Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Digital notepad....? Anyone have an idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Alpine White 530i

So.... looking for a product that would do the following and am turning up empty handed:
-Similar size to paper (8.5x11)
-Thin design
-Digital display
-Allows you to take notes freehand with a pen that responds to the display (think etch a sketch!)
-Allows you to create/save multiple pages of notes that can pulled up on the spot again for revision

What I'm trying to accomplish is avoid having multiple pads of paper when I'm out and about for work in medical sales. If I had one device that I could freehand on as I go through my days it would be awesome!

I've found e-readers.... (thick, many don't let you edit documents, only view them) and digital notepads that still use standard paper but record what you write and transfer it to your PC but I can't find anything similar to what I'm describing that would basically replace paper.

If anyone understands what I'm describing and can throw me a bone that would be awesome!

If not, I'm totally patenting a product for this (kidding... somewhat)
Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

You're looking for a Slate or tablet PC. I've used some of the convertibles from Toshiba and was less than impressed. Another option is the ModBook http://www.axiotron.com/ but these are full computers and may do more than what you're looking for.

Personally, I would rather have a keyboard than a stylus/pen. A 'netbook' like the MacBook Air or various 'netbooks' from makers like Lenovo + an application like OneNote may give you more bang for the buck.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

I just need something simple.... I typically have 3-4 notepads I take out every day. One for account orders, another for leads, another for a basic to do list, and another for long-term to do's for accounts. If I could condense it to a thin piece of equipment that allowed me to write/save info digitally it would be awesome. Kinda like the iRex Illiad but cheaper. I don't need the e-reader option for ebooks and stuff.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Another alternative is to grab a Wacom tablet. They make tablets for writing only, and they make screens that can be written on too. I have a small 16:9 tablet mainly for photo stuff, but I sometimes use it to do whiteboarding with clients. It plugs into my laptop via USB, and you can draw on it, or pass it to the client to draw on it. I use Microsoft OneNote as the application, it's perfect for what you're trying to do.

You might want to wait a couple of months. Rumors abound about the upcoming netbook offering from Apple. Netbooks are built around tiny CPUs - smaller than a penny. The Intel "Atom" is the most popular of these CPUs, and they now have a dual core model as well. Apple is rumored to be readying their netbook offering in time for X-Mas, and some think it will be a multi-touch touchscreen. It's speculative, but it makes a certain amount of sense. If so, it would be very close to what you're asking for.

Say hello to the Atom:

Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Oh, I forgot...

OneNote has a mobile installer that comes with it. You load it on your Windows Mobile PDA or Smartphone. You can type or use a stylus to take notes on it during meetings, and it will sync with OneNote on your PC later on. That might be enough for you.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributors

I forgot to mention -I drive all day for work so I'm looking for a standalone piece of equipment that doesn't need any computer connection to function
Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by adam81osu' post='686006' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:07 PM
I forgot to mention -I drive all day for work so I'm looking for a standalone piece of equipment that doesn't need any computer connection to function

I don't know how well they work, but have you considered one of those pens that can "store" what has been written with it? You can later download it and have it converted to text for storage/manipulation.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by adam81osu' post='686006' date='Oct 5 2008, 06:07 PM
Have you looked at the ModBook I posted above? That's the closest I can think of to what you're looking for at the moment. This is based off of a MacBook Pro but as UUronL pointed out there is rumor of a new Apple 'netbook' but the rumor has been out for a long time.