Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

aaa claim denied

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i appreciate any input
i have aaa homeowner insurance for 4 years , recently in december i had flood in my house.what actually happend is toilet bowl was leaking underneath.this was impossible to discover , but one day i noticed something wrong with the floor (i have slab , on top of it 3/4 plywood , on top of plywood 3/4 solid hardwood flooring).the floor was moving probably 1/8 up-down because of the amount of water under the floor.i called aaa , filed claim , adjuster showed up in 2 days , did an estimate and called me within 2 days announcing the denial. he explained the reason : continuous damage is not covered by my insurance.i have $10k repair done in my house already , just wondering is there any way to do anything . adjuster explained me that the damage i have for a long time and it is not covered. as i stated - was impossible to discover , nothing visible on the floor, plywood was soaking the water drop by drop making the damage.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm not a home owner, so this may be really off. I've read several times in the past - I don't know, year? - that a LOT of home owner insurance claims are being denied lately. Particularly those having to do with water damages and mold. Perhaps your insurer is notorious for something like this - in which case, you might have simply been stream-lined into a "denied" status without proper consideration.

In either case, it would seem to me that you should start with an independent evaluation of your claim and all the records of the circumstances that happened. You might have to take this to court to win it, but don't worry - it is my experience that insurers will always rather pay where they truly are to pay. Even if occasionally it takes some fighting.

Hang in there.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Having extensive dealings with insurance companies following Katrina, they will f*ck you every chance they get! Don't believe the marketing crap about "doing the right thing" or "your in good hands"... Sorry for the rant but their job is to minimize claims payouts.

In your case, a tricky situation. I understand what the adjuster is saying, no different than a small leak in your roof causing damage. That is more of a wear and tear issue than an accident. Now if a pipe burst causing immediate damage, that is payable under homeowners.

This is one of those gray areas that you could pursue but likely at the cost of increased rates and potentially being dropped.