Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Going to Skip Barber Racing School Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my Dad booked 2 days of driving school at Skip Barber Driving/Racing School for himself, my sister, and me. We are basically going to learn how to counter-steer and correct once we loose control on the skid pad, and learn other various maneuvers...skid pad is going to be a LOT of fun . I won't be driving the M, but we will probably be driving Mazda RX-8 or MX-5 stick shift's. Gonna be a great time, and might even bring down the insurance cost....

Anyway, I will take some pics and maybe even a few vids over the next few days and post them up after the weekend

Stay tuned

-Krozi
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Have fun, Marc. Tear it up.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Nice! It's a great experience and you'll realize every thing you knew is WRONG.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Hahahaha interesting
Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
That's not necessarily true. I learned to drive up north with snow all winter. I was drifting and counter steering on snow by the age of 17. By 19 I felt like a pro. The techniques learned on a skid pad are exactly the same.

PS: Have lots of fun and take lots of pics and vids.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

NO! Don't SKIP school, that's bad.

Have fun and share what you learn .
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
That's not necessarily true. I learned to drive up north with snow all winter. I was drifting and counter steering on snow by the age of 17. By 19 I felt like a pro. The techniques learned on a skid pad are exactly the same.

PS: Have lots of fun and take lots of pics and vids.
It's definitly going to be a lot of fun Gonna flood the server with pics/vids
Originally Posted by Rizbel
NO! Don't SKIP school, that's bad.

Have fun and share what you learn .

Will do, thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Today was freaking AWESOME

We went on the skid pad and learned how to correct and recover after the rear breaks loose, then we did emergency breaking with ABS on and off, and learned how to break JUST before the lock-up threshhold by pumping the breaks when you feel the tires locking up, turns out you can stop A LOT sooner by using proper technique EVEN with ABS on. Then we went learned how to break in a turn and hitting the APEX. After lunch we did
some shiftig excercises and learned how to heal-toe down shift....today was insanely fun

Tomorrow is emergency lane changes across 2 lanes, power slide around the entire skid pad, and then autocross, followed
by a competition between everyone in the program on the autocross. Can't wait

Pictures and a full edited video will be uploaded soon
Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Krozi
Today was freaking AWESOME

We went on the skid pad and learned how to correct and recover after the rear breaks loose, then we did emergency breaking with ABS on and off, and learned how to break JUST before the lock-up threshhold by pumping the breaks when you feel the tires locking up, turns out you can stop A LOT sooner by using proper technique EVEN with ABS on. Then we went learned how to break in a turn and hitting the APEX. After lunch we did
some shiftig excercises and learned how to heal-toe down shift....today was insanely fun

Tomorrow is emergency lane changes across 2 lanes, power slide around the entire skid pad, and then autocross, followed
by a competition between everyone in the program on the autocross. Can't wait

Pictures and a full edited video will be uploaded soon
Wow, that sounds like a ton of fun. Enjoy it Marc.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Have fun ... learn lots - post vids

But don't forget to give your brakes a break with all that fancy driving

Quick Reply: Going to Skip Barber Racing School Tomorrow