Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BMW accelerator jam - 100mph crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='253444' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:19 PM
Hmm.... I think the Telegraph version is more likely. And how stupid could he be... hmm... over rev an engine that has a limiter or risk death... seems like an easy choice for me.
Almost certainly this entire story is untrue and the driver will end up facing court action.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='253444' date='Mar 11 2006, 06:19 PM
Hmm.... I think the Telegraph version is more likely. And how stupid could he be... hmm... over rev an engine that has a limiter or risk death... seems like an easy choice for me.
Agree. But like its been mentioned on this thread, the driver wasn't particularly bright. :thumbsdown: Or he was like us dads who would give up their lives to save their baby's
Old 03-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

to better the story about a jammed pedal -- he had to have taken his car to get detailed/washed -- where most of the washing crews dont know to the leave the velcro/anchor mechanism alone. there has been 2 times so far for me in Los Angeles, that i get back in the car after a detail and the driver's mat is so far up on the accelorator that i could not leave the lot if i had to. ???
Old 03-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='253443' date='Mar 11 2006, 06:16 PM
The article on BBC says that the transmission was locked but Telegraph says that the driver didn't want to put it in N for the fear of overrevving the engine. Can't the reporters get their stories right?

Telegraph:
"I was trying to slip the car into neutral but because the car was over-revving and red-lining I couldn't do it."

BBC
"He tried to put the car into neutral but the gears were jammed."
Couldn't the Telegraph quote be taken to mean that he tried to put the car in neutral but couldn't since the throttle was stuck and the car was already over-revving and redlining? If that's a direct quote, it seems like he's saying that the shifter was jammed, just like the BBC is saying...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='253588' date='Mar 12 2006, 07:31 AM
Couldn't the Telegraph quote be taken to mean that he tried to put the car in neutral but couldn't since the throttle was stuck and the car was already over-revving and redlining? If that's a direct quote, it seems like he's saying that the shifter was jammed, just like the BBC is saying...

I'm not going to try this, but... if the driver was able to brake down to 70 before his brakes started smoking, then the engine revs would have been slowed (at least momentarily, until the transmission dropped a cog) and hence the vehicle would not have been redlining.

I find it difficult to believe that this vehicle suffered 2 severe safety related failures simultaneously (transmission jammed + accelerator jammed).

You could argue that the tranny might have burned out during his attempts to brake against full acceleration, but he would have had plenty of time to knock the thing into nuetral before he hit 138mph as reported.

Speed limit here is 70mph, even if he was going at 90mph before the problem stuck in a 318 it wouild have taken quite a while to hit maximum speed.

Either way, I don't see how this can have been true and if it were, why he couldn't just have braked hard switched off the engine, then continue to brake to a complete stop.

There have been a few stories like this over the years and checks on the cars generally reveal that the people involved have either been mad, lying or both.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with you completely (and have pretty much said the same things in both threads on the subject.) My main point now is one of semantics. It looks like the two quotes you posted from different media sources could be translated a few different ways -- that's all I meant in my reply.

Clearly, something strange happened to that guy and/or his car...
Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Any car's brakes, if working, can overcome the engine's torque. Also, if you shut your engine off the vacuum brake assist still works (for one or two times) as long as you don't pump the brakes.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

:thumbsdown: Put aside how the driver reacted. I am more worry about BMW reliability
Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

This kind of stories is hard to believe to me. Why would anyone choose to rather go 130mph than just to turn off the engine and loose power steering? I mean it?s not like you can?t turn the steering wheel when the engine is off. How did we drive the car decades ago when the power steering was not invented?
I think he was just trying to find a reason to go top speed.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='254227' date='Mar 13 2006, 05:35 PM
:thumbsdown: Put aside how the driver reacted. I am more worry about BMW reliability
Don't worry about the cars Willy, far more problems trace back to the faulty humans

Quick Reply: BMW accelerator jam - 100mph crash