Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anyone else going to the U.S. Grand Prix this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Anyone else from the forum going to be at the Grand Prix?

Looking forward to what should be a fantastic race weekend - but I can't see it living up to the amazing events of the last race in Canada! I'm expecting another McLaren dominated weekend but I think BMW will be strong here as so much of the track is taken at top speed.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='435664' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:14 AM
Anyone else from the forum going to be at the Grand Prix?

Looking forward to what should be a fantastic race weekend - but I can't see it living up to the amazing events of the last race in Canada! I'm expecting another McLaren dominated weekend but I think BMW will be strong here as so much of the track is taken at top speed.
I'll only be there through my tv. Have fun!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributors

How was Indy? How's the new Porsche? (Mods - we need a jealous emoticon ... please insert here).
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='437557' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:47 PM
How was Indy? How's the new Porsche? (Mods - we need a jealous emoticon ... please insert here).
It was a phenomenal weekend. Missed most of the pit walkabout etc on Thursday (my friends said it was awesome) but caught everything else from Friday onward. Practice was pretty cool on Friday, then on Friday night we went in to Indianapolis for dinner (we were satying close to the airport). Turns out our dinner reservation was at the same hotel restaurant as Kimi! As we were leaving he came in, followed by Jean Todt who was also at the same hotel. As we headed in to town to find the cigar bar we saw Fisichella, and a little later we saw Alonso too. Felt a little like a stalker but it was cool to see these guys.

Qualifying was excellent, particularly when Lewis topped his own best time on his final lap. We were sat right on the NW Vista for the race (right by turn 1). Last year we had the seven or eight car pile up on the very first bend, this year it was cool to see Hamilton holding off Alonso heading in to turn one but of course Trulli and Coulthard did connect and were out of the race at the first turn. Pretty uneventful race after that, highlight was the attempted pass from Alonso on Lewis, again at turn one. From where we were sat we thought Alonso had edged in front but as they hit the bend we could see Lewis had shut the door.

One of the cool things about where we were sat was that you could really see the most amazing thing about an F1 car - the brakes. These guys were just flying down the main straight on full WOT and didn't brake until they were right at the corner. Just amazing to see. We also had a great view of Rosburg's engine giving way near the end - which worked for Vettel as he got into the points. He had an amazing weekend too - he looks like an excellent driver.

Shame Kubica didn't race, but good to see Vettel seems to have what it takes. I thought BMW looked strong up until the race. I'm pretty sure they are going to win a race this year. I'm now torn between BMW Sauber and McLaren - so felt honor bound to get a bunch of merchandise from both. Overall another excellent weekend for Hamilton. Got to say he is looking like the real deal and Alonso isn't coping well with the pressure. Going to be an interesting year.

As for the 997, I absolutely love it. I do miss my 550, but right now I'm incredibly happy with the Porsche - which is a good thing as it's my daily driver!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Thanks for sharing.
Wish I was there too.