Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BMW Sales Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545I SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic 7 Pkg, Sport Pkg, BMW Nav Pkg, HUD Pkg, Gargo Liner.

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 7 2004, 05:32 PM
[quote name='CVTBenhogan' date='Dec 7 2004, 03:29 PM']I was reading in another forum that BMW sales are down in North America.? Most posts blame lower sales on Chris Bangle's new designs.? After skimming through the sales figures, I have a few observations.?

1) Sales figures for the 3 series are down significantly in terms of units.? ? Yikes the 3 looks plain and quite frankly bad!!!!!? My A4 is aging quite nicely by comparison IMHO.?

2) 5 sales are down and I'd say the automotive press is alittle to blame.?

3) The 7 has been disappointment with Idrive, price and so-called Banglizism being the main culprits.? IMHO the 7 takes awhile to grow on you and I agree with Bangle on this.? ? ?

4)? Cost remains a factor, as BMWs aren?t cheap and considerable more than others.? With even G35s and TLs nipping away with the value proposition, its been tough meeting customer expectations,?

Just my four cents....

CVT Benhogan
[snapback]66182[/snapback]
I have come to a different conclusion as to the current dismal performance of BMW in the US market

First, I dont think it has much to do with the designs. The press may not love them, but people realize that this is the new direction, and I like it..

The true reason for the slipping, IMHO, is BMW NA. :bashwall:

They have chosen to market cars in the US with no reason at all. They limit what they offer in terms of packages and options, and they do not bring many cars to the US. In a time when all other car makers are expanding their line ups in the US to fit all potential buyers, BMW NA has chosen to severely limit our choices to the point that I have owned my car outright for over a year now, but since they will not bring the nice cars and packages to the US, i've been forced to sit on the sidelines waiting, and earning interest on my down payment that keeps growing

Other car manufacturers have packaged their cars so well that BMW NA has lost market share here. These other companies offer their cars nicely equipped to begin with, and all of their electronics work well together. So people in the US decide to go the Jap root for the most part when they get turned off by BMW NA.

As you pointed out, BMW's are expensive, but I dont think the cost is the total reason for the shift way, as much as what we are being charged for. Drivers looking for cars with all the options usually leave BMW with their head shaking, especially if they had already visited an Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti dealer and realize the same options cost $10-15K in the BMW and they are usually included in these Jap cars?So many people go that route

I do not want to, but will be forced to make a decision at some point next year?I have just sent a nasty letter to BMW NA this morning and asked that it is directed to the president of NA, (at least someone will look at it)?I also sent the same letter to BMW AG, asking them to step in before BMW NA destroys the entire US market for BMW.

As to your points, IMHO, the 3 series still looks great, and I love it, I still think (actually KNOW) that it is still the hottest car in the segment even with the E90 on the way?Why do I still think this??? Well I know that every time I drive by a TL, or IS300, or G35, A4, etc,etc,etc, the driver of that car is always staring my baby down, I know wishing it was theres!!!! So I think it aged beautifully

2- the E60 is down due to the hp offerings in the 525/530, as well as the fact that BMW NA decides on the packages we can or cannot have (+who the hell thought of putting those rims on the US 525i?????- they should be shot!) Plus the fact that an optioned out car is probably 10K more that the competition

3- the 7 is great, except for the front turn light eyebrows, imho, I would put the E65 up against the A8 anyday on the autobahn?and like iDrive or not, every company, including Audi and MB are copying it now?yes theres will work better, as it is a copy and then upgrade, but the innovation had to begin with BMW

4- I mentioned above, BMW?s are expensive as compared to the competition, usually 10K+ difference for similar equipment and hp ratings that are lower? I wish that someone at BMW had gone to business school here? Drop the price to option out the cars close to the competition and they will sell exponentially more cars and make up the cost on higher volumes, as well as increased market share?.

[snapback]66221[/snapback]
[/quote]

I totally agree with you E60 is down due to the hp offerings in 525/530 before I made
my decision going with my 545i. the frist pick was the 530i but looking at the hp offering and the price tag. i said no way I'm paying for it! i can't wait to try the new R6 engine this should really help 530i sales figure. as for the 525i it shouldn't even be here.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:07 PM

I agree with the earlier post re: the very unfavorable US$ to Euro exchange rates as the primary reason that BMWs in the states cost $10K or more over comparably equipped competitive Japanese models. That being said, BMW is still doing very well (certainly as compared to MB in the US, whose sales are further down than BMW US sales) and certainly retains its reputation as a "prestige" brand of automobiles. If BMW wants to sell more cars in the US, it will simply have to start building them here in the US so as to negate the effect of exchange rate fluctuations between the ever strengthening Euro vs. the US$.

