Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

1st speed ticket in a decade

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1057487' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:58 PM
60 @ 35 zone...

It all depends on the road. The 45 zone I take to school every day has been "unofficially" changed to 60 by the drivers. There's cops everywhere but then don't bother anyone because they know people just want to get to work. Cops down here are pretty chill if your not weaving or driving like a maniac. I put my cruise control on 95mph all the way from Miami to Bonita, passed two cops, and they didn't care.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='1057477' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:43 PM
Here in Chicago, anything over 20 over speed limit is reckless driving and it is an automatic 1 month license suspension.
Some areas around Atlanta are similar. GA recently passed a "super speeder" law that allows l/e to tack on another $200 to any other fines cited if you're caught driving higher than a certain speed.

I found this out the hard way.............
Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

LOL thats funny, I just got my first speeding ticket in 5 years.
Doing the class for sure, here in Texas you can take it if you havent taken it in the past 12 months.
I was doing 84 in a 60. If I went one mile over I wouldnt be able to take the class.
Now I have to go to court, blah!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Ahh, that's nothing. I got 4 since May, after I bought my M Coupe!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='1057680' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:42 PM
Ahh, that's nothing. I got 4 since May, after I bought my M Coupe!
That's what M cars do to you (still worth it IMHO)
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

I say fight the ticket. I've received 2 speed tickets(during last 3 and 1/2 yrs) and I fought both of them and won all of them.
It's not that hard to fight and win it. Ask for a trial. It only took me 7minutes to won the first ticket as the officer describes what happened,
the officer pointed at me and said "he" instead of my full name. When he's done and rested his case, I simply told the judge that the officer never
mentioned me as being violated the law and ask for a dismissal. Case dismissed knock on the wood.

The other one I can't remember well, but I asked for the before and after calibration record every cop required to do so everytime he pulls someone.
He didn't do the required calibration after he pulled someone over before me and I got that ticket dismissed as well.

It's very easy and full of loopholes to get it dismissed. I'm not saying you should speed all the time but you know what i'm trying to say here.
I got all those info from one of e-book on how to fight a speed ticket long time ago. Very usefull and well $30 spent!!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='1057707' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:11 PM
I say fight the ticket. I've received 2 speed tickets(during last 3 and 1/2 yrs) and I fought both of them and won all of them.
It's not that hard to fight and win it. Ask for a trial. It only took me 7minutes to won the first ticket as the officer describes what happened,
the officer pointed at me and said "he" instead of my full name. When he's done and rested his case, I simply told the judge that the officer never
mentioned me as being violated the law and ask for a dismissal. Case dismissed knock on the wood.

The other one I can't remember well, but I asked for the before and after calibration record every cop required to do so everytime he pulls someone.
He didn't do the required calibration after he pulled someone over before me and I got that ticket dismissed as well.

It's very easy and full of loopholes to get it dismissed. I'm not saying you should speed all the time but you know what i'm trying to say here.
I got all those info from one of e-book on how to fight a speed ticket long time ago.
Not saying your advice is bad, far from it, but if you go to court and roll out a reliance on technicalities as the primary basis for your case you will run the risk that the officer did happen to do things largely by the book. Human nature being what it is, you then run the further risk that your ultimate penalty may be more severe than it otherwise would have been, because the judge thinks you were trying it on by relying on loopholes.

The CA system is essentially simple - we'll keep it off your record one time every 18 months if you take it on the chin and give us a bit of revenue. Not say others should do what I did, but it would likely have cost me more in legal fees (and time) to fight it than to man up and pay the $300 ticket. I still think it is appropriate to take cases like this on the chin - I was, after all, speeding. I got caught, and the officer was simply doing his job. For me, I'd save the day in court for something other than a minor traffic infraction...
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 //M5 AW smg

Originally Posted by MJ50' post='1057432' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:32 AM
just got speed ticket on the way to work this morning...
60 @ 35 zone...
v1 detected laser but it was too late...
after hearing tom's horror story with fine, i'd imagine mine won't be much different....
any suggestion on how to fight this or reduce the fine at least??
will they allow traffic school???
Sorry to hear MJ! Traffic school and pay the fine like a man.
You have no choices when comes to fine.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1057711' date='Nov 18 2009, 03:17 PM
Not saying your advice is bad, far from it, but if you go to court and roll out a reliance on technicalities as the primary basis for your case you will run the risk that the officer did happen to do things largely by the book. Human nature being what it is, you then run the further risk that your ultimate penalty may be more severe than it otherwise would have been, because the judge thinks you were trying it on by relying on loopholes.

The CA system is essentially simple - we'll keep it off your record one time every 18 months if you take it on the chin and give us a bit of revenue. Not say others should do what I did, but it would likely have cost me more in legal fees (and time) to fight it than to man up and pay the $300 ticket. I still think it is appropriate to take cases like this on the chin - I was, after all, speeding. I got caught, and the officer was simply doing his job. For me, I'd save the day in court for something other than a minor traffic infraction...
I agree with you. It's the risk to take. I'm not a lawyer by far, but have researched a ton regarding traffic laws(my job requires clean driving records to be maintained).
But the judge can't force anymore penalty than the maximum fines indicated on the ticket, points according to speed violation and court costs. The judge can't throw in other stuffs just because i fought the ticket and asked for documents/evidence. I'm actually not trying get out of the tickets. All I'm doing at the court is that did the officer got my speed legitemately and I'm just asking him to show me the proper documents and steps he took to get my speed. 90% of radar devices out there are out of tune(read it somewhere while I was researching). Even 1mph out of tune means this device is inaccurate, period. We can't say oh this tune is 1mph off so we'll lower your speed by 1mph. No it won't work that way.

Anyway, there are lots of cops doing illegal things to pull people over, especially around reduced speed signs and construction zones.
99% of people don't know that newly reduced speed are in effect about 700-1000feet after you cross the new lower speed sign/zone. The law requires to
give motorists enough time to reduce the speed without needing to brake. 1000ft is 3 football fields combined. but we see a lot of times cops hiding just after
the new lowered speed sign/zone. Illegal.
At construction zone, you see the signs fines are double and other stuffs. But each construction zone has working hours usually in the morning to mid-day. After those hours(you can call them and ask for document of working hours at that zone), it automatically switches to normal road. And the law requires to switch to normal speed limit unless it's dangerous(the law here isn't clear so you can always argue it's safe to go at normal speed limit). How many do we pass construction zones with rediculous speed limit of 45mph on major interstate and you see no working and perfectly safe to go at normal speed limit of 65(or 55 in congested area)? Almost everyday.

Ahh, my post got too long But my motive about how I got into traffic law research is due to many cops are doing illegal tactics to pull people over. I just want to fully prepare for these illegal things cops do.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Lots of well-intended advise on this post. I'll rest my case with one more piece of advice. From experience, the best time to "fight" [figuratively] a ticket, is before it's written!

Drive carefully out there ... the life you save might be a Democrat [OR Republican ... OR an Independent]

Quick Reply: 1st speed ticket in a decade