Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 09:56 AM
Members

I've been watching a few documentaries from my Netflix stream subscription.
This allows me to be aware of issues I never knew existed and be aware of events that we normally dismiss or not care about in our daily lives.
Me and my wife has been fortunate enough to be able to afford some of life's luxuries but come to think of it - most of us will have to pay our houses for 30 years.
And for sure it will be a totally different world in 30 years.

One of the documentaries I watched is "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash".
After watching this yesterday, I felt guilty driving a V8, even if I average 23mpg on a normal fill. Now, I think I should get a car that should get AT LEAST 40mpg for my daily drive.
According to this movie, in the 50's, the US of A was the largest oil producer in the world. But now, we import majority of our energy needs and we basically use 25% of world consumption - every single day.

China, as we all know is booming at a very alarming rate and they project it will be the number car market soon. More cars, more oil, more wars, more corruption. They also predict that after a generation or two, it will be very expensive to fly, let alone, drive your own car. Sad, this is very, very sad.

Here's a pic of a place where oil was so abundant and was depleted:
Old 05-24-2010 | 10:01 AM
Members

BTW, I know this is old news for most of us. I just hope, some will be enlightened and be more responsible with our driving (at least).
Less aggressive driving = less tickets = less oil = less pollution, and hopefully, less war.
Old 05-24-2010 | 10:14 AM
Senior Members

While the case made for oil depletion and anthropogenic global warming is dramatic, it is often not based on fact. The sensationalist environmental movement often throws the "war for oil" of the coming future into the mix for more dramatic impact.

The fact of the matter is, the science on "fossil fuel" (fossil fuel in quotes because of the conflicting theories that oil is NOT a fossil fuel) pollution and global warming, as well as the renewability and sustainability of fossil fuels, is still in its infancy. For every opinion about environmental apocalypse, and the non-renewability of oil and "fossil fuels" in general, there is always 2 opinions to the contrary by the scientific community. Please also remember that projected global warming is only based of computer "climate models", which are made by man, with man-made variables. The truth is, without a longer frame of study, or more concrete evidence, all of the topics raised here are still not very clear, and very much debatable.

Please see:

http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/...ustainableOil/

For evidence and reading on the renewability of fossil fuels. Even if you are a staunch supporter of anthropogenic global warming and oil being a fossil fuel, it is interesting to read the opposing viewpoints.

Also, while documentaries are often based off of fact, the main goal is not only to raise awareness about an issue, but it is also to entertain and make a profit. Michael Moore is a great example of this fact.

Edited for clarity.
Old 05-24-2010 | 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Humm maybe I'll add it to my streaming list...

If BP didnt waste 70K barrels of oil each day for the past month... That could have fed all the E60s for the rest of their lives.. LOL
Old 05-24-2010 | 11:18 AM
Members

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure part of these documentaries are made to make money, but this particular film has a point.
If various oil fields are bone dry after a few decades (ex. Baku, Venezuela, Texas, etc), then there's billion more reasons our existing sources can go dry after a few years.

Most of the earth's population didn't consume oil before 1950. Only the US, Canada, Japan and Europe consumed oil and we were able to dry up oil fields in a matter of few decades.

With China and India's booming population and economy (remember, these countries alone have more than 1 billion population, each) - they're expected to use more and could double or triple energy requirements.
IMO, if our oil goes to $4-5, the US economy will collapse easily (other countries have been paying much higher prices than we pay because of taxes).

I know we have lots of alternative source of energy. Back in the early 2000, I worked for Ballard. This company is funded by the Canadian Government, Daimler-Benz and Ford and they're into R&D of fuel cells.
I was there for a few years and we're still few decades away into mass producing fuel cells.

But we have not really fully developed solar energy to its full extent. It's free and anyone can have it. This, I think, should be pushed if our Government wants to go away with our dependency to oil.

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
While the case made for oil depletion and anthropogenic global warming is dramatic, it is often not based on fact. The sensationalist environmental movement often throws the "war for oil" of the coming future into the mix for more dramatic impact.

The fact of the matter is, the science on "fossil fuel" (fossil fuel in quotes because of the conflicting theories that oil is NOT a fossil fuel) pollution and global warming, as well as the renewability and sustainability of fossil fuels, is still in its infancy. For every opinion about environmental apocalypse, and the non-renewability of oil and "fossil fuels" in general, there is always 2 opinions to the contrary by the scientific community. Please also remember that projected global warming is only based of computer "climate models", which are made by man, with man-made variables. The truth is, without a longer frame of study, or more concrete evidence, all of the topics raised here are still not very clear, and very much debatable.

Please see:

http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/...ustainableOil/

For evidence and reading on the renewability of fossil fuels. Even if you are a staunch supporter of anthropogenic global warming and oil being a fossil fuel, it is interesting to read the opposing viewpoints.

Also, while documentaries are often based off of fact, the main goal is not only to raise awareness about an issue, but it is also to entertain and make a profit. Michael Moore is a great example of this fact.

Edited for clarity.
Old 05-24-2010 | 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

the government needs to step in and take over, bp is sitting down with there hands in the air apparantly.. there were notices handed out personally by the coast guard on friday afternoon around the area of point pleasant stating that as og july, there will be no fishing in the area allowed due to the oill spill reaching up the eastern coast... this shit is bullshit..
Old 05-25-2010 | 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by melimel
the government needs to step in and take over, bp is sitting down with there hands in the air apparantly.. there were notices handed out personally by the coast guard on friday afternoon around the area of point pleasant stating that as og july, there will be no fishing in the area allowed due to the oill spill reaching up the eastern coast... this shit is bullshit..
Already taking Fridays off, Mel? Before Memorial Day!!
Old 05-25-2010 | 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by robg
Already taking Fridays off, Mel? Before Memorial Day!!
lol.. lololol.. it wasnt me it was my girlfriend..lol, but i wish!