Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

global warming

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by sideeffects' post='385960' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:50 PM
It Snowed at my Fathers house in LA last week snow in LA what is that lol!!

A sign of the coming apocalypse?

Hehe.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

it has been reported that in the seasons this year temperatures in many areas have been off what they usually have been. ever since the hurricanes, i guess its been showing more proof that al gore was right about global warming.

i found it amazing how things could change so quickly, other than these cases of global warming and things in life. had a guest speaker today and part of his life was being in pakistan helping out after a 6.5 earthquake. just 31 seconds and it took everything away from so many people.. that really hit me.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Here's a link to opinions on whether the film got the science right.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/06/...urce=newsletter

On global warming itself, I tend to weight scientific consensus more than the opinions of science fiction writers, even really popular ones. But I also find it amazing we still are debating natural selection and have to fight to teach real science in schools.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='386235' date='Feb 1 2007, 08:05 AM
Here's a link to opinions on whether the film got the science right.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/06/...urce=newsletter

On global warming itself, I tend to weight scientific consensus more than the opinions of science fiction writers, even really popular ones. But I also find it amazing we still are debating natural selection and have to fight to teach real science in schools.

Well, you mention opinions and concensus. These aren't science. Michael Crichton graduated from Harvard Medical school, so I think he has every reason to be a valid source of intelligent thought. Especially scientific thought. Doctors - good ones - need to be dogged and thorough researchers with an ability to remain unquestionable experts in a quickly and constantly changing field. Same goes for writers - especially those who write fiction. Think about the depth of detail that someone like Tom Clancy must learn and accurately incorporate into his writings. I heard Tom Wolfe speak to a small group once, and from listening to his anecdotes and stories it was evident just how much embedded research he conducted to make his books as believable and engrossing as possible.

Crichton isn't opining about the science specific to Global Warming, but merely pointing out the clear lack of it. Even a 5th grader has learned enough about the scientific method to be able to come to that kind of a conclusion.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' post='376694' date='Jan 11 2007, 12:20 AM
I saw the same movie and was surprised at the same findings as well. I have to say that in Chicago this year we have had one day of snow and it has not dipped below frezzing. Very odd for CHicago, can't remember the last year it was this warm and with no snow. We haev had 50 degree days in December...never heard of....I have to say that I can see the effects of global warming everyday....Its a real issue that is over looked. I think its an issue that will become more harmful for the next generation and my daughters..... great topic and can go on and on with a debate...
What exactly is a VF SUPER CHARGER 6.0PSI DMS remapping
365hp with Super charger only est and where can I get one to increase the HP in my 530i
Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='386287' date='Feb 1 2007, 11:08 AM
Crichton isn't opining about the science specific to Global Warming, but merely pointing out the clear lack of it. Even a 5th grader has learned enough about the scientific method to be able to come to that kind of a conclusion.
Crichton makes sure everyone knows how smart he is. Have you noticed that his novels tend to have some heroic figure battling against the consensus of experts? And now it is come to real life. If he can't save us from cloned dinosaurs or a robotic Yul Brynner, he can at least use his credentials to fault global warming.

Seriously, if differing hypotheses are tested and present new data that convinces most people doing peer reviewed work in the field that global warming is all baloney, only a fool would argue the case. That's science. But meanwhile, only a fool would ignore what we know, and Crichton should stick to his audience of those 5th graders and people trapped in airport snowstorms in Denver.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='376924' date='Jan 11 2007, 10:04 AM
"If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder in 1990, but eleven degrees colder by the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age."

UC Davis, Kenneth Watt in 1970 on the first Earth Day!

If Al Gore and his scientists are correct. Why have they refused all debates on the subject of thier movie?

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/index.html

Junkscience.com is operated by Steven Milloy. Mr Milloy writes for FoxNews.com. You may as well ask Bill O'Reilly for his "fair and balanced" perspective on global warming.

All you need to know about Mr Milloy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Milloy

And some breaking news: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/02/01...s.ap/index.html
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='376662' date='Jan 11 2007, 11:49 AM
"Aliens Cause Global Warming" - Interesting read...
aliens ha that is funny
Old 02-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

We all know that global warming is proportional to the global decrease in the number of pirates.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='386498' date='Feb 1 2007, 11:53 PM
Seriously, if differing hypotheses are tested and present new data that convinces most people doing peer reviewed work in the field that global warming is all baloney, only a fool would argue the case. That's science.
Well you're at least half right about the science part. The statement should read "test and prove/confirm".... not test and convince. A proven theory required no convincing to reach accepted status. It would have needed to be 100% rooted in factual repeatable results. Tentative theories get solidified by a growing body of supporting -predictable test results-. Conversely, tentative theories that do not survive are those in which testing either cannot produce predictable (the same) results, and/or the growing body of knowledge (read other outcomes, other tests) create more solid theories and supporting factual data. Since testing global warming theory is impossible, we've been presented with bits and pieces of statistical data. Data that has in no way been confirmed as being related in any way to the theorized effect. Sure, it has been cobbled together and it looks very convincing - but lots of things can be crafted to appear this way. Look at the post above this one - silly I know, but it attempts to subtly make the same point that I am. You aren't a numerologist are you?

But meanwhile, only a fool would ignore what we know, and Crichton should stick to his audience of those 5th graders and people trapped in airport snowstorms in Denver.
Again, we -know- very little. We know this is a polarized issue, and we know that a constant diet of Hollywood environmental disaster movies and nightly news soundblurbs isn't making it any easier for people to challenge the "obvious".

Quick Reply: global warming