Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BMW Sales Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

I was reading in another forum that BMW sales are down in North America. Most posts blame lower sales on Chris Bangle's new designs. After skimming through the sales figures, I have a few observations.

1) Sales figures for the 3 series are down significantly in terms of units. Its a very competitive segment and the model is really starting to age. Stare at a 5 for 20 minutes and then look at a 3. Yikes the 3 looks plain and quite frankly bad!!!!! My A4 is aging quite nicely by comparison IMHO. Many buyers are probably aware of a new model in the fall. The new 3 should kill the competition, with the TL, G35 and A4 being older platforms.

2) 5 sales are down and I'd say the automotive press is alittle to blame. However, many 5s in 04 showed up mis-spec'd with those small 16 and 17 wheels. I think these wheels devastate the looks of the car, especially with the large wheeling openings. This is even more of an issue when customers have to digest the more radical design. Its so much better than the E39, refer to some comparison photos in the gallery section.

3) The 7 has been disappointment with Idrive, price and so-called Banglizism being the main culprits. IMHO the 7 takes awhile to grow on you and I agree with Bangle on this. As all new Plutobarges get introduced, the 7 remains distinct and may reemerge with higher sales in the future. Once people see how plain the competitors are, the bimmer will be more accepted. However, its hard not to mention how the Audi A8 is ?The Car? in this class.

4) Cost remains a factor, as BMWs aren?t cheap and considerable more than others. With even G35s and TLs nipping away with the value proposition, its been tough meeting customer expectations, which require the e60 to be excellent in every way. I think offering the old 3.0 six in the new car slowed momentum. The car reviews would have lauded the R6 motor in the e60 and offset the distraction of I Drive.

Conclusion, my take is the automotive press will re-embrace BMW in the future. The new 3 will revitalize the mark and send a ripple effect across the line. With the R6 coming out, this sets the stage for a high performance 530 in the middle, the mainstay of the 5 line. I can just see comparison tests and the awards for the 530 with the new engine. Car reviews saying, "BMW wakes up and fixes the 5 or the real 5 is back!" This is not to forget the competition, which has targeted BMW?s success. I think Audi will be picking up share and to a lesser extent the Asian brands. Competition is good for BMW and its future customers. Maybe they'll pay more attention to electronics, quality details, interior, and the value proposition. Maybe even cupholders!!

Just my four cents....

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Dec 7 2004, 03:29 PM
I was reading in another forum that BMW sales are down in North America.? Most posts blame lower sales on Chris Bangle's new designs.? After skimming through the sales figures, I have a few observations.?

1) Sales figures for the 3 series are down significantly in terms of units.? ? Yikes the 3 looks plain and quite frankly bad!!!!!?? My A4 is aging quite nicely by comparison IMHO.??

2) 5 sales are down and I'd say the automotive press is alittle to blame.??

3) The 7 has been disappointment with Idrive, price and so-called Banglizism being the main culprits.? IMHO the 7 takes awhile to grow on you and I agree with Bangle on this.? ? ??

4)? Cost remains a factor, as BMWs aren?t cheap and considerable more than others.? With even G35s and TLs nipping away with the value proposition, its been tough meeting customer expectations,?

Just my four cents....

CVT Benhogan
[snapback]66182[/snapback]
I have come to a different conclusion as to the current dismal performance of BMW in the US market

First, I dont think it has much to do with the designs. The press may not love them, but people realize that this is the new direction, and I like it..

The true reason for the slipping, IMHO, is BMW NA. :bashwall:

They have chosen to market cars in the US with no reason at all. They limit what they offer in terms of packages and options, and they do not bring many cars to the US. In a time when all other car makers are expanding their line ups in the US to fit all potential buyers, BMW NA has chosen to severely limit our choices to the point that I have owned my car outright for over a year now, but since they will not bring the nice cars and packages to the US, i've been forced to sit on the sidelines waiting, and earning interest on my down payment that keeps growing

Other car manufacturers have packaged their cars so well that BMW NA has lost market share here. These other companies offer their cars nicely equipped to begin with, and all of their electronics work well together. So people in the US decide to go the Jap root for the most part when they get turned off by BMW NA.

As you pointed out, BMW's are expensive, but I dont think the cost is the total reason for the shift way, as much as what we are being charged for. Drivers looking for cars with all the options usually leave BMW with their head shaking, especially if they had already visited an Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti dealer and realize the same options cost $10-15K in the BMW and they are usually included in these Jap cars?So many people go that route

I do not want to, but will be forced to make a decision at some point next year?I have just sent a nasty letter to BMW NA this morning and asked that it is directed to the president of NA, (at least someone will look at it)?I also sent the same letter to BMW AG, asking them to step in before BMW NA destroys the entire US market for BMW.

