Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Heading to Bermuda for a few days

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Title pretty self explanatory. Never been to Bermuda before, hoping some of you well traveled E60 owners can offer suggestions on things to see and do. Have two small kids with me so things like deep sea fishing are likely out unless I go solo. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='436163' date='Jun 15 2007, 01:34 PM
Title pretty self explanatory. Never been to Bermuda before, hoping some of you well traveled E60 owners can offer suggestions on things to see and do. Have two small kids with me so things like deep sea fishing are likely out unless I go solo. Thanks in advance for your help!
Been there several times while my brother was living there. Tough place for kids though ( VERY SAFE ) but cant rent cars only scooters and taxis , the island is only 22 miles x 1.5 so very small . Great watch shopping for some reason , Very pretty place, people are very friendly golfing is very good. Not a happenning nitr life ... but with the kiddies who cares,

Have fun
Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='437187' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:22 PM
Been there several times while my brother was living there. Tough place for kids though ( VERY SAFE ) but cant rent cars only scooters and taxis , the island is only 22 miles x 1.5 so very small . Great watch shopping for some reason , Very pretty place, people are very friendly golfing is very good. Not a happenning nitr life ... but with the kiddies who cares,

Have fun
Thanks, I'm sure we will. All the kids care about is the sand and the waves. Grandparents coming as well so looking for some adult activities too. Will try out the golf and likely a massage or two. Kids have been to London many times so we are all used to taxis, boys view it as an adventure. Will check out the watches!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

kscarrol, I go there all the time for business. There are plenty of good restaurants. The island is generally pretty family-friendly in terms of attitude, but it's just expensive. I find people (staff, customers) are understanding of kids at early dinners.

I like Mickey's right down on the beach at Elbow Beach Hotel. (It got totally washed away, like disappeared, during Fabian. Rebuilt now.) It's open, with an awning, and pretty casual as places with a good menu go. Cafe Lido is the expensive restaurant up above the surf. I think they do reservations for either place at +1 (441) 236-9884.

Ascot's is a great restaurant, with a very friendly staff. They will be happy to seat kids. It's part of the Royal Palms guest house, where I usually stay. It might be the most reliable, great restaurant on the island. +1 (441) 295-9644.

There is the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (www.buei.bm), and the aquarium/ minizoo near the Flatts (http://www.bamz.org/plan_your_visit.aspx).

St. George's is the old town at one end of the island. Look at the little museum there talking about Bermuda's role during the civil war. St. Katherine's fort is a stone fort on the ocean near St. George's, complete with cannon and the like, and a small little display of weapons and such. Fun for boys. Interesting, actually, as Bermuda history. I was just there last year. Getting out there is a pain, I guess you'd just have to hire a cabbie who would wait and kill time. Maybe talk to the hotel about flat rates or something.

Shelly Bay beach is a recreational beach with shallow water on a little sheltered cove. It's a good place to swim. Again, getting there is a cab, I guess.

I just can't recommend renting scooters. I'm there frequently, and too often there is a death from a crash. The roads are confusing, and curvy, and sometimes gravelly, leading to lots of wipeouts. Locals know where they are going and I just feel like there isn't a lot of room for error. I would just count cabs as part of the cost of going there.

Have fun. The locals are generally charming. A very warm and engaging culture.

You won't see any E60s there! Way too big. There are a few 3 series, and a growing number of 1 Series, which you will find quite cute.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Hey, did you ever end up going to BDA?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tab545' post='445423' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:14 PM
Hey, did you ever end up going to BDA?
We did, had a great time! Unfortunately with small children, all they were interested in was the pool or the beach. We did manage to see some of Hamilton and the Dockyards area. Kids did the swimming with the dolphins which they really enjoyed. They also really liked the cave tours and being 120 ft underground. Definitely a place more for adults though. And of course the weather was awesome compared to New Orleans. Highs around 79 is beautiful spring weather to us...
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='445425' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:27 PM
We did, had a great time! Unfortunately with small children, all they were interested in was the pool or the beach. We did manage to see some of Hamilton and the Dockyards area. Kids did the swimming with the dolphins which they really enjoyed. They also really liked the cave tours and being 120 ft underground. Definitely a place more for adults though. And of course the weather was awesome compared to New Orleans. Highs around 79 is beautiful spring weather to us...
Oh, yeah, I've heard about those dolphins. I've never done it. Glad you had fun. I forgot about the cave. I did that once, years ago.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tab545' post='445732' date='Jul 10 2007, 12:54 PM
Oh, yeah, I've heard about those dolphins. I've never done it. Glad you had fun. I forgot about the cave. I did that once, years ago.
And thanks for your suggestions tab! Didn't get to do much fine dining with the kids, mostly ate at the resort (Cambridge Beaches). Just too easy plus between my brother and his family and my parents we were 10 people. I did forget to mention the aquarium/zoo, the kids loved that one too. Unfortunately never made it out to St. George's, just have to save it for next time. Now I understand your comments about renting scooters! No way I'd do that with kids and likely not at all. Really is a beautiful place though and you were right about the people, very pleasant.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I'd have some fun on the beach, go scuba diving and go dining in the evening.

Heading to Bermuda for a few days-dive_2520flag.jpg
Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='445765' date='Jul 10 2007, 01:46 PM
I'd have some fun on the beach, go scuba diving and go dining in the evening.

Attachment 35140
Oh yes, good ideas. Did plenty of 1 and 3. Would have loved to go diving but my youngest has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and we just couldn't leave him alone with the grandparents. They have no clue about all the testing and shots he requires, so we had to stay kind of close by or take him with us.