Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

global warming

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='402081' date='Mar 13 2007, 03:35 AM
well according to studies from the UN were reported and presented by beck, animals and livestock contribute more to global warming than cars and trucks worldwide.
In the documentary "the global warming swindle" this issue is also brought up. I suggest you check the link in one of the above posts, it also brings up other interesting points.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by swajames' post='386518' date='Feb 2 2007, 01:34 AM
Junkscience.com is operated by Steven Milloy. Mr Milloy writes for FoxNews.com. You may as well ask Bill O'Reilly for his "fair and balanced" perspective on global warming.

LMAO.....that is really funny.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='387240' date='Feb 3 2007, 05:41 PM
I think an independent review (not Crichton's argument from a bias against science) would turn up more good science (examining the paleo record, for instance, which examines what happened during previous climate changes and and can be used to confirm hypothesis) than some might realize. And you clearly are smart enough to know that what is missing in the pirate example above is basic reasoning. There is no hypothesis of why or how the "global average temperature" might be related to the number of pirates, and so no expriment can be designed test it.

My real point in the beginning was that scientists, doing real science using the scientifc method, have reached consensus; my timing was fortuitous given the recent announcement by the IPCC. The American Meteorological Society, the American Geophysical Union, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science all have issued statements in recent years concluding that the evidence for human modification of climate is compelling. They may all be wrong. Scientists using the scientific method may turn that consensus around as more data is developed. After all, the consensus was that the sun revolved around the earth until better models were developed. But I reject Crichton's "belief", and the efforts of politicians to confuse people on this issue, and the actions of Exxon-Mobil's AEI to bribe scientists with $10K to undermine the IPCC report.

... what is your definition of a "real scientist"? one that has findings that are similiar to your beliefs?, or is it based purely on science? the fact of the matter is that any true scientist would have to concede that in terms of empherical data, we as a society have nearly nothing to make a true determination. In fact, we know so little as it goes against all scientific reasoning to make any such judgements on the possible climate abberations we are living through....we have less than 100 years of actual data out of 4.5 billion years that the Earth has been in existence....thats 2.22222E-10 if you are scentific, meaning we know nothing.PERIOD. Everything else we know is based on educated guesses from fossil evidence....what we do know, is that during many epochs on the earth, the temperature has varied greatly. in fact, we've mostly been a HOT world, not a cold world. what can be argured, rather intelligently, is that we are coming out of an ice age and that is what is fueling the polar melting we're seeing....there was a long, long period of time when most of the world was tropical, most of the US was tropical while the dinosaurs lived for hundreds of millions of years...so if the world was tropical for hundreds of millions of years at a time where there was no industrial revolution, then perhaps climate itself is controllled more by the sun -earth-moon system, than many "politically correct' scientist will admit.

the biggest problems with humans is the pure lack of acceptance in the meaninglessness of our existences...only in our self aggrandizement can we try to make it seem as if we have a lasting effect on this planet, when in fact we will probably not even register much more than a sedimentary layer in the rocks when all is said and done.

Real scientist are sceptical and in fact, there are many, many scientist that are doing the "true science" that you speak of, and there are just as many competing theories for why we are warming if you will as to what the root cause may be...one leading european scientist who's research that I follow is Henrik Svensmark who runs the Danish National Space center. He's been researching climate change for decades and has alot of convincing evidence on the variability of the sun and its effect on climate change experienced on earth...there are many others with other studies as well, but the fact is that we know very little, and it is incompetent to not lay out the facts and opposing and supporting ideas and arguments, and merely state that humans and CO2 emissions are driving climate change on earth...there is nothing to support that, other than some self serving PC scientist......please stop the insanity, we are nothingness, and long after humans are gone, the earth will still live on......
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='402081' date='Mar 13 2007, 02:35 AM
[snip] according to studies from the UN were reported and presented by beck, animals and livestock contribute more to global warming than cars and trucks worldwide. [snip]
Bullshit!!!