However, I disagree strongly with the suggestion that BMW NA and the options packages are the reason BMW US sales are down. BMW is the market leader for luxury performance automobiles in the US and every luxury automobile company (Jaguar, MB, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, VW, Range Rover, etc.) is following, to their chagrin, BMW in both technology and design/style (check out the iDrive clones in the Audi, new MB S class and Infinitis as well as the new Lexus GS design). BMW is a trailblazer because it is constantly pushing the technology and design envelope for automobiles (e.g., the new M5), instead of just creating marketing spin and clever branding to hide "me too" thinking, obsolete technology and generic design (I'm still waiting for the auto rags to sing the praises of some iDrive clone while they continue to bash BMWs iDrive -- in my view, iDrive is a form of IQ test that the auto rag reporters fail, so these auto rag reporters have to bash BMW instead of admitting they have trouble tying their shoelaces in the morning....).

Offering different option packages does NOT improve technology or create fresh innovative designs -- while it may reduce the cost of certain configurations, it cannot undo the damage from currency fluctuations and foreign exchange rates. It appears to me that the primary gripe here is that BMWs are too expensive and some would like a discount (in the form of a modestly priced option package) so that they do not have to go buy an Audi, Infiniti or Lexus (which may be more affordable). Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for....
Old 12-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Dec 7 2004, 10:07 PM
However, I disagree strongly with the suggestion that BMW NA and the options packages are the reason BMW US sales are down.? BMW is the market leader for luxury performance automobiles in the US and every luxury automobile company (Jaguar, MB, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, VW, Range Rover, etc.) is following, to their chagrin, BMW in both technology and design/style (check out the iDrive clones in the Audi, new MB S class and Infinitis as well as the new Lexus GS design).? BMW is a trailblazer because it is constantly pushing the technology and design envelope for automobiles (e.g., the new M5), instead of just creating marketing spin and clever branding to hide "me too" thinking, obsolete technology and generic design (I'm still waiting for the auto rags to sing the praises of some iDrive clone while they continue to bash BMWs iDrive -- in my view, iDrive is a form of IQ test that the auto rag reporters fail, so these auto rag reporters have to bash BMW instead of admitting they have trouble tying their shoelaces in the morning....).

Offering different option packages does NOT improve technology or create fresh innovative designs -- while it may reduce the cost of certain configurations, it cannot undo the damage from currency fluctuations and foreign exchange rates.? It appears to me that the primary gripe here is that BMWs are too expensive and some would like a discount (in the form of a modestly priced option package) so that they do not have to go buy an Audi, Infiniti or Lexus (which may be more affordable).? Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for....
[snapback]66390[/snapback]

I agree. Options are good and the sports package is a great value. BMW does push the technology curve with the best evidence being engines, active steering, and active stabilization. Of course they need to because this is their business model, which seeks premium returns being first to market. The non-German firms seek to meet the competition. Firms can hedge their currency risk and can do this inexpensively for 2 to 3 years out.

BMWs and MBs have been selling at a premium. This is because customers see the value in their products. I'm not griping about the price and I'll pay it. I'd just say that lower unit volume sales for the premium brands makes sense given the increased competition and shaky economy. I'd also say competition is good for us BMW fans.

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 7 2004, 06:32 PM
CVTBenhogan, stop reading RF!? ?

I odn't care a bit about freakin' sales numbers!!
And you guys shouldn't too!!!
[snapback]66329[/snapback]
I absolutely agree don't read RF or autolies. In fact BMW US sales are VERY good. There has been and will be a continual cannibalization by the SUVs. The overall US sedan market is shrinking and the SUV market continues to grow. This is what is reflected in BMW US SEDAN sales. Of course if you read the other cesspool of misinformation boards they isolate the sedan numbers as if they exist in a vacuum and use them out of context.

BTW, there is a great article in Forbes regarding the reliablilty of luxury cars. They state that the over use of electronics is lowering the reliability of luxury cars. The worst performers in order were: 1) Merc S Class 2) Jag S Type 3) BMW 7 Series 4) Jag X-Type 5) Merc E Class 6) Merc C Class 7) Volvo S60 8) Saab 9-3 9) Pontiac Grand Prix 10) VW Passat and finally the 11) BMW 5 Series