Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

2nd home invasion

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gildagjg' post='885645' date='May 21 2009, 01:02 PM
WOW .... I'm happy to hear nothing serious happened...
karma's a bitch so whom ever tried to break into your home will get hit three fold....
+1 one. The guy that did that is going to wrap his car around a tree.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='885304' date='May 21 2009, 02:38 AM
I believe that the carrying a gun is not a solution to do this.
What I believe is that(from the how you described this break in)
your finance should have locked the doors all the time. Jus the patio door
is asking for break ins. A lot of people leave windows, front doors, patios unlocked/opened
during the day. However, break ins occur more during the day as most Americans are at
work/school etc during the day. I truly believe this burglar thought no one is home with just
the patio door being locked and surprised by someone is at home and ran away.

What I recommend is, consider change the locks/front door to more durable/stronger/hard to break.
Although many people prefer to open their windows and blinds, at least when she is by herself,
she should close all of these. By doing this, you can prevent most of burglars as they do not
patiently try to break the lock. They usually give couple tries then move on to next target if door can't be
opened.
why do you blame the innocent or the victim for failing to do such things like locks doors, close blinds, close windows etc? why do we have to live in constant fear?

also, your statement is contradictory in nature. first you say the thug thought no one was home due to the locked door? then you say lot of people leave windows open and such cause their home and wont get intrusion. then you advise to get better doors and locks and such. it appears when a thug wants to commit a crime, it doesn?t matter what you do! the only thing left for the law abiding citizen is to get the right tool for the job? did you know the mere presence of a handgun, without firing a shot prevents a crime? well, you wont know that from the anti gun media.

good luck waiting 5-10 minutes for the police to arrive while the crime happens in seconds.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by unknown' post='885687' date='May 21 2009, 10:49 AM
why do you blame the innocent or the victim for failing to do such things like locks doors, close blinds, close windows etc? why do we have to live in constant fear?

also, your statement is contradictory in nature. first you say the thug thought no one was home due to the locked door? then you say lot of people leave windows open and such cause their home and wont get intrusion. then you advise to get better doors and locks and such. it appears when a thug wants to commit a crime, it doesn?t matter what you do! the only thing left for the law abiding citizen is to get the right tool for the job? did you know the mere presence of a handgun, without firing a shot prevents a crime? well, you wont know that from the anti gun media.

good luck waiting 5-10 minutes for the police to arrive while the crime happens in seconds.
I really don't get your statements. I think you read my reply in a hurry or simply read the part wrong. And yes we do live in a constant fear. Ever heard of news?

1) "first you say the thug thought no one was home due to the locked door? then you say lot of people leave windows open and such cause their home and wont get intrusion"
When did I say they won't get intrusion? It is very possible that this thug thought no one is at home with just the screen patio door being locked. Then this thug simply used a knife to cut the screen reach the lock inside, unlock, then simply went in. However, like the OP said, alarm went off and this thug ran away immediately which means this thug thought no one was home, but when he opened the door light went out scare the sh$t of him because he though someone was home and ran away.
I clearly stated that people leave windows open is inviting the break ins not the other way.

2)then you advise to get better doors and locks and such.
Then what else is better? keep this useless locks and let this burglar come in again? In the first intrusion,
this burglar broke in so easily which means the lock is not that useful. Do you think carrying a gun at home is
the safest way to protect? What if the lock/door combo is so durable that the burglars can't break in couple tries
then move on to next target/back off?
Remember in this intrusion, alarm alerted her that the back door is open. Without the alarm, she would be too late
to find out that this people already went inside. Even she had a gun in near reach, it's almost certain that the burglars
carry guns as well. First one to aim always win. It could be little to useless if you can't aim the gun before them.

3)it appears when a thug wants to commit a crime, it doesn?t matter what you do! the only thing left for the law abiding citizen is to get the right tool for the job
It is very true, if someone wants to break in to your house, they will no matter what. The best we can do is make them harder to break in.
Simply hold on to a gun without proper/safer locks etc is not a solution. You could prevent 99% of break ins by making much tougher for them
to break in. Remember the burglars don't have all day and night to break this lock. They are as nervous as anybody. It is very likely
they will attemp couple times then move on if it can't be broken.

