Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Do NOT talk about this!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjinca
Wasn't me, I've never had to duck a smoothie

Very true, maybe I am just getting cynical as I get older, but the more I read/see/hear the more I see that no matter which party they are from ALL politicians are mere whores for lobbyists and don't give a rat's ass about the citizens they supposedly serve.
I forget the dudes name. if any specific key words come to me, i'll have to look. one of my fights with jrowe was about traffic court i think.

Politicians make me sick. I am an exremely socially progressive registered rebublican, because I place fiscal issues above social issues, but now I see there is no hope for us fiscally, I am starting to place social issues above fiscal issues. I now call myself a "liberal" but maintain my status as a registered rebublican. I refuse to vote though, in any election.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by craigm1841
Politicians make me sick. I am an exremely socially progressive registered rebublican, because I place fiscal issues above social issues, but now I see there is no hope for us fiscally, I am starting to place social issues above fiscal issues. I now call myself a "liberal" but maintain my status as a registered rebublican. I refuse to vote though, in any election.

Ha, Craig, I think you just described most of America. I am also fairly liberal, socially, conservative fiscally. I am a registered independent because I am completely disgusted with both parties.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Guys, if we all just abstain from politics, it will only enable the "bad" ones to do more damage! We have to fight for our rights, or perish in the irrelevance of the commercial consequences and terror of environmental implications of the laws we neither had any desire, nor opportunities to dispute. Want examples? Just look at the Energy Independence Act, which in fact enables unchecked hydro-fracking, that leads to numerous deaths, by contaminating the environments, where the drilling is done.

Just look at what happened in Wisconsin. And I'm not taking either side, but the fact that Democrats were absent was, in the end, the core enabler of the anti-democratic action that took place. Had democrats stayed and fought that battle, like men, there would have been no injustice done. But one has to remember - for an argument to be constructive, both parties have to be moral and intelligent. Moral - in the sense that the core moral is to preserve life. And when two moral and intelligent people/sides argue - both sides win. The side that was right will have the satisfaction of having been right, while the side that was wrong will now know what is indeed right. However, when both sides to an argument present their cases with evidence, which is irrelevant to their actual motivation, no good result is possible. That is, essentially, comparing two absolutely false statements and choosing one, which fits best. Kind of like a certain election, where everyone, who has half a brain, clearly see both candidates are liars, but are forced to choose "the lesser evil", huh?

Hence, abstain from the scene, and the entire scene will eat you up for breakfast. How big are you on the grand scale of things, to begin with? And how much smaller are you in the eye of "the system", when you don't fight for your rights at all? Here's an example of how big the issue is: suppose your personal right to free speech was violated right now, would you have a clue on how to effectively right this wrong? And even if you personally do know, how many people in this country do?

Trust me guys, I was born in the Soviet Union - I know what it is like to live in a society, where fear is the only instrument of control, where any and all rights you may have are subject to change without notice. And if you consider something unfair? Best case - people used to get locked up and sent up to Siberian "work camps". Do you know how Stalin-era Soviet government "motivated" people to go to work at the Soviet plants? If you didn't show up to work on time, they would have police come pick you up at your residence and take you somewhere, where you would not have the luxury of choosing whether to get up and go to work in time anymore. If you didn't work, you were "useless"; I'll let you all figure out what fate useless people met with. By some accounts, Stalin's government executed more people than Nazis World-wide during WWII.

And what is a dictator, but a ruler, who is not burdened by the concerns of the people he/she presides over? So, please, don't give up, because if you do, then all will be lost.

Vlad Galt
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Guys, if we all just abstain from politics, it will only enable the "bad" ones to do more damage! We have to fight for our rights, or perish in the irrelevance of the commercial consequences and terror of environmental implications of the laws we neither had any desire, nor opportunities to dispute. Want examples? Just look at the Energy Independence Act, which in fact enables unchecked hydro-fracking, that leads to numerous deaths, by contaminating the environments, where the drilling is done.

Just look at what happened in Wisconsin. And I'm not taking either side, but the fact that Democrats were absent was, in the end, the core enabler of the anti-democratic action that took place. Had democrats stayed and fought that battle, like men, there would have been no injustice done. But one has to remember - for an argument to be constructive, both parties have to be moral and intelligent. Moral - in the sense that the core moral is to preserve life. And when two moral and intelligent people/sides argue - both sides win. The side that was right will have the satisfaction of having been right, while the side that was wrong will now know what is indeed right. However, when both sides to an argument present their cases with evidence, which is irrelevant to their actual motivation, no good result is possible. That is, essentially, comparing two absolutely false statements and choosing one, which fits best. Kind of like a certain election, where everyone, who has half a brain, clearly see both candidates are liars, but are forced to choose "the lesser evil", huh?

Hence, abstain from the scene, and the entire scene will eat you up for breakfast. How big are you on the grand scale of things, to begin with? And how much smaller are you in the eye of "the system", when you don't fight for your rights at all? Here's an example of how big the issue is: suppose your personal right to free speech was violated right now, would you have a clue on how to effectively right this wrong? And even if you personally do know, how many people in this country do?

Trust me guys, I was born in the Soviet Union - I know what it is like to live in a society, where fear is the only instrument of control, where any and all rights you may have are subject to change without notice. And if you consider something unfair? Best case - people used to get locked up and sent up to Siberian "work camps". Do you know how Stalin-era Soviet government "motivated" people to go to work at the Soviet plants? If you didn't show up to work on time, they would have police come pick you up at your residence and take you somewhere, where you would not have the luxury of choosing whether to get up and go to work in time anymore. If you didn't work, you were "useless"; I'll let you all figure out what fate useless people met with. By some accounts, Stalin's government executed more people than Nazis World-wide during WWII.

