Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Advice for Court. Going tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a few questions. Speeding. If I settle for a plea bargain for no points but pay a fine. Does it go on your record and insurance will go up.

I'm planning on fighting it since I wasn't speeding. Cop blocked off the road and pulled all 5 (5series.net members) over. I was the 2nd car. Then dropped to the 5th in line when the cop pulled out. Said he saw me see him pull out. I moved into the right lane and let him pass. 40 zone ended and becomes 55. He said he got me going 80 in a 55.

Last hearing they gave me an option for 2 points instead of 6. I declined and request to fight it. Another member behind me got no points. Just pay a fine. By then I had already left.

So even if you pay the fine, does it come up on your record as speeding? Which in turn you insurance will go up right?

At this point, I don't mind just paying for the fine and no points and get it over with. Went up there 2-3 times already. 2 hour drive. I just don't want my insurance to go up.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Not sure about the insurance implication. Here in MA, if you are tagged with speeding, you are automatically given points and insurance will go up.

If you don't settle, be ready to question your accuser. Ask pointed questions. He has to remember the events from memory. Ask him simple questions. If your car is blue, ask him what shade of blue is your car. Ask him how many passengers you were carrying. See if you can make him change his story. Ask generic questions like "when did you first notice me?" He most likely will give the generic answer "you were weaving in and out of traffic." See if you can help him remember more details after he gives you this answer. If he changes his story, point this out to him and the judge and then ask the judge to dismiss based on the incompetent witness. Worth a shot. It worked for me. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Thanks. I'll use that if they don't give me the plea bargain I want.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

Could get a traffic lawyer to fight it off? I don't know what they do but I got off with an 80 on a 55 with nothing
Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Alpine White 530i

How did it go? And by the way I believe the ticket itself is changed to something with no points it shouldn't affect your insurance. I had an accumulated 4 points would have been 10, one of them was a speeding ticket and I took the plea bargain. Later on I come to find out the speeding ticket that was going to be 6 points was changed to crossing red light ticket(2 points). If your plea bargain is basically fine with no points. I'm pretty sure that ticket would be moved to a non-traffic(moving) violation. I know your court date passed already but for future reference(hopefully doesn't happen again).
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

dk, and for everyone.....When you receive a citation, the officer gives you a copy. Now on his copy is called the return. That is where he writes what he observed and is what he uses in court to refresh his memory. (ie...field notes) You are not allowed to see that copy in court. But as stated in a previous post, if you attain a lawyer, some good ones can get you out of it.