Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Apple - great deal on a Mac purchase for college

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Great deal for those who have young ones in college.

Choose your Mac.
If you?re a student, teacher, or staff member and you buy a Mac with your education discount before September 15, 2008, you can get a free iPod touch or iPod nano after rebate.*

* Buy a qualifying Mac and iPod with your Apple education discount from June 3, 2008, through September 15, 2008, while supplies last, and be eligible for a rebate up to $299. Terms and conditions apply.

Terms and Conditions
You must purchase qualifying products together using Apple?s Education Individual discount from June 3, 2008, through September 15, 2008. You must be a
qualified Apple Education Individual end-user purchaser, and not a reseller or institution, to obtain this promotional offer. Products must be purchased from the
Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Qualifying orders from the Apple Online Store or Apple Telesales that are placed during the promotion and ship after the offer ends are eligible. Residents of Rhode Island and Connecticut who purchase in their state of residence receive an instant rebate and are not eligible for any additional rebate; additional Terms and Conditions apply.

EDUCATION INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE QUALIFICATIONS: Faculty and staff of higher education institutions and students attending or accepted into a higher education institution are eligible. Any employee of a public or private K?12 institution or Qualified Homeschoolers in the United States or District of Columbia are eligible. School board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Complete details.
http://store.apple.com/us
Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

I just bought a new iMac a few weeks ago too =(

FWIW, I picked up a 24" 3.06Ghz iMac for the wife and this thing screams. If not for the need/want for more than 4GB of RAM I would replace my PowerMac with one of these. Vista and XP runs great on it as well. In fact, Vista runs better on this Mac than on my new Lenovo T61p ThinkPad with 4GB of RAM I use for work.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='595116' date='Jun 4 2008, 12:01 AM
I just bought a new iMac a few weeks ago too =(

FWIW, I picked up a 24" 3.06Ghz iMac for the wife and this thing screams. If not for the need/want for more than 4GB of RAM I would replace my PowerMac with one of these. Vista and XP runs great on it as well. In fact, Vista runs better on this Mac than on my new Lenovo T61p ThinkPad with 4GB of RAM I use for work.
Speaking of iMacs, I've been considering the 20" or 24" for the study. From your post, it sounds like a winner. I've got a T60 at work and with all the encryption software IT has running on it, it takes about 5 minutes to boot up. Great way to start a workday everyday. So how much RAM does your iMac have? I've got a Mac Book Pro 15" in my basket right now with 2GB RAM, is this enough or should I customize and get 4GB for $200 more?

thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='595124' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:07 AM
Speaking of iMacs, I've been considering the 20" or 24" for the study. From your post, it sounds like a winner. I've got a T60 at work and with all the encryption software IT has running on it, it takes about 5 minutes to boot up. Great way to start a workday everyday. So how much RAM does your iMac have? I've got a Mac Book Pro 15" in my basket right now with 2GB RAM, is this enough or should I customize and get 4GB for $200 more?
Currently this iMac has the standard 2GB of RAM. I plan on upgrading to 4GB at some point soon. I wouldn't pay Apple's memory prices. The iMac now uses laptop memory and it's accessible from a small panel at the bottom grill (single phillips screw). The 2GB may be enough for you but if you use Parallels or VM Ware then you may consider adding more memory to improve performance running multiple OSes.

On my desktop Mac I have 8GB of memory and may soon upgrade to 16GB because of some of the other applications I use. With the 8GB I don't find myself swapping to the hard drive often but occasionally do and at the current prices of RAM it's a cheap upgrade that you can do yourself.