Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Advices from my BMW brothers/sisters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to share some good news with everyone and was hoping to get some advice.
I recently completed my M.Eng in Building Engineering (4 weeks ago) and have been offered a good position in Richmond, B.C.

I currently live in Montreal and will be moving to B.C on July 1st.
Friends here have been suggesting that I live in Vancouver and commute to work rather than living in Richmond as it is not a city to live-in in your early 20s.
I like places that are convenient, where groceries store, drug store, malls, gym are within my radius.

Now the downside to that option is that I would have to lease a car ( or is there way to reach Richmond by public transportation) and rent is higher in Vancouver than in Richmond.

The alternative is to live in Richmond however, not much of a social life I'll be having there ( or is it different than what people have been saying).

This is my first Big job. Would like to be 100% efficient and be fully dedicated to my job.

If anyone living in Vancouver or Richmond could chime in or share a tip or two, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you
Jad
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Anyone?

I really need help as I have no knowledge whatsoever of that area nor do I know anyone there.

Would really appreciate any help/advice/suggestion.

Thanks again,
Jad
Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Hello, fellow E60 enthusiast,

I don't know the area, as a matter of fact, I've never been in that area, but from what I have read, it seems that Richmond is only 20 minutes away from downtown Vancouver.

If Canada is anything like the USA, I imagine that renting or owning a place would be much more expensive in the city than in the suburbs.

As a young man, I managed just fine living in a suburb of Boston, just 30 minutes away, and then conducting a fair amount of partying in the city, only 30 minutes away. I can't even imagine affording a place in the city, at that time. The other advantage of living in the suburb was that I lived close to work and I did not have to worry about the rush-hour traffic in and out of the city.

I would vote for you to live in Richmond, near your work and then going into the city for party and recreation. I'm sure that once you start your job, you'll meet interesting people who also live in Richmond and you can party in each others' places during the week, with a weekly trip or two to the city during the weekend.

The important thing to remember, no matter which place you choose, is to live your life to the fullest and find the right balance between work and play.

Have fun, my friend, and enjoy your youth.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

First off, congrats on earning the diploma!!! Walking accross the stage and getting my Masters diploma is one of my life's most cherised moments.

As for where you chose to live - look at it this way, you HAVE to work but you don't always have to party. Besides, meet the right group of people and the "party" can be wherever you or your friends want it to be.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Thank you both for replying Appreciate it.

When I mentioned social life, didn't really mean partying. I meant that when you are in the suburbs, apartments thus people live further apart from each other making social life harder then in the city (lived my entire life in cities, so everyone i knew were a few blocks away from each other). I was just worried not to have much of a social life as I am more of a people person. Always like to have people around.

My next move is to find an apartment near work ( Company constructs bridges) as I want to save up on car Lease payments, tax, gas, insurance,etc...

I might end up living in Richmond as most of you have suggested, since rent is cheaper and won't be needing a Vehicle hopefully (public transportation for the first year).

Just need someone from Vancouver or Richmond to guide me.

I have been in this situation before when I first move to Montreal and was really a pain. Luckily my classes were in the afternoon, so had all morning to explore the city and settle somewhere I am comfortable in.

However in Vancouver, I would be Working, not much of exploring I can do and need to be relaxed when going to work to perform to my full potential
Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

dont worry bout your social life, get your paper stacked. the rest follows