Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Am I being unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought a used DSLR from another forum

Seller gave me a good price and some extra goodies, showed me some pictures he took with it and everything looked good.

I get the camera and start taking some pictures, i noticed black smudges, one in particular that comes up in every shot. No biggie, find out the sensor needs to be cleaned, and the seller says that he never had the problem of it being dirty before. He says he will not split the cost of getting it cleaned which is $80.

His reasoning is that i bought a used camera, and that once i bought it anything that happened after that is my problem. I think thats a shitty thing to do considering that I use this camera for school, all the local camera shops have cleaning kits but they cost the same amount as their $80 sensor cleanings.

I need the camera for school so I cant wait to order another cleaning product and not be able to use it.

I asked the seller to split the bill with me as that it looks like it could have happened during shipping (he put it in a bag, then box and off it went).

My position was that yes i bought a used camera, but what i didnt buy was a camera that needed something for it to work. If I had known it was filthy i wouldnt have bought it as i only paid $370 for the d50 plus lenses, bag and other goodies.

The seller basically states, that he will help me fix it but if it costs money too bad for me. A majority of other members on the forum agree with his position and that im basically being an unreasonable baby.

I didnt think splitting the bill was unreasonable. Am I wrong?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Splitting the bill is fair. The seller is being a little bitch asshole.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I think he should help out if for no other reason than "good faith", that said - yes, you are an unreasonable baby PTL.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

In a courtroom you'd lose. Unless you could establish, by a simple preponderance of the evidence, that there was deceit or misleading and the defect was actively hidden from you. From what you related, you'd lose.

If I sold it to you I would give you a refund and take the camera back or I'd pay the cost of the fix- at my choice. That is the way I would deal with it.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
I think he should help out if for no other reason than "good faith", that said - yes, you are an unreasonable baby PTL.

thats kinda what i argued, that it was the right thing to do and that it was $40, not the entire amount but he got what i suspect are some of his forum buddies to back him up and now its on page 4 of "PTL's an asshole"

lol
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juris335
In a courtroom you'd lose. Unless you could establish, by a simple preponderance of the evidence, that there was deceit or misleading and the defect was actively hidden from you. From what you related, you'd lose.

If I sold it to you I would give you a refund and take the camera back or I'd pay the cost of the fix- at my choice. That is the way I would deal with it.
yeah i know, its about a reasonable solution to an issue. I would reimburse the $40 to the buyer but this guys claims he has no extra money even though he just bought a d200 and an engagement ring for his whore slut gf ($40 of that is mine beezy)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Contributors

if you guys wanna read the thread lol

my feelings got hurt towards the end...i felt betrayed lol

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=749010
Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Well...he his pics do prove that the camera wasn't faulty before he shipped it...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
Well...he his pics do prove that the camera wasn't faulty before he shipped it...

here is the thing, there is no way of actually knowing what camera he used to take those pictures, he could have used his d200. I cant prove what he did or didnt use to give those examples and considering his unwillingness to help out over $40 it leads me to think it was a "ok you got a good price, but there is a problem with it that i wont tell you about now go fuck off" approach
Old 03-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Contributors

Yea I see what your saying....if it is true...I hate people that do business that way.

Quick Reply: Am I being unreasonable?