Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Good news!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/6249626.stm
Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

Great to hear. Is it me or is this F1 season amazing to watch.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='441246' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:56 PM
you are lucky cos the last few year it has been quite boring.
F1 so far has been very good to watch, it will be better later on in the year I think.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='441256' date='Jun 29 2007, 09:22 AM
you are lucky cos the last few year it has been quite boring.
F1 so far has been very good to watch, it will be better later on in the year I think.
Yeah! Agree this season is fantastic!

I wonder what else Shumi's fans have to say now, when at his retirement mumbled that with Schumi F1 kinda lost it.

And I'm also glad Kubica is back. I'd like to see how much of an impact did that accident have on his mind.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='441246' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:56 PM
This is my first year of following F1 and I can't believe it's taken me so long. Mainly, been turned off by Nascar but F1 is amazing.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Just chiming in to say that I too think this season has been the best in years.
I've been following F1 for a long time and the rules/regulations have constantly changed, primarily to increase safety. Spoiler dimensions have been getting smaller, number of pistons and engine displacement decreasing, tire compound getting harder, etc...all intended to decrease speed. One would think that this would negatively affect the enjoyment of watching a race, but this hasn't been so for me. Oh, and I never use to bother watching qualifications. This season the FIA is using a three round process that goes something like this:

For Q1 you have all the cars on the field trying to clock their quickest lap in 15 minutes. This is your typical qualifications method and how it use to be for previous seasons. For 2007 however, they take the last 6 positions and eliminate them from continuing to Q2. Those last 6 positions will start the race at positions 17 - 22.

Q2 has the remainding 16 drivers going at it again for another 15 minutes. Once again, the slowest 6 drivers are eliminated from continuing the qualifications process and will hold positions 11 - 16 on race day.

Finally, for Q3, the remainding 10 drivers will again have 15 minutes to record their quickest lap to determine their places on the grid for race day. This is where it gets interesting...

For this last qualification round, all 10 drivers MUST drive with the fuel load that they intend on starting with on race day. Whatever fuel they use for this last qualifying session gets refilled for race day. This new rule really influences whether your team will use a 1-stop or 2-stop strategy for race day. For example, you can compete in Q3 with very low fuel (the reduced overall weight increases your chance at getting pole position). However, during the actual race, you must begin the race with that same amount of fuel which you started with in Q3. This means that you will have to pit more than your competitors during race day.

Lastly, look for a white stripe along the thread of the tires. This indicates that it is the softer compound tire. If you're one of the drivers that made it into Q3 and you still have not used the soft tire, you must use it now during this last qualification round. Depending on the track they are racing on and the current weather situation you may want to use the soft tire during Q1 or Q2 but that again is a strategy the teams will have to determine.

Qualifications is awesome!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='441574' date='Jun 30 2007, 06:41 AM
This is my first year of following F1 and I can't believe it's taken me so long. Mainly, been turned off by Nascar but F1 is amazing.
Nascar that not racing
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Ever since they implemented the new quali format in 2006, things have gone great for F1. Its very exciting to watch the 3 knockout quali sessions. Also sorry to all M.Schumacher fans, but I think its been a blessing that he left the series. The best change this year in F1 would have to be the end of the tire war, everyone runs on the same rubber, the true racing potential of the cars show. And of course Hamilton has been a great addition to the field and F1 all together.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='442346' date='Jul 2 2007, 06:35 AM
Ever since they implemented the new quali format in 2006, things have gone great for F1. Its very exciting to watch the 3 knockout quali sessions. Also sorry to all M.Schumacher fans, but I think its been a blessing that he left the series. The best change this year in F1 would have to be the end of the tire war, everyone runs on the same rubber, the true racing potential of the cars show. And of course Hamilton has been a great addition to the field and F1 all together.
Yeah it looks like the end of any kind of favoritism or stuff like that, or even discussions on this theme, like we had on the time of the Red Baron and his "evil" team
Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='442159' date='Jul 1 2007, 06:50 PM
Nascar that not racing
Nascar is imo at the bottom of the motoracing.

Quick Reply: Good news!