Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

First iPhone 4 reviews are in...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The first iPhone 4 reviews are in. MacRumors posted some excerpts.

Walt Mossberg / The Wall Street Journal:
I've been testing the iPhone 4 for more than a week. In both hardware and software, it is a major leap over its already-excellent predecessor, the iPhone 3GS.

It has some downsides and limitations - most important, the overwhelmed AT&T network in the U.S., which, in my tests, the new phone handled sometimes better and, unfortunately, sometimes worse than its predecessor. I'll get into that below. But, overall, Apple has delivered a big, well-designed update that, in my view, keeps it in the lead in the smartphone wars.

David Pogue / The New York Times:
Despite the strong initial, positive reaction, this must still be a nerve-racking time to be Apple; the iPhone is no longer the only worthy contender. Phones running Google's Android software are gaining rave reviews and packing in features that iPhone owners can only envy. The Android app store is ballooning, multiple phone makers are competing, and Google updates the software several times a year. Apple releases only one new model a year, so the new iPhone had better be pretty amazing to compete.

It is.

Ed Baig / USA Today:
The new iPhone 4 I've been testing for about a week and a half - along with the major refresh of the mobile operating system software at the core of recent models - demonstrates once again why Apple's handset is the one to beat, even as it faces fierce competition from phones based on Google's Android platform, among others..

Joshua Topolsky / Engadget:
We're not going to beat around the bush -- in our approximation, the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone on the market right now. The combination of gorgeous new hardware, that amazing display, upgraded cameras, and major improvements to the operating system make this an extremely formidable package. Yes, there are still pain points that we want to see Apple fix, and yes, there are some amazing alternatives to the iPhone 4 out there. But when it comes to the total package -- fit and finish in both software and hardware, performance, app selection, and all of the little details that make a device like this what it is -- we think it's the cream of the current crop.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

so how many AAPL shares do you own swammy???? LOL only goofing with ya.

i just finished reading the engadget review and it sounds pretty good...there are definitely things im not a fan of, but them saying it has the buildquality of a leica, has me tempted.
ive never bought myself anything from apple (only for other people), but this one has me seriously questioning whether or not to buy it. its definitely time for a trip to the mall this weekend for a test drive.

verizon people always talk about how they wish verizon had the iphone, well as a lifelong att/cingular guy im wishing att would actually get a good android phone!!!!

all the apple folk who preordered it lets hear your reviews.....
Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by pipper
so how many AAPL shares do you own swammy???? LOL only goofing with ya.

i just finished reading the engadget review and it sounds pretty good...there are definitely things im not a fan of, but them saying it has the buildquality of a leica, has me tempted.
ive never bought myself anything from apple (only for other people), but this one has me seriously questioning whether or not to buy it. its definitely time for a trip to the mall this weekend for a test drive.

verizon people always talk about how they wish verizon had the iphone, well as a lifelong att/cingular guy im wishing att would actually get a good android phone!!!!

all the apple folk who preordered it lets hear your reviews.....
No AAPL stock here, pipper. I used to work for a Big 4 CPA firm which audited AAPL and thus it is was a prohibited stock for anyone in the management group... Mind you, if I'd bought after I changed to a different firm, I'd have more than doubled my money...

BTW AT&T is supposedly getting some updated Android devices soon.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Steven, did you hear? Verizon is releasing the Droid X next month, supposed to be the equal of the iPhone 4.
Also, Foxcomm the company that makes the iPhones and most devices for Apple, Cisco, et al, can potentially lose the contract due to the stress level their managers are under - they have had more than a dozen managers commit suicide by jumping off their factories in China this year and Apple and the others are contemplating pulling the contracts if working conditions do not improve.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Steven, did you hear? Verizon is releasing the Droid X next month, supposed to be the equal of the iPhone 4.
Also, Foxcomm the company that makes the iPhones and most devices for Apple, Cisco, et al, can potentially lose the contract due to the stress level their managers are under - they have had more than a dozen managers commit suicide by jumping off their factories in China this year and Apple and the others are contemplating pulling the contracts if working conditions do not improve.
I did indeed my friend, there was a press launch today for the Droid X obviously timed to get some coverage right before the iPhone goes on sale. Droid X looks like a great phone. Definitely good for all of us if Apple, Moto and HTC keep trying to one-up each other. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on the new Android phones. It is interesting though that Apple gets so much mindshare. Not to put too fine a point on it, had it been a Moto engineer leaving a prototype Droid X in a bar a month or two back, would anyone have been overly interested? You'd certainly struggle to see Gizmodo forking out 5K to get their hands on it...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

I got mine today, and all I can say is WOW.

The quality of this phone vs the 3G or 3GS is without a doubt much better. It feels better in your hand, and doesn't feel so... cheap anymore. It looks fantastic, although the screen and back to smudge real easily.
Performance-wise, again it is far more superb than the 3G or 3GS. The switching between applications, and application start up times are considerably faster.

I haven't put the phone to its full ability yet, but from what I've experienced thus far, it was/is a very worthy investment.

More to come later...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

FaceTime mofos!!

Takes phone sex to another level!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Uh oh... http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band
Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributors

got my phone very easily at best buy this morning after having pre-ordered it. Just came back from the apple store to pick up a bumper... WHAT A NIGHTMARE. 2 huge lines outside, 2 huge lines inside. must be 1000 plus people, and they all smell from standing outside for god knows how long. I was able to get in and out with my bumper in 3 minutes.

The phone is incredible. The screen resolution is unmatched by any handheld device I have seen. the retna display is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. The phone is beautiful with its glass front and back w/ aluminum trim on the side (which i was hesitant to cover up with the bumper). The OS and apps are lightning fast and although i knew it has both a rear and front facing camera, i was still in awe when i hit the little flip button on the screen and it changed to the camera facing me... but im a nerd.

I took some pics of the lines at the apple store which I will post later. I am anxious to see how the pics came out.

Something funny.... In the apple store, there was some lady buying a macbook and she says to a sales rep "all of this chaos is for a phone?" and the rep replys... "ma'am... It is so much more then just a phone".

He is right. I am not an apple fanboy, but I am starting to see the "apple culture" that exists and I am starting to understand it. And for those of you who think that is silly... You should probably not speding your time on a BMW forum.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

got my 2 iPhones today (one for me, one for my wife). IT IS AWESOME!

Quick Reply: First iPhone 4 reviews are in...