Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Ever wish you could drive like this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i really hope that not all americans soldiers drive like that...
perhaps they are trying to avoid danger, but they are putting other peoples lives in danger by driving like that... and im sure ur not gonna like it if some one rams ur e60 every time he wants to passs....
Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='384169' date='Jan 28 2007, 03:09 AM
i really hope that not all americans soldiers drive like that...
perhaps they are trying to avoid danger, but they are putting other peoples lives in danger by driving like that... and im sure ur not gonna like it if some one rams ur e60 every time he wants to passs....
Exactly. I mean yeah i understand that he may be under threat with a possible attack but think from the side of all those ramed cars/drivers. What fault did they have?! And isn't it just a bit strange to have a foreing military force smack you in the rear as it pleases in your own country?!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='383961' date='Jan 27 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi 525iSE

My experience is that there are very few countries where there are so many foreigners that their critical mass influences the driving style in a particular country over the style of the locals. More often than not the foreigners adapt to the locals. Plus the locals also change their habits when they go to other countries. I drive very differently when I'm in the UK then when I'm in Poland simply because I adapt to the local style.
Well yeah, I certainly do adapt to different driving styles in different country, but for the select few that I've encountered, they've lived in the country for over 3 to 4 years, and they REFUSE to adapt, and criticize the way of driving of the locals, thats what I dont like, and they think they're "smarter" than us all the time. But hey, there are many very very lenient and nice people out there too, which I certainly do appreciate and respect for their kindness and openness to local experience. Sometimes the only word I find to describe those that don't adapt is "rebellious", they REFUSE to adapt, and are always looking to pick a fight if something was to happen, say an accident, they're the fastest to put blame on the locals, and the easiest to get away with it, because the government cannot touch foreigners. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='384048' date='Jan 27 2007, 10:33 PM
Hmmm... I guess we shouldn't go into stereo types of how Asians (or insert nationality or state of choice here) drive in the US.
I feel for you when you say that, because some "Asians" (sorry to insert nationality and race) do behave very arrogant when they're abroad, but believe me when I say that these are the scums of the Asian society, wherever they go whether its in their own country or other places. No one like those kind of people. But you'll find that a lot of Asians are much more welcoming and very respectful for other people's feelings, culture, and society norms. I can speak for a lot of asians when i say that we are quite modest, at least the ones with a good education and comes from a good family and raised well.

While I personally don't like the way many Americans behave in other countries I can appreciate the position that many of these guys are in where they're a moving target. Perhaps they're trained to avoid being boxed-in or trapped in a traffic situation around areas that there may be a threat of attack.
Very valid point. But in countries like Thailand or Cambodia where they're not in a state of war, foreigners shouldn't feel paranoid that anyone is out to get them or they're potential targets for anyone, but thats a different story if you're in Iraq or something. Very good point, I must admit I didn't think of this.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Busta' post='384150' date='Jan 27 2007, 10:22 PM
Nobody has brought up the fact that they HAVE to drive that like in-order to avoid being killed by insurgents or IED's. If my life was threatened 24/7 you can bet I'll be driving like that.
And you'd also be filming it from inside the vehicle and posting it on the internet?

(Without getting into whether such driving "style" can ever be justified in a territory officially at peace and where US forces are acting as caretakers, or whether insurgents would exist at all if US and allies had behaved differently at several points in recent and not so recent history, starting from the Brits in 1838)