Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Biggest Sand Storm Ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

+1 hope all is safe and congrats on graduating
Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I read about a huge sandstorm in the middle east in the Houston Chronicle today. I hope everyone stays safe, I also wonder what what happens after it passes? Do they have to clean the ENTIRE city for weeks or something?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='941578' date='Jul 14 2009, 02:49 AM
I read about a huge sandstorm in the middle east in the Houston Chronicle today. I hope everyone stays safe, I also wonder what what happens after it passes? Do they have to clean the ENTIRE city for weeks or something?
no. they do not. dust is a part of life over there. funny thing is, after a good dust storm, the dust looks just like a dusting of snow, just brown...
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Thanks everyone

As for the cleaning, The hard part is cleaning the buildings and houses. As for the streets, sand is kind of common on the side of the roads, but nonetheless, the streets will have to be cleaned as usual.

And its funny how its all over the news and people who live in saudi (members from this forum) still say its not true. They may not be in the affected area, but are ignorant of what is happening.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='941627' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:03 AM
Thanks everyone

As for the cleaning, The hard part is cleaning the buildings and houses. As for the streets, sand is kind of common on the side of the roads, but nonetheless, the streets will have to be cleaned as usual.

And its funny how its all over the news and people who live in saudi (members from this forum) still say its not true. They may not be in the affected area, but are ignorant of what is happening.

Look about the sand storm in the youtube video when it happened the news did not warn us about it and it was actually shocking when it happened because no one warn us . I am in Riyadh the capital of Saudi Arabia and there is no sand storm right now even in the region near us !!

Believe me or not

it's like if i post about London will witness the biggest hurricane ever and i'm in Riyadh all of the ppl who lives in London will correct me if the news is making a big deal out off nothing

and between me and you

تعرف المثل الذي يقول :
أهل مكة أدرى بشعابها

وبالتوفيق في دراستك
Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='941627' date='Jul 14 2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone

I think the confusion was that you posted a video of a sandstorm that happened in March, and said Z0MG SANDSTORM COMING! Which is absolutely true, but just the context of the date of the video posting seemed weird. It's all good, habbibi!

And yeah, dust is the way of life in the ME. I bath in it (or what feels like it sometimes).

I've taken off from Kuwait during a nasty sandstorm with like zero visibility, and landed in KSA under similar conditions. At most it just causes delays but usually doesn't stop flights (the magnitude of the sand storm depicted in the video was probably an exception, what a monster).
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dark Master 12' post='941640' date='Jul 14 2009, 06:53 AM
تعرف المثل الذي يقول :
أهل مكة أدرى بشعابها

وبالتوفيق في دراستك
Known proverb which says:
The people of Mecca know the twists

And success in your studies

http://www.stars21.com/translator/ar...o_english.html
Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dark Master 12' post='941640' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:53 AM
Look about the sand storm in the youtube video when it happened the news did not warn us about it and it was actually shocking when it happened because no one warn us . I am in Riyadh the capital of Saudi Arabia and there is no sand storm right now even in the region near us !!

Believe me or not

it's like if i post about London will witness the biggest hurricane ever and i'm in Riyadh all of the ppl who lives in London will correct me if the news is making a big deal out off nothing

and between me and you

تعرف المثل الذي يقول :
أهل مكة أدرى بشعابها

وبالتوفيق في دراستك
Hey there buddy. Glad to know someone is in KSA around here. My father works in Dammam, Khobar. He travels a lot(from jeddah, to sheybah, to najran, to jubbail).
When we first saw it on tv, we directly called my father and told us that it is true and a BIG sandstorm is likely to reach KSA where some Middle EAST countries have been already affected. And was told by his employees that flights might be cancelled. In order to double check, even though the media has been talking about it for the past 2 days, i went to check more resources, the net and read about it and posted them online here.

Yes i can see where the confusion might have come from since i posted the youtube link, but that was what might be coming to KSA.

Thank you my friend for the nice words. Hope everything goes smoothly. Stay safe and just take some precautions(family) also put ur BMW in a closed parking, which is what i told my father
Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='941644' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:59 AM
I think the confusion was that you posted a video of a sandstorm that happened in March, and said Z0MG SANDSTORM COMING! Which is absolutely true, but just the context of the date of the video posting seemed weird. It's all good, habbibi!
HAHAHHA. Yeah. Now that i read it again, ur right. I was just upset that a flight might cancel i just didnt know what i was writting. Had to explain a bit more.

Thx for the extra hand