As to your points, IMHO, the 3 series still looks great, and I love it, I still think (actually KNOW) that it is still the hottest car in the segment even with the E90 on the way?Why do I still think this??? Well I know that every time I drive by a TL, or IS300, or G35, A4, etc,etc,etc, the driver of that car is always staring my baby down, I know wishing it was theres!!!! So I think it aged beautifully

2- the E60 is down due to the hp offerings in the 525/530, as well as the fact that BMW NA decides on the packages we can or cannot have (+who the hell thought of putting those rims on the US 525i?????- they should be shot!) Plus the fact that an optioned out car is probably 10K more that the competition

3- the 7 is great, except for the front turn light eyebrows, imho, I would put the E65 up against the A8 anyday on the autobahn?and like iDrive or not, every company, including Audi and MB are copying it now?yes theres will work better, as it is a copy and then upgrade, but the innovation had to begin with BMW

4- I mentioned above, BMW?s are expensive as compared to the competition, usually 10K+ difference for similar equipment and hp ratings that are lower? I wish that someone at BMW had gone to business school here? Drop the price to option out the cars close to the competition and they will sell exponentially more cars and make up the cost on higher volumes, as well as increased market share?.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

All god points guys, but keep in mind the overall economic picture as well. The falling dollar vs. the Euro has driven up U.S. prices for all BMWs, the new five in particular. And if we look at the sales figures for all high end cars; MB, Audi, Jag etc, sales are anemic at best and down for most. If BMW sales were falling in an economic environment where other luxury car makers were showing stronger sales results, I'd be much more concerned. And I agree about the three, showing its age a bit.

And wait a minute, I really like my 17" wheels!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Dec 7 2004, 05:16 PM
All god points guys, but keep in mind the overall economic picture as well.? The falling dollar vs. the Euro has driven up U.S. prices for all BMWs, the new five in particular.? And if we look at the sales figures for all high end cars; MB, Audi, Jag etc, sales are anemic at best and down for most.? If BMW sales were falling in an economic environment where other luxury car makers were showing stronger sales results, I'd be much more concerned.? And I agree about the three, showing its age a bit.

And wait a minute, I really like my 17" wheels!
[snapback]66248[/snapback]

I think you hit it on the head for expensive European marks. And the Japanese are filling the void somewhat. And yes, the 17s aren't too bad. In fact, I sometimes mistake them for 18s, LOL.

CVT Benhogan

PS I did I mentioed that I love the e60 and worship Chris Bangle?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I would expect to see Mercedez take a hit in sales because of the decision to end their Full Maintenance Service.

This was a major turn-off for me when I looked at Mercedez.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

CVTBenhogan, stop reading RF!

I odn't care a bit about freakin' sales numbers!!
And you guys shouldn't too!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 7 2004, 06:32 PM
CVTBenhogan, stop reading RF!

[snapback]66329[/snapback]

Amen!! brother!! Amen...
I was just thinking W.G.A.S. <_<

I don't own any stocks in BMW AG, I buy cars based on what I like.

I think you fellas are WAY over analyzing the numbers. Go Relax.... and have a bier/smoke/coffee/wine etc.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Dec 7 2004, 07:35 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Dec 7 2004, 06:32 PM']CVTBenhogan, stop reading RF!

Amen!! brother!! Amen...

I think you fellas are WAY over analyzing the numbers. Go Relax.... and have a bier/smoke/coffee/wine etc.
[snapback]66332[/snapback]
[/quote]

you're right, i dont care about any of the numbers either.

I just wish that I could buy the BMW I want. the way that I want it, which I cannot do right now because of BMW NA...

now back to the smokin' part...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Dec 7 2004, 06:35 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Dec 7 2004, 06:32 PM']CVTBenhogan, stop reading RF!

Amen!! brother!! Amen...

[snapback]66332[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thx Beewang, wasn't trying to overanalyze anything, simply point out that a lot more than any perceived dislike of Bangle's designs are behind falling sales in the high-end car market. And don't worry, I bought this car almost a year ago now without reading one review/Roundel/Car & Driver article about it. I feel in love at first sight.

I'll pass on the beer/wine/smoke. The scotch on the rocks is doing just fine by me!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 7 2004, 07:32 PM
CVTBenhogan, stop reading RF!? ?

Iceman,

Your absolutely right!! But, my point is the numbers aren't bad and will get better. The E60 rocks and I'm becoming a bigger fan. I've got to release some excitement and now I'm thinking about the ED in 05.

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: BMW Sales Results