Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make&q

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009 | 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I just finished reading this book "Outliers" and the author - Malcolm Macdowell - talks extensively, among other "outliers", about Beatles and how they basically became THE Beatles while playing countless hours in Hamburg. So when I had time last night (after my gf went to sleep), I uncorked a little something and threw on the Abbey Road CD into my hi-fi. Considering that just about any time anyone asked me "Beatles or Elvis?" my answer was always Elvis, I really - REALLY - got into listening to Beatles last night. I ran through the entire album THREE times back to back. It was probably the first time I truly listened to music this entire year! Meaning, no interruptions, not while driving or doing anything else, no screens to distract me - just close my eyes, relax and let the sound "cure my hurts".

Granted, not everyone will understand this, but I know we've got some audiophiles here, so this thread is for you (and I) to talk about what music moves you.

I'll leave you with the title quote:

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"
Old 12-05-2009 | 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I was never a big fan of the Beetles. Although I can't deny them as being a ground breaking and truely great band.

I've gone through phases. In my early years, I liked top 40 bands (Three Dog Night, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, etc). During College my tastes got harder (Led Zep, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, The Who). Then I went thru a Tom Petty & REM phase. Lately, I've mellowed back out with Coldplay as my current favorite.

I still enjoy "really" listening to the music. I usually don't care about lyrics. Nothing beats Dark Side of the Moon through good headphones.

I just finished a 25 year search for for an album a college roommate had, Armageddon. It's just now been released on CD. I received it a week ago. The first song is killer hard rock and needs to be cranked to be appreciated. The whole album is a great listening experience too.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

V, if you haven't already picked them up, the recently released Beatles remasters are just spectacular - some of the most careful (and high quality) remastering I've ever heard. Well worth picking some of them up, they absolutely breathe new life into already tremendous music.

It's absolutely impossible to understate the impact the Beatles had on modern music. Like them or not, they categorically changed the world. The two most interesting things, however, are how the vast majority of their music has more than stood the test of time and also the innovation and incredible production techniques that they were using even back in the 60's. George Martin of course played a massive role there too, but there's no doubt whatsoever that modern music would not be what it is today without the Beatles. There hasn't been anything like it since.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

I love the Beatles!!!! Abbey Road is their best album to me! The first band that I have really liked growing up! I'm going to have to check out that book. Thanks for sharing V!
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1068268' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:31 PM
V, if you haven't already picked them up, the recently released Beatles remasters are just spectacular - some of the most careful (and high quality) remastering I've ever heard. Well worth picking some of them up, they absolutely breathe new life into already tremendous music.

It's absolutely impossible to understate the impact the Beatles had on modern music. Like them or not, they categorically changed the world. The two most interesting things, however, are how the vast majority of their music has more than stood the test of time and also the innovation and incredible production techniques that they were using even back in the 60's. George Martin of course played a massive role there too, but there's no doubt whatsoever that modern music would not be what it is today without the Beatles. There hasn't been anything like it since.
I heartly 100% agree with you! In those beatles years, special effects weren't available but the beatles were so creative that they have made music sounding like they have used modern technology! I wonder what music would be like today if the beatles had not exist!
Old 12-05-2009 | 09:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='1068253

I've been riding the whole download wave lately, so as a result, I haven't been exactly buying albums lately. I'm planning to get a good starter turntable (starter hi-fi, like a Rega or - hopefully - an Oracle) within the next couple of months, so I'll be re-buying some albums on vinyl.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll definitely try to get it
Old 12-05-2009 | 09:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by radzM' post='1068273' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:45 PM
I heartly 100% agree with you! In those beatles years, special effects weren't available but the beatles were so creative that they have made music sounding like they have used modern technology! I wonder what music would be like today if the beatles had not exist!
I was actually going to say something very similar to this in my OP
Old 12-05-2009 | 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

My rock'n roll addiction started when I first heard Elvis singing Hound Dog.The next major impact was the Beatles in the early 60's (I was at University in London ).I bought every single,EP and LP up to Sergeant Pepper.I donated every one to an appeal for Ethiopia,one of my biggest regrets,the money raised was used to put a Kalashnikov in the hands of 8 year olds.I now have most on CD and still enjoy those lyrics and tunes that you will never forget.Many bring me to tears but I don't know why.I enjoy a lot of classic Rock but every now and then I put on a Beatles album just to remind me what a revolution that really was.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:46 PM
Members

I am from California and I recently spent 3 weeks in Thailand on vacation. We were in a little hole in the wall bar on Reiley (spelling) beach, that had a local Thai guy playing a guitar and singing random songs live. Once he started to sing "Hey Jude", everyone in the bar instantly started to sing along. I have to tell you it was a cool feeling to see so many different people from so many different nationalities singing together as one, all thanks to the Beatles. Just thought I would share, Danny
Old 12-05-2009 | 09:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

The Beatles - enough said...

Quick Reply: "and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make&q