And what is a dictator, but a ruler, who is not burdened by the concerns of the people he/she presides over? So, please, don't give up, because if you do, then all will be lost.

Vlad Galt
You sound like me a few years ago.

I am small in the eyes of the system, and that is fine with me now. The government really has no bearing on my life as an upstanding citizen. Do I like giving up 30% of my paycheck to federal taxes? no, not really. Luckily I make enough that I do not have to rely on government programs. I am getting laid off from my defense contractor job and will go back to school full time. I wont be making good money personal training part time, but I will still be happy. regardless of what I do, the government has little impact on my life. In the big scheme of things, there are problems that I once wanted to change- but I cant make the change myself, and quite frankly, the majority of Americans are too dumb to even understand what needs to be changed. So what is the point. Yes I could try to make a difference, but what can I do about the 200,000,000 stupid people? I would almost be embarrassed to represent a lot of people.

I have also considered moving to a beach in mexico. Live in some small town outside of cabo and work in cabo.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Contributors

I am small in the eyes of the system, and that is fine with me now. The government really has no bearing on my life as an upstanding citizen. Do I like giving up 30% of my paycheck to federal taxes? no, not really. Luckily I make enough that I do not have to rely on government programs. I am getting laid off from my defense contractor job and will go back to school full time. I wont be making good money personal training part time, but I will still be happy. regardless of what I do, the government has little impact on my life. In the big scheme of things, there are problems that I once wanted to change- but I cant make the change myself, and quite frankly, the majority of Americans are too dumb to even understand what needs to be changed. So what is the point. Yes I could try to make a difference, but what can I do about the 200,000,000 stupid people? I would almost be embarrassed to represent a lot of people.

I have also considered moving to a beach in mexico. Live in some small town outside of cabo and work in cabo.
Beach in Mexico, huh? Looking for cheap drift-oil? Isn't it on the other side of Mexico?

Dude, the world has to wake up before it is too late. When I see people like you - people, who are able, perceptive, capable of original thought - despairing and resorting to "simpler life", abandoning the pursuit of their ideals; I begin to lose faith. If not for capable people, the rest of the world will not have any direction, other than consumption of everything that already exists.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Wow, I completely agree Craig. I have seen us elect the veterans of politics as well as the new "idealists" in recent years (meaning from about 1996-present) and seen nothing really change. No matter if they are Republican or Democrat, no matter if they are new to Washington or long standing members of congress they nothing changes, once the lobbyists get a hold of them they are all whores. It's the gullible and just plain stupid in both parties that think their vote makes a difference (especially in presidential elections **cough** electoral college **cough**).
The only real changes I have seen in the last 30 years was overuse of deregulation, it caused the S&L scandals of the late 80s and the mortgage crisis of this decade. When are we going to learn? Deregulation leads directly to the creation of robber barons, nothing more. At least after the S&L scandal people went to jail, what about this time? Nope, no one went to jail but Madof. Why? Because all the supposed regulators and auditors that could do something to prevent another crisis are all looking forward to their multi-million dollar jobs in the financial firms once they leave office (you don't bite the hand that feeds you).
It is more depressing when I see 46% of my pay going to taxes (federal, state, local, and that BITCH FICA), and then realizing the rich pay NO WHERE near that much. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Contributors

John, that's not true - in the time since 1996, things have been getting gradually worse and worse. Look at the wars we've started and are unable to conclude, as just one example. I don't know exactly why, but it seems that the gradual and steady dumbing down of the population is just getting worse and worse. When I came here in 1995, this was still a beautiful place, full of hope. Now... not so much. Maybe a factor in this is my own coming of age and learning, but I can't shake this feeling like the "general public" is just getting dumber and dumber. And they keep watching Fox and listening to these idiots on Comedy Central - like any of this crap is factual, all the while becoming more and more pathetic by the second... I don't know, maybe its just my opinion, and things really aren't that bad?

I really don't understand also, how come taxes aren't as high for the "wealthy". I don't see any positive contribution from these "rich" people, to offset the fact that their taxes are much lower than yours or mine. If you're gonna give tax breaks to anyone, give them to those guys and girls, who served in Afgan and Iraq - they shouldn't pay any taxes at all. Give tax breaks to those, who do good - not those, who can manipulate the system best. There's a huge gap in enforcement - it is relatively easy to figure out a fraudulent filing for someone, who has very little assets, but when the number of assets increases exponentially - as it does for those, who are wealthy - the task becomes that much harder. And they have the same agents figuring it out, as those, who audit 50-70K incomes. Of course, they miss stuff. Maybe, I'm assuming incorrectly, but it just seems kind of like the system is rigged in favor of those who screw it over, in a way.

Then, I look at Japan, and try to think about their govt, and how they are clearly covering up the radiation situation. In the meantime, scientists all over the Globe have detected traces of radioactive iodine, so I just assume this shit is in all of our water and air. And hey, I understand that it is an incredible disaster. I just don't understand, why all the secrecy? What the frrruck are they trying to protect? Not innocent civilians - that's for fucking sure! And I look at that, and think "how close are we to that type of a government here in the U.S.?" Look at the oil spill a year ago - have we learned anything at all? Where is that future that is essential to ensure the survival of us, as a species? Where's the clean energy? The betterment of the environment? All I see is another permit approved for drilling and kids shooting each other in school cafeterias... I cannot help, but keep asking myself "how can I make it better? what can I do to help?" - but any and all effort I try to put in that direction meets with an unyielding wall of ignorance. Be it from "higher ups", peers, or "public"...

so I come "here"... cuz "what can you know about yourself, if you've never been in a fight?"
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Right in time to support your statement, John:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...j-reports.html