ask questions.
yea i have a coupe of p&s camera and i figure i wanna use DSLR because i wanna.. i dont know shit about camera, but i figure i start somewhere...

Quick Reply: Help with Digital SLR purchase!!