Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Champ Car/IndyCar Deal Done

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

SpeedTV.com

REPORT: Champ Car/IndyCar Deal Done
Digg del.icio.us

Written by: Robin Miller 02/19/2008 - 01:32 AM
Indianapolis, Ind.Page 1 2

Homestead could be the start of a new era for IndyCar racing.
Most Champ Car teams were told to quit working on their Panoz chassis Monday and expect delivery of their new cars in a few days. Paul Tracy is coming to Indianapolis later this week for a seat fitting. And one of Champ Car?s co-owners admitted to a fellow owner there would only be one series in 2008.

After 12 years of warring that cost open-wheel racing much of its sponsorship, audience and momentum, common sense has finally prevailed.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that the Indy Racing League and Champ Car have officially, and mercifully, agreed to become one entity. A press conference could come as early as Wednesday if Kevin Kalkhoven is back from England in time.

Following nearly two weeks of negotiations between Tony George, Gerry Forsythe and Kalkhoven, an agreement is in place to bring several Champ Car teams and a handful of races into the IRL domain. It?s believed attorneys from both sides worked all weekend to finalize some kind of arrangement for the two men who claimed CART?s assets in bankruptcy court in 2004.

George, who started the IRL in 1996 when CART was in its heyday, would not confirm any deal when contacted late Monday night. ?While it is true that I continue to believe we at the threshold of something long-overdue, we have not yet stepped across it,? he said.

But all signs point to this tumultuous chapter of American motorsports finally being closed.

?I?m supposed to fly in Indy later this week to get fitted for a seat and then we?re going to have to thrash to make it to the first test in Homestead,? said Tracy, the winningest active driver in Champ Car and its premier personality. ?We don?t have any experience with those Dallaras and we?re going to need all the practice we can get but this is definitely the best thing that can happen for open-wheel racing.?

The IRL?s first open test is on the oval at Homestead, Fla. on Feb. 27-28.

Mike Lanigan, who co-owns a two-car CC effort with Paul Newman and Carl Haas in addition to promoting races at Houston and Cleveland, said he spoke with Forsythe on Sunday evening.

?Gerry indicated we were likely looking at one series,? said Lanigan, a Chicago native who started out sponsoring cars at the Indianapolis 500 in the early ?90s. ?I?m hoping to talk to Tony (George) about considering our two races, but having a unified series is certainly what everybody wants to see.?

Derrick Walker, a regular in Champ Car since 1991, said he expected ?we should all hear something positive Tuesday or Wednesday? while Conquest Racing owner Eric Bachelart was asked whether he?d be in Champ Car, the IRL or one series this year.

?I think I will be in a unified series,? he replied.

George?s offer of free cars and engines, plus $1.2 million for any team able to compete the entire season, is expected to add a minimum of eight cars to the IRL grid in 2008.

Newman/Haas/Lanigan (two), PKV (two), Forsythe (two), Walker (one) and Conquest (one) are definites, while Dale Coyne is likely to field at least one car in ?08, although he couldn?t be reached for comment on Monday. Minardi Team USA principal Paul Stoddart is a question mark, although partner Keith Wiggins may try to strike out on his own with one car. RocketSports is unknown while Pacific Coast Motorsports is believed to be headed to the ALMS.

With the IRL car count at 16, this would give open-wheel its largest fields since earlier this decade.

It also appears the Long Beach/Motegi conflict has been worked out. Earlier this month, George and Kalkhoven admitted there could not be unification unless Long Beach could be added to the IRL schedule and remain on its original date?April 20, the same weekend as Motegi. George and Honda?s Robert Clarke flew to Japan to meet with Honda of Japan (Motegi?s owners) and returned using ?optimistic? quotes.

The fast, challenging airport circuit at Edmonton, which drew a legitimate 175,000-200,000 people during its first three years, will likely find a place on the IRL schedule as well. And Surfer?s Paradise, Australia was also being heavily considered.

It would bring the combined schedule to 19 races for 2008 and George is likely to consider other Champ Car circuits like Toronto or Mexico City for 2009.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Sweet!!! I hope Long Beach does stay...can't see that venue going away. Wonder if we'll see any Nascar guys go that direction now?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This is huge, although I wish it had happened years ago...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='533080' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:47 AM
Sweet!!! I hope Long Beach does stay...can't see that venue going away. Wonder if we'll see any Nascar guys go that direction now?
It seems to be the other way around -- open wheel guys tend to go to NASCAR as they get older. Also, many NASCAR guys don't know how to turn right...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

So the Champ Car guys have to use those HIDEOUS IRL cars, they are the ugliest open-wheel cars ever. I guess I am happy to see open-wheel getting back together and growing from here on. But I hate Tony George and IRL, they just make my blood boil.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='533242' date='Feb 19 2008, 05:04 PM
But I hate Tony George and IRL, they just make my blood boil.
Don't even get me started...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

What is really going to piss me off, if this isn't an equal merger. If there is mostly oval races and only a handful of road/street races, I will be done with American open-wheel racing. I have been watching Cart/Champ Car my whole life, I hope they do this merger right.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

+1
But I'll believe it when it's a done deal.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='533253' date='Feb 19 2008, 05:19 PM
What is really going to piss me off, if this isn't an equal merger. If there is mostly oval races and only a handful of road/street races, I will be done with American open-wheel racing. I have been watching Cart/Champ Car my whole life, I hope they do this merger right.
I, too, lived and breathed CART for many, many, years and have been sickened by this whole mess.

I doubt they'll do it "right" this year but I'm sure they'll eventually add more street circuits/road courses in future seasons and before you know it, I'll bet that the IRL as you know it will look very much like CART did in the past. Face it, like it or not, Tony won this battle (even though it was many years after he threw his little hissy fit, took his ball, and went home.)

The IRL already started to add non-oval races and started to look at (and hold) races outside the USA (exactly the opposite of what Tony first said he was going to do) but at least now, with everyone together, sponsors, fans, television networks, etc. can focus on one open-wheel series and possibly repair as much of the damage the split caused as possible. The only big problem is that the split not only hurt open wheel but helped NASCAR. I'm sure that in recent years, there are many former OW fans who just jumped ship and became die-hard NASCAR fans. I don't know if they'll ever return in the same numbers that they used to because NASCAR's popularity has no rival in the USA.

Only time will tell but you have to at least be optimistic that a merger (or whatever it ends up being) at least is heading in the right direction!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Getting closer...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...475/1247/SPORTS

Quick Reply: Champ Car/IndyCar Deal Done