Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Crappy Roads, thank God its a Rental

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Geez, I forgot how bad some of the country roads in the UK can be. I have been back for the past two weeks on business and a bit of family visit. I rented a 530d to drive about while in Kent and East Sussex and have managed to put dents in all four rims from the curb sides because the bloody roads are so narrow. I am kind of hoping the rental company won't notice when I turn in the car next week (fat chance of that happening). Since living in the U.S. for several years now and being used to the generous size roads, I wonder how E60 owners in the UK manage to maintain their rims, especially living in the rural areas. By the way I have seen quite a few E60s in the Maidstone, Linton and Staplehurst areas.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by bankerboyz' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:43 AM
Geez, I forgot how bad some of the country roads in the UK can be. I have been back for the past two weeks on business and a bit of family visit. I rented a 530d to drive about while in Kent and East Sussex and have managed to put dents in all four rims from the curb sides because the bloody roads are so narrow. ? I am kind of hoping the rental company won't notice? when I turn in the car next week (fat chance of that happening). Since living in the U.S. for several years now and being used to the generous size roads, I wonder how E60 owners in the UK manage to maintain their rims, especially living in the rural areas. By the way I have seen quite a? few E60s in the Maidstone, Linton and Staplehurst areas.
[snapback]151835[/snapback]

I don't manage to maintain my rims .. well, at least my wife doesn't. All four rims now badly curbed. ?3k down the pan.
bankerboyz? which bank you working for?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Members

Jay, I used to work for Goldman Sachs, ergo the name Bankerboyz, however I decided a few years ago to get a less stressful job and life. I now work for a private company.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride:

There's a big wheel shaped thingy in front of the driver's seat.
If you turn it from side to side, the car follows the same pattern.
After a while you can get the car to move around without bumping into anything too expensive.
You should ask if you you can get one fitted to the US spec cars.

Andy
Old 07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Andy E61' date='Jul 22 2005, 04:58 PM
After a while you can get the car to move around without bumping into anything too expensive.
You should ask if you you can get one fitted to the US spec cars.?

Andy
[snapback]152021[/snapback]
Ahahhaha! Good one..
Old 07-23-2005, 10:59 AM
stu
Members

Andy ,,, Brilliant
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

i was gonna say.... Our roads are a bit narrower but then we have those beautiful twisty lanes that if you know well and know when not to go hurtling round the blind corner doing 80 you can have more fun on than a damn good stick shaking.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Andy E61' date='Jul 22 2005, 11:58 PM
You should ask if you you can get one fitted to the US spec cars.?

Andy
[snapback]152021[/snapback]
There's also a few (2 or 3) pedals close to ones feet that are useful.

With Andy hints and the pedals one should get it right.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Yes we do have narrow roads in the UK, however if you select dynamic route on the Sat Nav you can experience some great twisty driving. Afterall isn't one of the E60's main attributes its handling!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Jul 22 2005, 06:37 AM
[quote name='bankerboyz' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:43 AM']Geez, I forgot how bad some of the country roads in the UK can be. I have been back for the past two weeks on business and a bit of family visit. I rented a 530d to drive about while in Kent and East Sussex and have managed to put dents in all four rims from the curb sides because the bloody roads are so narrow. ? I am kind of hoping the rental company won't notice? when I turn in the car next week (fat chance of that happening). Since living in the U.S. for several years now and being used to the generous size roads, I wonder how E60 owners in the UK manage to maintain their rims, especially living in the rural areas. By the way I have seen quite a? few E60s in the Maidstone, Linton and Staplehurst areas.
[snapback]151835[/snapback]

I don't manage to maintain my rims .. well, at least my wife doesn't. All four rims now badly curbed. ?3k down the pan.
bankerboyz? which bank you working for?
[snapback]151845[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jay,

Not those new rims? :'(