Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Google Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='326735' date='Aug 25 2006, 06:24 AM
huh? *They* blamed BMW for what? Localized redirection is very common. It's not just Google and BMW doing it.
That's right, and it makes sense most of the time. I had some experience of how Google does it on a recent trip, when I was in London opening Google got me directed to google.co.uk, I returned to the US via Canada and was directed to the google.ca site and got back to the US and was back to google.com as normal, all with no intervention from me.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='326708' date='Aug 25 2006, 05:57 AM
What pi**es me off about the google/doorpage thing is, if I, located in Germany, want to open google.com I get redirected to google.de.
So, they are doing the same stuff, but they blame BMW on doing something like this.
In both cases you are redirected to another page with the same content, but how can they blame BMW when they do it themselfes?
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
That's not really an apples to apples comparision though Ice . Google generally localizes results and searches for local markets such as Germany so that search results are more relevant for most users most of the time. BMW's intentions (as described in the links I posted) were to increase the likelihood that certain specific searches were more likely to return a higher ranking for BMW pages. Google has some very advanced search language and tools that can get round the problems you described, unfortunately I don't think there is any general preference setting that you can use to force it to localize on any specific country or region (there probably should be).
Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='326783' date='Aug 25 2006, 10:51 AM
I don't think there is any general preference setting that you can use to force it to localize on any specific country or region (there probably should be).
How about using a public proxy server?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='326800' date='Aug 25 2006, 08:59 AM
How about using a public proxy server?
Yep - that's a good idea!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by swajames' post='326783' date='Aug 25 2006, 04:51 PM
That's not really an apples to apples comparision though Ice . Google generally localizes results and searches for local markets such as Germany so that search results are more relevant for most users most of the time. BMW's intentions (as described in the links I posted) were to increase the likelihood that certain specific searches were more likely to return a higher ranking for BMW pages. Google has some very advanced search language and tools that can get round the problems you described, unfortunately I don't think there is any general preference setting that you can use to force it to localize on any specific country or region (there probably should be).

BMW had door pages, because the real website was in Java or such, which the most search engines don't find when searching the web. So they put up the HTML page so that ppl can find the content. The content of the site was nothing else than what you were searching for. They did this for cutomer convenience, and Google is doing the same. For customer convenience they redirect you to their local gateway, even though you typed in the US gateway. Mainly that's because they want to bomb you with advertising in your language.
I think they should do it like CNN. You can select yourself if you get the local or the real cnn page.
So, it's not compariong two real different things. The idea behind it is the same, there's no difference. So they blamed BMW for something that is absolutely normal (unfortunately) on the internet and what they do themselfs.
If I type in google.com, I don't want google.de period!
If I search for some BMW stuff, and their site is Java and can't be detected by all search engines, and they put up a HTML site which redirects you to the content you are looking for, this is OK, IMHO.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='326831' date='Aug 25 2006, 10:13 AM

BMW had door pages, because the real website was in Java or such, which the most search engines don't find when searching the web. So they put up the HTML page so that ppl can find the content. The content of the site was nothing else than what you were searching for. They did this for cutomer convenience, and Google is doing the same. For customer convenience they redirect you to their local gateway, even though you typed in the US gateway. Mainly that's because they want to bomb you with advertising in your language.
I think they should do it like CNN. You can select yourself if you get the local or the real cnn page.
So, it's not compariong two real different things. The idea behind it is the same, there's no difference. So they blamed BMW for something that is absolutely normal (unfortunately) on the internet and what they do themselfs.
If I type in google.com, I don't want google.de period!
If I search for some BMW stuff, and their site is Java and can't be detected by all search engines, and they put up a HTML site which redirects you to the content you are looking for, this is OK, IMHO.
Well, the issue wasn't what BMW were trying to do (which makes sense as you say) but how it was implemented. It was apparently a little more than you suggest - and of course not everyone gets temporarily "banned". There was a lot of info on this at the time it happened. The second link below is a blog of a Google employee.

http://blog.outer-court.com/archive/2006-02-01-n31.html

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ramping-up-o...tional-webspam/
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by swajames' post='326844' date='Aug 25 2006, 07:33 PM
Well, the issue wasn't what BMW were trying to do (which makes sense as you say) but how it was implemented. It was apparently a little more than you suggest - and of course not everyone gets temporarily "banned". There was a lot of info on this at the time it happened. The second link below is a blog of a Google employee.

http://blog.outer-court.com/archive/2006-02-01-n31.html

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ramping-up-o...tional-webspam/

Just by reading the second link I can't see why and where it is MORE than I allready said.

That?s a violation of our webmaster quality guidelines, specifically the principle of ?Don?t deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users.?

The content the search engine got was the HTML page about BMW's new cars, the content the user got redirected at was a Java page with the same, BMW's new cars.
Only for technical reasons there was a HTML site. The content was NOT different! But on Google it IS, since google.com shows difefrent advertisings as the German page. So Google should start looking at their own stuff first, before making judgements on others!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='326854' date='Aug 25 2006, 11:09 AM
Just by reading the second link I can't see why and where it is MORE than I allready said.

The content the search engine got was the HTML page about BMW's new cars, the content the user got redirected at was a Java page with the same, BMW's new cars.
Only for technical reasons there was a HTML site. The content was NOT different! But on Google it IS, since google.com shows difefrent advertisings as the German page. So Google should start looking at their own stuff first, before making judgements on others!!!
Well, not quite! The content of the doorway and redirected pages was not the same, it was radically different. There were text references (for example 42 references to Gebrauchtwagen) in the doorway that appeared once or maybe twice in the HTML page. Multiple references like this are designed to do one thing - increase the Google ranking - and BMW itself appears to have accepted that it was a mistake and it corrected it. At the end of the day Google makes the rules about what is or isn't acceptable on Google.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I just tried to enter the link provided in the blog.
If you do this, you get a BMW page which is pretty much empty, only providing a link that redirects you to the page that was shown before they had to remove the script for Google.
So, NOW there's no convenience at all, it only looks stupid.
Google forced BMW to do something silly which is unconvenient for the users.

I have never been a fan of Google and will never be.
I don't use them.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by swajames' post='326865' date='Aug 25 2006, 08:24 PM
... and BMW itself appears to have accepted that it was a mistake and it corrected it. At the end of the day Google makes the rules about what is or isn't acceptable on Google.
Not at all.
BMW can NOT force Google into anything. If Google removes the sites for whatever reason, BMW can only do what they want them to do or don't. If don't, they will not be present in Google anymore.
The fact that they adjusted everything for Google is not meaning that BMW knew they made a mistake, it's only a business decission, it's about being present or not.

For me, Google sux. And that has nothing to do with the BMW story.

Quick Reply: Google Search