Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Back from Buenos Aires, some observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I also posted this on my previous BA thread, so pardon my Tony Mac.

Overall, Buenos Aires was a great city to visit. Rich in history and culture. It is a very expensive place to live to the locals, but literally a boon to North Americans due to the favorable (to us) currency exchange, currently 4 pesos to one dollar.

We dined like king and queen, couple of appetizers, filet mignon for the queen and sirloin for me, bottle of Malbec wine, bottle of water, coffee and dessert and never spent more than 45 USD (including tip) on any given night. Restaurants start getting people at around 10:00 PM and are full by 11:00 PM.

I saw a total of three, 3-series (an E36 318ti, an E46 320i, and one E90. I saw only one 530I after one week of searching, and that was on the way to the airport. Audi seems to have a lock in the luxury car division. Gasoline was at 5+ USD per gallon and as you can imagine, small cars rule. A taxi driver was telling me that his taxi could run on both gasoline and diesel and it had two separate tanks for each fuel and he could switch to either at the press of a button. Interesting, I wonder how that works....

Peugeout seems to be very popular (and some models very beautiful). There were plenty of never-seen-by-me Ford and Chevy models, and Fiats. Saw some Japanes cars, but they don't seem to have the same dominance as they do in the states.

We saw a theater production on their version of Broadway. Their shows are very progressive, although there was no nudity. Out of curiosity, I googled both of the two leading ladies, and turns out they were both in Argentina Playboy and Maxim. One was a pro dancer in their "Dancing with the Stars" TV version. We also saw a dinner-tango show, and it was excellent. The city has plenty of museums and buildings dating to the 1500's as well as contemporary designs such as the "Puente de las Mujeres" or "Flor Metal."

The people were very warm and very receptive, although they have a deep fear of pickpockets as wearing backpacks in front-facing stance would indicate. Women hold on to their purses very tightly and always to the front. Just keep your guard up like you would in any major city, and you'll be fine. I always wear my wallet in front, even here, in Boston, and I tend to walk with my hand in my pocket, whenever we're near a crowd or a busy street.

People seemed to be in great shape and the occasional "large-boned" person was usually a tourist from other South American countries or from US and Canada.

I'm very glad we went to see the "Paris of South America," and would go back again, if the world wasn't so big and with many other places to see.