Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BP is just a big drop in a very bad ocean

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Can it be real? One out of two men alive today will develop some kind of cancer in their lifetimes - that's a chilling statistic I've heard in this documentary I was watching the other day, "The Corporation". And BP spill, though extremely large and sure to affect the environment of the entire planet, is just a drop in an ocean of oil-based products, byproducts and pollutants that we are all being exposed to. And yet, I've just ordered my iPhone 4, my Bimmer needs new tires and I'm a commodities trader... wow, I really feel like I'm on the wrong path but I'm an extremely tiny element in this consumerist society... although... if I don't do anything, how can I expect the other I's to act?

I'm going to fill up a styrofoam cup with some instant coffee and add some Monsanto-enhanced milk to it. I might see y'all tomorrow

this really puts a whole new spin on "taking each day as a gift from God"...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Can it be real? One out of two men alive today will develop some kind of cancer in their lifetimes - that's a chilling statistic I've heard in this documentary I was watching the other day, "The Corporation". And BP spill, though extremely large and sure to affect the environment of the entire planet, is just a drop in an ocean of oil-based products, byproducts and pollutants that we are all being exposed to. And yet, I've just ordered my iPhone 4, my Bimmer needs new tires and I'm a commodities trader... wow, I really feel like I'm on the wrong path but I'm an extremely tiny element in this consumerist society... although... if I don't do anything, how can I expect the other I's to act?

I'm going to fill up a styrofoam cup with some instant coffee and add some Monsanto-enhanced milk to it. I might see y'all tomorrow

Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

your having a moment again Vlad.. I like your moments When you have a child your head will fu*k with you even more.. mine does.. lol
Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by melimel
your having a moment again Vlad.. I like your moments When you have a child your head will fu*k with you even more.. mine does.. lol

+1, Vlad if you're this paranoid about cancer now - just wait, when you have kids you become naturally more paranoid.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

I often have the same types of thoughts (you have lots of time to think in the desert....) and all you really can say is "O Well" and live. Now don't get me wrong you do have choices you have to make and they "could" lengthen or shorten you life (ie smoking, drinking, russian roulete ) but when it all comes down to it, fate takes over.

Ok now for a rant on the oil spill (i haven't searched the threads so this might have already been said!). I am currently in Iraq so I only get CNN and the internet I don't get to see how people are reacting in the states to this. But from what I see there are a lot of people blaming and pointing finger and then using that same finger to hold down the gas pump at the station. I understand that the oil spill is a nasty mess but what do people expect when we consume oil the way we all do? Lets clean it up, try to prevent further spills and move on.

=)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Speaking of pollutants, you should read this about pesticide residue in your produce.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01...ex.html?hpt=C2
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by theXman
Speaking of pollutants, you should read this about pesticide residue in your produce.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01...ex.html?hpt=C2

Xman, don't encourage Vlad's paranoia - please
Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

hahaha, was I fanning the fire? But seriously, that is good info for those who have kids.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Members

My Ride: black on black 530Xi 6 spd

Originally Posted by v_therussian

1 out of 2 is very general dont you think, having been working in the medical field i would assume that those numbers are specific to certain populations,

for example smoking is a very common point, living in a very urban society (i.e la, nyc etc) also job specifics (anyone thats has an office job/desk is

going to have a very different exposure limit than myslef for example who sits in a ambulance & breathes in diesel fumes daily). Yes cancer is a problem,a

growing problem, but that is also becuase we are an increasingly sedentary society becoming more & more dependant on manufactured & re-manufactured goods.

Basically what i'm trying to say is statistics are skewed to the person giving them & alot of cancer problems can be prevented or eased with a healthy

lifestyle/choices, dont get me wrong there is plenty out of our hands but with so much out of our hands why give up the things that we are in control of?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

alot of cancer problems can be prevented or eased with a healthy

lifestyle/choices, dont get me wrong there is plenty out of our hands but with so much out of our hands why give up the things that we are in control of?
Perfect!

Quick Reply: BP is just a big drop in a very bad ocean