Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bedroom Theater Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by robg' post='512885' date='Jan 2 2008, 04:13 PM
To resolve the issue of putting components on top of the bedroom furniture, I made a series of brackets which I attached to the back of the dresser. I then placed the components in the brackets "front side up" so the front was about 1/2 inch lower than the top of the dresser. This will work for everything except the dvd player, (unless the dvd player has a center spindle for the discs to snap onto). The remote controls still work. And you do not need to move the furniture more than an inch or so further away from the wall than you would otherwise to accommodate plugs. Note, I did not do this with a high end A/V receiver which is typically taller than the other components and would require you to move the furniture a little further away.

Rob
Rob, maybe it would help to see the furniture in question Bedroom Theater Question-qb415_416.jpg
Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='512919' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info on the cables, would have gone for the reg. store stuff.
The Orbs come with a sub if you buy the system but I agree with you on the Velodyne, that's what I have in the living room.
As for the receiver....I'm going to need luck indeed, my Pioneer is 17 1/2 not including cable clerance.!
which P receiver are you running? I got my new one a few months ago and have the elite VSX-91THX in my bedroom, its about 18 1/2 deep with the cables plus its quite high, looking at that pix it would never fit...also if you do have an elite media receiver you have to be aware of the spacing for heat, meaning that if you can fit the receiver in that slot, it would still be too tight for the heat dissapation...trust me, i tried that with my last receiver and didnt listen to the warnings and just stuck it in to look nice without proper spacing for the heat considerations, well only 5 years later and my amp fried so now I have this new baby...i have a sharp lc 37D90U that I got in the summer of 2006, its a great setup for a bedroom...now if we were talking pure home theater room, id recommend the new Elite 50" plasma 1080p, but for daily use in a bedroom, an lcd is probably better and i agree on the recommendation of the LED LCDs, but again they are just coming to market so they'll be the most costly at this point
Old 01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Here is the latest AVSForum thread on the TV I suggested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=899605

You might consider some of the receivers based on digital amp technology. I think Panasonic is one of the few manufacturers making small ones like you're looking for. I don't think they generate much heat, and the ones I have seen look to be about 15.5 inches deep. The problem is you're going to have to plug shit into the back - adding at least another 3-4 inches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FZ1X1...p_cp_ob_title_1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FZ1X1...p_cp_ob_title_1

The other idea is one that might be far better. My sister has an older version of this Logitech system. The "receiver" part is the photo I inserted. The system sounds -really- good. Amazon would probably let you return it if you didn't like it... It will take a digital coax, an optical, and an analog direct multi-channel. 3 inputs, the analog allowing a Bluray or HD-DVD to decode the new sound formats, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certifi...d/dp/B0002WPSBC http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certifi...d/dp/B0002WPSBC

Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by m630' post='512981' date='Jan 2 2008, 07:03 PM
which P receiver are you running? I got my new one a few months ago and have the elite VSX-91THX in my bedroom, its about 18 1/2 deep with the cables plus its quite high, looking at that pix it would never fit...also if you do have an elite media receiver you have to be aware of the spacing for heat, meaning that if you can fit the receiver in that slot, it would still be too tight for the heat dissapation...trust me, i tried that with my last receiver and didnt listen to the warnings and just stuck it in to look nice without proper spacing for the heat considerations, well only 5 years later and my amp fried so now I have this new baby...i have a sharp lc 37D90U that I got in the summer of 2006, its a great setup for a bedroom...now if we were talking pure home theater room, id recommend the new Elite 50" plasma 1080p, but for daily use in a bedroom, an lcd is probably better and i agree on the recommendation of the LED LCDs, but again they are just coming to market so they'll be the most costly at this point
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX, (she's getting on in years but still performs like a champ) that I use in the living room, it is on a open Bello component/amp rack so heat is never a problem and I don't plan to use it in the bedroom, it won't fit.

As for the TV, 50" is a bit too big, 46" is the max I'll consider, & I'm leaning LCD because of the power usage and flexibility.

Thanks for the imput, and nice system. BTW, what speakers are you using.?

Phill