Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Concorde flying again

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Get your tickets
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8712806.stm
Attached Thumbnails Concorde flying again-concorde_supersonic_jet.jpg   Concorde flying again-air_france_concorde.jpg  
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Watching (and hearing) Concorde take off was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

Way ahead of its time and an amazing piece of engineering. It would be awesome if these guys could get her airworthy again.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames
Watching (and hearing) Concorde take off was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

Way ahead of its time and an amazing piece of engineering. It would be awesome if these guys could get her airworthy again.

Yes it was always an experience to see Concordes flying at JFK and in the surrounding area
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I actually was at the Floyd Bennet Field, watching the NYC portion of the last Concorde flight 7 yrs ago...

There are so many factors against it though... I think there should've been a replacement for Concorde, which would be "green", if that's possible. And more safe. At some point, the world stopped trying to go after new ground-breaking ideas and settled for a redesign of this and Chinese knock-off of that... so has the Concorde, which should have been replaced with a newer model for 21st century FOR SURE, has been suffering at our barbaric hands... am I talking too much again?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Contributors

This would be great for the opening ceremony

Concorde "drifting"
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i
OH MYYY GOOOODDD. That's scary. But I gotta say, DAMN AMAZING POWERFUL ENGINES on how they lifted it back up again
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
OH MYYY GOOOODDD. That's scary. But I gotta say, DAMN AMAZING POWERFUL ENGINES on how they lifted it back up again
I am sure that Concorde had a pretty good thrust to weight ratio. Such a shame that they cannot figure out how to make a supersonic passenger plane profitable, until they do, there will never be another one.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes it was always an experience to see Concordes flying at JFK and in the surrounding area
i remember watching it from jfk too.. its sitting next to the intrepid looking bored as hell, that lady wants to fly!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by swajames

I would consider the concord the 535i of airplanes, fast, but will leave you stranded on the side of the road cause of HPFP
Originally Posted by sdg1871
I am sure that Concorde had a pretty good thrust to weight ratio. Such a shame that they cannot figure out how to make a supersonic passenger plane profitable, until they do, there will never be another one.
Or how to make it safe...
Old 06-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Krozi, Concorde had had ONE fatal incident in its entire flying career. ONE. That incident was caused by debris falling off a Continental jet leaving CDG and it caused a tire on Concorde to blow. That led to the remainder of the Paris crash. Given that her flying career spanned over 30 years that one incident marked an otherwise unblemished record. No aircraft got as much high end maintenance as Concorde. Sure, there were some Concorde-specific issues (this was, conceptually closer to a military aircraft rather than a mainstream passenger aircraft) but generally speaking she was a very safe aircraft

Do you have any idea how many engineering firsts this plane pioneered? It was way ahead of it's time.

Also, it was not safety concerns that grounded Concorde. Part availability was getting scarce and it was simply uneconomic to keep them flying.

Quick Reply: Concorde flying again