Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

22s on a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALTANertive' post='418201' date='Apr 26 2007, 08:17 PM
You're first paragraph has me confused as first it seems you disagree w/ me but then bring up dragsters to support it.

I think the obstacle here is you keep referring to wheels that race cars/teams are using, then trying to find the same layout in a mass-produced consumer form. That's not going to happen because the entusiast/weekend racer accounts for only a small percentage of sales. That's why there are wheel manufacturers that offer custom applications. Obvisouly they cost a lot more so are not available to your average consumer.

You got larger wheels that were heavier, so you compromised performance for styling. There is nothing wrong with that, but it just feels like you trying to justify or convince yourself that the added weight has no negative impacts. Again it's not a complete apples to apples comparison as your tire size AND type are different. Given the same wheel size, tire size, and compound, the lighter wheel wins, period.
No i'm not trying to justify anything for myself. Where did you get that? I said from the very begining that i am fully aware of the compromise i made, and i'm fully aware that i didn't have the money to spend on a 20" rim that looks amaizing and is lighter than my stock 18" one. In fact i'm trying to prove here that it's not 100% a rule that the bigger rim is the heaviest of the two, and my point was that if Ferrari owner (back to where the discussion originally started) that will swap to an aftermarket wheels with 1-2" increase in size, will probably afford those high-end rims that are in fact lighter that the stock ones. As you said: "Given the same wheel size, tire size, and compound, the lighter wheel wins,period". Period! and that's it. Only you have to think a lil bit deeper and take all those things into equation, so that if you picture all the scenario you'll find that there can be an equallity between the 2 different comparisons.

PS: I bring up the dragsters that support STRIAGHT LINE acceleration only. Cuz my friend they have so big sidewall, only for the acceleration...put it on a track with bends and see what happens Because we drive cars that are not 100% race cars, nor F1s nor dragster, we look (or most of us) at a mix of things that includes: LOOK, Performance (weight etc etc), and reliability/mark. In that specific order for most of us mortals, but there are people rich enough out there that can afford all those things in an upgrade without any compromises. Super Lightweigh, stunning looking, and yet strong and durable.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 M5 SG/IR/Al

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='418285' date='Apr 26 2007, 01:34 PM
No i'm not trying to justify anything for myself. Where did you get that? I said from the very begining that i am fully aware of the compromise i made, and i'm fully aware that i didn't have the money to spend on a 20" rim that looks amaizing and is lighter than my stock 18" one. In fact i'm trying to prove here that it's not 100% a rule that the bigger rim is the heaviest of the two, and my point was that if Ferrari owner (back to where the discussion originally started) that will swap to an aftermarket wheels with 1-2" increase in size, will probably afford those high-end rims that are in fact lighter that the stock ones. As you said: "Given the same wheel size, tire size, and compound, the lighter wheel wins,period". Period! and that's it. Only you have to think a lil bit deeper and take all those things into equation, so that if you picture all the scenario you'll find that there can be an equallity between the 2 different comparisons.

Apologies as I missed the part where you said that because it's bigger it's not heavier. That's for sure. The lightest Alu wheels in 19" i've seen are a little over 19lb and for 20's just under 21lb. Go magnsium or carbon/magnesium and they drop by a few pounds.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ALTANertive' post='418288' date='Apr 26 2007, 11:39 PM
Apologies as I missed the part where you said that because it's bigger it's not heavier. That's for sure. The lightest Alu wheels in 19" i've seen are a little over 19lb and for 20's just under 21lb. Go magnsium or carbon/magnesium and they drop by a few pounds.
Exactly, so overall it can be a gain in the overall final mark (looks, performance,style,reliability). Even if it drops even slightly in performance, you gain more in looks and style which countebalances that. That's my point in short words. Plus that i bet there are rims out there that are even lighter (aka better performer) for of course a fortune. But hey who owns a Ferrari and some other exotics maybe will find in accesible.