Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Got a parking ticket.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1069931' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:32 AM
you dont have to go to court for a fire lane ticket. period. Nowhere in NY. period. There is no such thing as reducing non-moving violations/parking tickets. there are no points involved, strictly a fine. you just pay it.

So basically there is more to the story. you are looking for advice by beating around the bush. the bush being the truth in this case.

Even if you are telling the truth... you do not have the right to park in the fire lane under the law for ANY REASON WHATSOEVER period.

period.
Simply not true. Different parking violation have different fines. The police officer or prosecuting attorney (depending upon the city, town, village, etc.) often have the authority to change the violation to another violation with a lesser fine. For example, parked in a fire lane can be reduced to overtime parking, or something similar. I do it all the time in the town where I work, getting $50 "meter feeding" violation 7reduced to $15 overtime parking violations. With every ticket, moving violation or parking, you have the right to plead not guilt and appear in court. Of course, if you plead guilty, you do not need to appear, but will be hit with the fine stated on the face of the ticket.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' post='1070221' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:35 AM
Simply not true. Different parking violation have different fines. The police officer or prosecuting attorney (depending upon the city, town, village, etc.) often have the authority to change the violation to another violation with a lesser fine. For example, parked in a fire lane can be reduced to overtime parking, or something similar. I do it all the time in the town where I work, getting $50 "meter feeding" violation 7reduced to $15 overtime parking violations. With every ticket, moving violation or parking, you have the right to plead not guilt and appear in court. Of course, if you plead guilty, you do not need to appear, but will be hit with the fine stated on the face of the ticket.
fire lane tickets are issued to the owner tied to the vehicle, whereas a moving violation is issued to an operator, regardless of the vehicles owner. you are telling me if I got a ticket in a company vehicle, that my boss is going to court? not so.

the one gray area here is red-light cameras. tickets are issued to the owner of the vehicle. no points/no reductions possible. owner pays a fine. no court appearance, regardless of who was driving.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1070225' date='Dec 8 2009, 11:41 AM
fire lane tickets are issued to the owner tied to the vehicle, whereas a moving violation is issued to an operator, regardless of the vehicles owner. you are telling me if I got a ticket in a company vehicle, that my boss is going to court? not so.

the one gray area here is red-light cameras. tickets are issued to the owner of the vehicle. no points/no reductions possible. owner pays a fine. no court appearance, regardless of who was driving.

All parking tickets are issued to the owner because there is typically no driver present to whom the ticket can be issued. Whether it is a parking ticket or a red-light camera, you can a;ways plead not guilty and go to court.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

i guess the moral o this story is lets just take the extra time to find the right spots? =p damn that sucks vlad i would of told the meter maid WTH you saw me running you got something against asians?! lol
Old 12-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' post='1070226' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:58 AM
All parking tickets are issued to the owner because there is typically no driver present to whom the ticket can be issued. Whether it is a parking ticket or a red-light camera, you can a;ways plead not guilty and go to court.
who can plead not guilty? the car, the owner of the car? it is just a fine. it would be way to easy to say the car was borrowed when it was illegally parked. it has been a while, but i have studied the NYS V&T laws.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1070242' date='Dec 8 2009, 12:32 PM
who can plead not guilty? the car, the owner of the car? it is just a fine. it would be way to easy to say the car was borrowed when it was illegally parked. it has been a while, but i have studied the NYS V&T laws.

Are you saying that you cannot plead not guilty to a parking ticket? I personally have plead not guilty to parking tickets and have had trials on parking tickets.
Under NY VTL ?239, owners of vehicles are liable for parking violations (with a right to recover from the operator if different from the owner). Assuming the owner gets notice of the ticket, the owner can plead not guilty. The fact that the owner was not the operator would not be a defense (to a parking ticket, but it is a defense to moving violations).

So for the thread high jack.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Maybe you shouldn't have parked in the fire lane in the first place, even if it was for six minutes...I don't see why you couldn't have dropped your friend off and driven around the lot, or found a spot and he/she could have come to the spot after picking up the medicine. I guess the cop could have knocked on your window and given you a courtesy warning. But you were still breaking the law and he was just doing his job.

Just pay the fine and stop complaining.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Public safety this time of year is probably a major concern. In addition to that, handing out tickets is an easy way for local governments to make some quick cash in these hard economic times.