Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Going to Tokyo .... food, club, fun suggestions ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi -- took delivery January 24th, 2008 -- Space Gray w/black dakota leather interior and Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Logic7 / Bluetooth / IPOD / NAV / 18" Star Spoke 124s...BUT I could not resist the M Aero Kit, tinting the windows and adding front/rear blacked-out Roundels

I have a unique opportunity to tag along with a friend and visit Tokyo, Japan and Shanghai, China mid-October.
Anyone have any suggestions on places to go and see?
Any members currently from Tokyo or Shanghai?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by vamvaka' post='677712' date='Sep 25 2008, 01:09 AM
I have a unique opportunity to tag along with a friend and visit Tokyo, Japan and Shanghai, China mid-October.
Anyone have any suggestions on places to go and see?
Any members currently from Tokyo or Shanghai?
I'm actually set to go for business in late October. Going to HK and Tokyo. Would love to hear suggestions as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Members

I've been to both and Tokyo was my favorite. Check to see if the Moto GP of Motegi or in Shanghai are running when you are there. Also, I did not get to go to the fish market in Tokyo and heard it was really neat. Tokyo felt a lot like Manhattan to me. It was very cosmopolitan and the population there are very used to seeing Westerners so you don't get any odd looks. Now that the Olympics has come and gone in Shanghai you probably wouldn't get any odd looks there either, but when we went back in '04 I did feel very out of place and not welcomed. You'll laugh, but eat a McDonalds hamburger in Tokyo - freaking best hamburger you'll ever eat. Obviously need to sample all of the local fare and authentic Japanese as well, but I'm not joking about the burger! My best advice is just to get out of the city and see what you can of the countryside. A city is a city, but outside of it you'll really get a feel for the country and its people. Japan was AMAZING and I would love to go again some day and see more of it. Wish I could have ridden the bullet train but didn't get to do that either. Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope you have a wonderful time! Take lots of photos & keep a travel blog or journal so you don't forget things you saw & did.
Have fun!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi -- took delivery January 24th, 2008 -- Space Gray w/black dakota leather interior and Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Logic7 / Bluetooth / IPOD / NAV / 18" Star Spoke 124s...BUT I could not resist the M Aero Kit, tinting the windows and adding front/rear blacked-out Roundels

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='678529' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:19 PM
I've been to both and Tokyo was my favorite. Check to see if the Moto GP of Motegi or in Shanghai are running when you are there. Also, I did not get to go to the fish market in Tokyo and heard it was really neat. Tokyo felt a lot like Manhattan to me. It was very cosmopolitan and the population there are very used to seeing Westerners so you don't get any odd looks. Now that the Olympics has come and gone in Shanghai you probably wouldn't get any odd looks there either, but when we went back in '04 I did feel very out of place and not welcomed. You'll laugh, but eat a McDonalds hamburger in Tokyo - freaking best hamburger you'll ever eat. Obviously need to sample all of the local fare and authentic Japanese as well, but I'm not joking about the burger! My best advice is just to get out of the city and see what you can of the countryside. A city is a city, but outside of it you'll really get a feel for the country and its people. Japan was AMAZING and I would love to go again some day and see more of it. Wish I could have ridden the bullet train but didn't get to do that either. Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope you have a wonderful time! Take lots of photos & keep a travel blog or journal so you don't forget things you saw & did.
Have fun!
Thank you!! I hear you on McD! It is the same thing when I go to Greece. It is truly a restaurant overseas!!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

try the dog and rat.. i hear its great just kidding.. enjoy your trip
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

i'll be in hong kong and tokyo mid oct...e60 meet overseas?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Shinjuku in Tokyo for fun!