Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010 | 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The BluRay version of Avatar just came out today. Whatever you may think about the movie (and speaking personally, I thought it was awesome), it is by some margin the best looking and best sounding BluRay transfer I've ever seen. It is, quite simply, absolutely stunning, in full screen 1.78:1 aspect ratio 1080p (no letterbox) and DTS-HD Master Audio. Absolutely reference quality material. If you have a decent TV, home theater system and a BluRay player you need to give it a spin. It's incredible...
Old 04-22-2010 | 06:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 X3 LCI

You're the second person to say that today, I think I'll be going to Walmart to pick it up in a few minutes. Thanks for the heads up. I haven't see it yet.
Old 04-22-2010 | 08:30 PM
Contributors

From: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

got it at Target for $19.99, never got a chance to see it in theaters.. and maybe kinda embarrassing to say, but this is my first BluRay movie...just bought the wifey a new Sony Vaio laptop with BluRay and HDMI output, so excited to check it out
Old 04-23-2010 | 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

From what I heard, a better version with more special features will be released later this year, maybe X'mas.
Old 04-23-2010 | 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by theXman
From what I heard, a better version with more special features will be released later this year, maybe X'mas.
Yep - apparently due in November. There actually aren't any special features on this one, apparently the movie alone takes up almost the entire 50GB on the disc...
Old 04-23-2010 | 08:02 AM
Contributors

Hmmm. I'd already decided I wouldn't get it, but now I'm doubting that decision.

I don't get it. Why they're
selling the DVD+BluRay in a combo pack selling the DVD+BluRay in a combo pack
. People want one or the other. Who wants both? I guess it's a good deal if you want one and a friend wants the other. I read all about the people saying wait for the later release with extra footage and extras. I don't care about all that stuff. Ordered mine. Release date here is the 27th
Old 04-23-2010 | 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Hmmm. I'd already decided I wouldn't get it, but now I'm doubting that decision.

I don't get it. Why they're selling the DVD+BluRay in a combo pack. People want one or the other. Who wants both? I guess it's a good deal if you want one and a friend wants the other. I read all about the people saying wait for the later release with extra footage and extras. I don't care about all that stuff. Ordered mine. Release date here is the 27th
Don't know for sure DD, but I'd guess that the incremental cost of adding the DVD version is negligible and the net result is that people are more inclined to buy the combo (at a reasonable premium) because they might want or need to use the DVD version in say their car or their laptop. The combo probably adds little to the overall cost but disproportionately more to the bottom line. Customers get more and the distributors get more. The best combo packs are the ones that give you BluRay, DVD and the digital copy as you can pretty much use the content anywhere. Either way, I know you just bought a new TV and this is going to be the perfect demo disc for you. Do you have HD audio by the way? As good as the video transfer is, the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is just phenomenal...
Old 04-23-2010 | 09:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Don't know for sure DD, but I'd guess that the incremental cost of adding the DVD version is negligible and the net result is that people are more inclined to buy the combo (at a reasonable premium) because they might want or need to use the DVD version in say their car or their laptop. The combo probably adds little to the overall cost but disproportionately more to the bottom line. Customers get more and the distributors get more. The best combo packs are the ones that give you BluRay, DVD and the digital copy as you can pretty much use the content anywhere. Either way, I know you just bought a new TV and this is going to be the perfect demo disc for you. Do you have HD audio by the way? As good as the video transfer is, the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is just phenomenal...
It's also a great deal for two people to buy when each want one version. You have the DVD, I'll have the Blu-Ray, we're onto a winner (I hear them saying in imaginaryland).

Yes I'm all home-theatred up. I've tested the Blu-Ray with Kill Bill 1 and of course it's fantastic picture quality. I haven't hooked up the audio yet. I got a nice Onkyo amp, surround and sub-woofer from a Canton and all the cables. That's a job for the weekend. So far I've only got Kill Bill 1&2 and the Matrix Trilogy in Blu-Ray. Avatar to come soon too

btw, there was a cool ipad skit on Letterman the other night, you'd have liked it. I just looked on youtube and it's not there yet.
Old 04-23-2010 | 09:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 X3 LCI

Finally got a chance to watch it. DAMN GOOD MOVIE.
Old 04-23-2010 | 09:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by swajames
The BluRay version of Avatar just came out today. Whatever you may think about the movie (and speaking personally, I thought it was awesome), it is by some margin the best looking and best sounding BluRay transfer I've ever seen. It is, quite simply, absolutely stunning, in full screen 1.78:1 aspect ratio 1080p (no letterbox) and DTS-HD Master Audio. Absolutely reference quality material. If you have a decent TV, home theater system and a BluRay player you need to give it a spin. It's incredible...

cool, glad to hear, I also picked it up on the way home tonight....had to buy a blu-ray player as well though and this is the only blu ray disc I have, so no point of reference yet. the quality of the video on my aqeous (sp?) is stunning!!

bastard, now I am going to be disappointed with every blu-ray I get now j/k

Quick Reply: Avatar out on Blu Ray