Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anyone using the Slingbox?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I'm thinking of picking one of these up... only $250.

http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/

From the site:

In just four simple steps, the Slingbox is ready for use.
1. Connect the TV source to the Slingbox.
2. Connect the Slingbox to your home network router.
3. Plug in the Slingbox power adapter.
4. Install Sling Media?s software application, the SlingPlayer?.

The Slingbox is now ready to view and control your TV programming via your Internet connected Windows XP PC or laptop as if you were sitting in your living room, watching your TV source, and using its own remote control.

The Slingbox is powered by a high-performance digital signal processor from Texas Instruments and leverages Microsoft?s latest Windows Media technologies for live TV streaming. The Sling Media software used to view the streaming video from a Slingbox and to remotely control a user?s cable TV, satellite box, or DVR is called SlingPlayer. SlingPlayer uses proprietary technology designed by Sling Media to significantly enhance the consumer viewing experience.

The SlingPlayer proprietary software encompasses several innovative technologies and features including:

SlingStream? - a proprietary streaming technology specifically designed to address varying network conditions while optimizing your video playback experience. SlingStream provides the best possible video experience by continuously monitoring the connection speed and dynamically adjusting the video compression ratios to match your available network bandwidth.

SlingRemote? - a virtual remote control that displays right on your PC screen the remote control buttons for the device that you connected to your Slingbox. If a DVR is connected, you can play your recorded programs and control the action. Recordings can even be scheduled within the SlingPlayer software. Use the SlingRemote to control whatever TV source is connected to the Slingbox.

SlingBar? - a convenient way to watch TV while using your computer for other functions. You can watch TV while surfing the Web, writing an email, or working on a spreadsheet. Using the SlingPlayer application, the video window and the SlingRemote can be "docked" to one side of the PC screen, in what?s called the SlingBar mode. Your PC desktop will dynamically resize to fit the remaining screen space.

In the coming months, SlingPlayer software will be available for select PDAs, smart phones, and Macintosh computers and will be fully compatible with the Slingbox. Please visit our support site for the latest information on additional Slingbox and SlingPlayer platform compatibility.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

nice idea!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

sony will have one later this year for $50 more. in fact, my friend already ordered a sony one from japan and will use it to watch japanese programs.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Oct 9 2005, 09:29 PM
sony will have one later this year for $50 more.? in fact, my friend already ordered a sony one from japan and will use it to watch japanese programs.
[snapback]181921[/snapback]

Interesting - I might hold out for the Sony model. I'd want to use it with my PSP and I figure they'd probably make it work with the PSP before anyone else - I doubt the PSP homebrew community can cook up enough functionality to integrate with Slingbox.

Being able to control and watch via PSP would be hot.

Do you have a link to the item?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've got a SlingBox and I love it...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=15793
Old 10-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Wow, it's like I've got ESP or a crystal ball or somthing...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26924

PSP update to allow it to receive video from Sony's "LocationFree TV" via wireless LAN. Hot.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

I will add it to the list for my xmas gift

Nice idea.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You won't be disappointed...