Er, actually... perhaps... oh, never mind.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by m630' post='404686' date='Mar 19 2007, 04:54 PM
... what is your definition of a "real scientist"? one that has findings that are similiar to your beliefs?, or is it based purely on science? the fact of the matter is that any true scientist would have to concede that in terms of empherical data, we as a society have nearly nothing to make a true determination. In fact, we know so little as it goes against all scientific reasoning to make any such judgements on the possible climate abberations we are living through....we have less than 100 years of actual data out of 4.5 billion years that the Earth has been in existence....thats 2.22222E-10 if you are scentific, meaning we know nothing.PERIOD. Everything else we know is based on educated guesses from fossil evidence....what we do know, is that during many epochs on the earth, the temperature has varied greatly. in fact, we've mostly been a HOT world, not a cold world. what can be argured, rather intelligently, is that we are coming out of an ice age and that is what is fueling the polar melting we're seeing....there was a long, long period of time when most of the world was tropical, most of the US was tropical while the dinosaurs lived for hundreds of millions of years...so if the world was tropical for hundreds of millions of years at a time where there was no industrial revolution, then perhaps climate itself is controllled more by the sun -earth-moon system, than many "politically correct' scientist will admit.

the biggest problems with humans is the pure lack of acceptance in the meaninglessness of our existences...only in our self aggrandizement can we try to make it seem as if we have a lasting effect on this planet, when in fact we will probably not even register much more than a sedimentary layer in the rocks when all is said and done.

Real scientist are sceptical and in fact, there are many, many scientist that are doing the "true science" that you speak of, and there are just as many competing theories for why we are warming if you will as to what the root cause may be...one leading european scientist who's research that I follow is Henrik Svensmark who runs the Danish National Space center. He's been researching climate change for decades and has alot of convincing evidence on the variability of the sun and its effect on climate change experienced on earth...there are many others with other studies as well, but the fact is that we know very little, and it is incompetent to not lay out the facts and opposing and supporting ideas and arguments, and merely state that humans and CO2 emissions are driving climate change on earth...there is nothing to support that, other than some self serving PC scientist......please stop the insanity, we are nothingness, and long after humans are gone, the earth will still live on......

Wow....dont I suddenly feel rather insignificant...
Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='404734' date='Mar 19 2007, 06:46 PM
Wow....dont I suddenly feel rather insignificant...
fear not! though we trully are, take the time to look around an appreciate the physical universe and perhaps the true meaninglessness of our existences can be minimized

Dr. Carl Sagan wrote a great book named 'A Pale Blue Dot', a reference to the earth as seen from a picture taken at the end of the Voyager I planetary mission that he was responsible for getting taken...that pix is below now and looking closely and you will see what we (on earth) look like from nearly 4 billion miles away, nothing more than a spec of dust that you probably would overlook if I had not pointed it out...below is an exerpt from the book and Dr. Sagan's lasting words that ring true more than ever....

"It has been my great good fortune to be involved in an extraordinary enterprise over the last thirty five years in which the human species sent robot exploratory vehicles to rummage through the planetary part of the solar system to survey our local swimming hole in space.
One of these spacecraft, a two spacecraft mission, was called Voyager and in 1989 after its brilliantly successful explorations of the Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune system, it became possible to do something I had wanted to do from the very beginning of that mission, and that is to turn the cameras around and look back from beyond the outer most planet at our world. We succeeded in doing this and the image that resulted was of a single pale blue dot, momentarily in a sunbeam.

I look at that dot- and I think that's here, that's home, that's us. On that dot, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human-being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joy and suffering, thousands of confident and mutually exclusive religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, every hopeful child, every inventor and explorer, every revered teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there, on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction
of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of those who derived their self esteem from dividing the dot into two hundred still littler patches. Our posturings, our imagined self- importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe are challenged by this point of
pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in a great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves, it is up to us.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It's been said that astronomy is a humbling and even character building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. For me
it underscores our responsibility, our profound responsibility, to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we have ever known. "
Attached Thumbnails global warming-paleblue.jpg   global warming-palebluea.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Climate change seems to be the new religion.

Nothing can be proven, yet it provides the weak-minded do-gooders with some sort of purpose in their pointless little lives.
It all seems pretty harmless, yet these people, just like other religious freaks, are willing to sacrifice everything to serve their cause.
That is where 'climate change' is going to kill us, through our economy.
We are throwing away fortunes on extremely expensive windmill parks and are crippling businesses with the strangest and most far-fetched 'green' taxes.

Want to do something about pollution? Go to India and sort out their factory processes. Another 20 quid surcharge on an airline ticket is not going to make the slightest bit of difference. It just pisses people off.

*off the box now*