Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

2nd home invasion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior
Smile

Some of you are familiar with my first burglary story a couple years ago. Not gonna repeat it again here.

Happened again!!!! Twice in 4 years!!

My fiancee just graduated from nursing school so she is home all day now studying for her board exam. About 1:30 pm today, somebody cut the screen on the patio, reached in and unlocked the screen door, and entered my patio. I have an alarm on that door, but since she was at home... the alarm was not set.

I have a spot light with a motion detector on my patio.... it is not supposed to activate in daylight, but I guess today was overcast enough to make it active. The light turned on... my fiancee came to see why it went on... and observed a young male running out the patio door. (the police feel that the perp probably did not notice the motion light and figured the home owner turned the light on causing him to flee)

She had no description except clothing because she only saw him from the back as he was running off the patio. Police unable to gather any prints. There's a surprise CSI doesn't show up for a simple B&E, so Howdy and Doody try to lift prints.

Few lessons from wifey, I always have guns in the house... but if I am not home, she usually keeps them locked in the safe.

She is now adamant about keeping one out and at her expense at all times. She wants me to take her to the range again... and she wants me to schedule her for her "concealed carry permit" class. I have been trying to convince her that she should do this for years but she has constantly refused.

Now that she has experienced the threat more than once, and realizes the randomness and boldness of the criminal mind, she feels fully empowered to protect herself.

Hopefully all will go well.... and alarm will be on at all times, even when she is home.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

wow, glad to hear your fiance is alright/unharmed..stay safe..
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='885196' date='May 21 2009, 12:13 AM
She is now adamant about keeping one out and at her expense at all times. She wants me to take her to the range again... and she wants me to schedule her for her "concealed carry permit" class. I have been trying to convince her that she should do this for years but she has constantly refused.

Now that she has experienced the threat more than once, and realizes the randomness and boldness of the criminal mind, she feels fully empowered to protect herself.
Roger, sorry to hear about what happened. Glad to hear that nothing serious happened and that she wasn't harmed. Take her to the range and get her permit ASAP.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='885198' date='May 20 2009, 10:17 PM
Roger, sorry to hear about what happened. Glad to hear that nothing serious happened and that she wasn't harmed. Take her to the range and get her permit ASAP.
+1 Better she is a "Pistol Packin' Mama"!!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='885196' date='May 21 2009, 12:13 AM
Some of you are familiar with my first burglary story a couple years ago. Not gonna repeat it again here.

Happened again!!!! Twice in 4 years!!

My fiancee just graduated from nursing school so she is home all day now studying for her board exam. About 1:30 pm today, somebody cut the screen on the patio, reached in and unlocked the screen door, and entered my patio. I have an alarm on that door, but since she was at home... the alarm was not set.

I have a spot light with a motion detector on my patio.... it is not supposed to activate in daylight, but I guess today was overcast enough to make it active. The light turned on... my fiancee came to see why it went on... and observed a young male running out the patio door. (the police feel that the perp probably did not notice the motion light and figured the home owner turned the light on causing him to flee)

She had no description except clothing because she only saw him from the back as he was running off the patio. Police unable to gather any prints. There's a surprise CSI doesn't show up for a simple B&E, so Howdy and Doody try to lift prints.

Few lessons from wifey, I always have guns in the house... but if I am not home, she usually keeps them locked in the safe.

Hopefully all will go well.... and alarm will be on at all times, even when she is home.
Hope all is well. Glad to hear your fiancee is ok.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

tiger, thank God your gal is ok!

That being said, you sure go to extreme measures to get her to carry. Breaking into you're own house to teach her a lesson for having the guns locked up, brilliant. Nice touch wearing gloves and different clothes. Just kidding tiger!!!

Get her the CC ASAP and teach her well.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Thanks for the concern fellas.

As husbands, fathers, brothers, etc. we all feel like will protect our own at all costs. The reality is that we can not be there at all times.

My fiancee was very traumatized after the first incident. It took her months until she would come home alone. She would sit in the parking lot and wait for me to come home. I tried to convince her to go to the range with me more often and even obtain protection for herself, but because of the violence in her past she was too afraid.

She eventually became comfortable with weapons in the house... but was still less than enthusiastic.

Now she is mad, and refuses to be a victim. I never "pushed" her but she always rebutted my encouragement. I really hate that this happened to her again... but I am grateful that she is now willing to grow/learn and be pro-active.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='885248' date='May 21 2009, 01:53 AM
tiger, thank God your gal is ok!

That being said, you sure go to extreme measures to get her to carry. Breaking into you're own house to teach her a lesson for having the guns locked up, brilliant. Nice touch wearing gloves and different clothes. Just kidding tiger!!!

Get her the CC ASAP and teach her well.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Thank god everyone is OK.
I am gonna express my own opinion regarding this situation.
I hope I do not offend you and I never intend to do so.

I believe that the carrying a gun is not a solution to do this.
What I believe is that(from the how you described this break in)
your finance should have locked the doors all the time. Jus the patio door
is asking for break ins. A lot of people leave windows, front doors, patios unlocked/opened
during the day. However, break ins occur more during the day as most Americans are at
work/school etc during the day. I truly believe this burglar thought no one is home with just
the patio door being locked and surprised by someone is at home and ran away.

What I recommend is, consider change the locks/front door to more durable/stronger/hard to break.
Although many people prefer to open their windows and blinds, at least when she is by herself,
she should close all of these. By doing this, you can prevent most of burglars as they do not
patiently try to break the lock. They usually give couple tries then move on to next target if door can't be
opened.

I got this from my police friend. I lived in Ft. Laurdale for 8 months(Plantation to be exact) and this area
is not the safetest place to live.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man, but good to know your fiance is all good.

Quick Reply: 2nd home invasion