4)did you know the mere presence of a handgun, without firing a shot prevents a crime
Do you also know that the mere presence of a handgun, means scare the f#$k out of them and fire the gun without thinking?

All I'm trying to say is carrying a gun is not the absolute answer to this. Like I said before, in this kind of scenario, first who aim at others
wins or I should say dominate. Burglars are prepared with a gun out when they break in, you don't know when it's going to happen. 9 out of 10 times,
you won't be in near the gun when they break in unless it's at night you are sleeping on 2nd floor, woke up to use restroom, then hear/see
people. Sure carrying a gun is helpful in certain situations and I am not against it. I just wish that OP and others to not to think,
ok I got the gun, go to shooting range often, I am prepared.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

scary... glad to hear that nobody was hurt!

Time to get a dog?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='885196
wow, glad to hear your fiance is alright/unharmed..stay safe..
THATS SCARY!! Glad everyone is ok! You can never be too prepared when dealing with that situation. Get her the permit and teach everything she needs to know!

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='885619' date='May 21 2009, 11:29 AM
Well, my thoughts are

1. alarm always on and set to night (which means it goes off when door opens whenever you are home, no 30 sec delay).

2. keep guns at close enough reach, upstairs locked up is not "close reach"

3. if you have kids, i have an 11 y/o. they need to understand what respect for guns is, if they dont... forget about #2

4. teach her where to aim, center mass and keep pulling the trigger. sorry guys, i have no sympathy for criminals... u walk in, u leave in a body bag PERIOD!

oh yeah, very happy to hear she is okay!
+1 on all those points!! I have an alarm and set it the second i walk in. When i goto bed i set the motion detector. My boyfriend sleeps with a large knife under his side of the bed. No gun yet, he is going to get a permit!!
I live in little old nebraska but live out in the country. If something was to happen out here NO ONE would hear it. Im not going to risk my life for someone trying to take my things or harm me. Kill or be killed....im going to fuck them up!!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

[quote name='Alpine White Girl' date='May 21 2009, 07:00 PM' post=
Kill or be killed....im going to fuck them up!!
[/quote]

That's the spirit!!

But seriously, no sympathy for criminals. They had a choice to break in or not and they made the wrong choice. Not my problem, that's there own fault, and that fault may cost them their life.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='885960' date='May 21 2009, 06:14 PM
[quote name='Alpine White Girl' date='May 21 2009, 07:00 PM' post=
Kill or be killed....im going to fuck them up!!

That's the spirit!!

But seriously, no sympathy for criminals. They had a choice to break in or not and they made the wrong choice. Not my problem, that's there own fault, and that fault may cost them their life.
the bottom line is possessions can be replaced, people can't. If someone was stealing my stuff and ran off im not going to shoot them in the back. I would simply call the police. If someone is charging me with a knife or a weapon im not going to show sympathy.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='885964' date='May 21 2009, 07:17 PM
the bottom line is possessions can be replaced, people can't. If someone was stealing my stuff and ran off im not going to shoot them in the back. I would simply call the police. If someone is charging me with a knife or a weapon im not going to show sympathy.
+1. And you can get in real trouble if you shoot someone for just stealing something from you without threatening you with your life.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='885980' date='May 21 2009, 07:30 PM
+1. And you can get in real trouble if you shoot someone for just stealing something from you without threatening you with your life.
Exactly. That's why the most effective strategy is to deter the robber in the first place. And that's where a fierce, protective watch dog (German Shepard, Rottweiler, etc) comes in. A firearm is a last-ditch defense. If you're in a bad area, having a first-lie deterrent will almodt always prevent a situation from developing where you'd need to use the firearms.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='885988' date='May 21 2009, 07:46 PM
Exactly. That's why the most effective strategy is to deter the robber in the first place. And that's where a fierce, protective watch dog (German Shepard, Rottweiler, etc) comes in. A firearm is a last-ditch defense. If you're in a bad area, having a first-lie deterrent will almodt always prevent a situation from developing where you'd need to use the firearms.
Also, one of the worst things you can do is shoot the criminal in the shoulder or some place non lethal on purpose because you "didn't want to kill him".
Then the court will determine you weren't in enough danger to use a firearm because you didn't feel like you had to shoot to kill.

Quick Reply: 2nd home invasion