Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

~~ T O R R E N T S ~~

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='777974' date='Jan 26 2009, 06:50 PM
Be -very- careful. I used to work for the largest ISP - the RIAA and the content holders of this content would actively track and come after people connecting to public trackers.

Ideally, you want to get to know people who have private trackers - people who are plugged in and can get stuff way before anyone else.

Exactly why I don't use torrents.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MacFly?' post='777730
You don't have to worry about leachers or slow downloads. My downloads go as fast as my internet connection is constant speed 100% completion rate. Downside is I pay $30 a month, but that includes SSL 128bit encryption for my safety.
Other trackers also enforce encryption and most clients are set by default with encryption on.
Another thing is that almost ALL of the private trackers are overseeded meaning that you'll download with max speed of your connection. True that you have to worry about ratio but that's it. Plus it's free, it doesn't cost anything.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='777974
Did you know that Opera 9 browser has a built in torrent downloader? You don't ever need to use any other software to download torrents.

Also, giganews.com is referred to as a "news reader". If you dig in deeper, you will discover a deeper array of file downloading clients for a nominal fee. $30 is average but i know there are cheaper ones.

Happy Downloading!
Yes that is one cool commodity but it no means it reaches the full functionality of a complete torrent client.

At this time IMHO torrents are the best P2P way of transferring files. Plus trackers (and i mean real ones like private ones) due to the good community and strict rules come up also with some of the best packages. I've seen movie packs on some trackers that exceeded half of a TB. You can't get something like that anywhere else.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='778436' date='Jan 27 2009, 08:55 AM
I can honestly recommend you Azureus/Vuze. That's the best torrent client out there. It is the most customizable, very complex but with different knowledge levels, it's multi platform and it's one of the few clients that are not banned on trackers. But this comes at a cost. It's one big resource hog. On the Mac it's ok as i'm also a Mac user but on Windows it's kind of terrible.
For example on Windows i had it open with more than 200 active torrents and the CPU usage was like at 30% and the RAM usage was like 300-500 MBs. My luck was that i have a very fast PC and couldn't care less.
Used to use azureus..I'm using uTorrent now...seems to work better..
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='778448' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:06 PM
Used to use azureus..I'm using uTorrent now...seems to work better..
For Windows uTorrent is indeed the lightest torrent client. Fast but not as complex or customizable and unlike azureus it has moments when it is buggy. I almost always get the 100% hard disk overload error. Then 1.8 had problems with NOD32 antivirus (IMON).

uTorrent has major downside. It is not multiplatform. Recently a beta emerged for Mac but i think it's well underdeveloped.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

Finalgear.com

All Top Gear and Fifth Gear episodes.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='777736' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:26 AM
right....

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='777974' date='Jan 26 2009, 04:50 PM
Be -very- careful. I used to work for the largest ISP - the RIAA and the content holders of this content would actively track and come after people connecting to public trackers.

Ideally, you want to get to know people who have private trackers - people who are plugged in and can get stuff way before anyone else.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5141056/att-and-comca...iaas-dirty-work
Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='780002' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:47 AM

They don't have much of a choice. When I worked at a backbone ISP, our legal department called -me- because they had been informed that a machine in my lab had grabbed a television episode. The law is pretty black and white. If they come calling, you have to answer. Doesn't matter if it's a RIAA lawyer or a studio lawyer. The ISP is the only one who knows the identity of the wrongdoer. They come to you with a log that states "This IP address sent/received this protected content on this date and time". Instead of asking the ISP, "who is it?"... they are now saying - "deal with it, this Internet subscriber and his behavior is your responsibility".

About 5 years ago, there was a company who had approached the backbone providers. Their gear could collapse common torrent flows and actually make the application more efficient on a massive scale. It was a "win" for everyone. Instead of tens of thousands of users nailing up tens of thousands of identical competing flows, these users could all connect to larger megaflows. It would have meant better performance for downloading/uploading, and less load on the backbone.

The idea was rejected, but you could imagine the political and legal fallout if they had chosen to implement it.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='780117' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:01 PM
... "This IP address sent/received this protected content on this date and time". Instead of asking the ISP, "who is it?"... they are now saying - "deal with it, this Internet subscriber and his behavior is your responsibility".
Two things i'd like to comment:

1. For them to have the evidence of pointing to the protected content being downloaded by that particular client they have to intercept it or trace it somehow. If the connection is however encrypted which most of them are, or even worse (though this is quite unlikely) the downloader uses several proxies and the trace stops at the first firewall, it's very unlikely they could get that evidence.

2. This resides in 1 but, even if they get a match, most of the contracts (and i bet in the US there are even more strict contracts) the client is made aware that any kind of illegal act be it flooding, phishing, or downloading protected or illegal content etc. is in the responsibility of the client NOT of the ISP. It's like saying to a car loan company that is the client of the company drives the loaner drunk and kills somebody it's the company's responsibility.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='780136' date='Jan 29 2009, 10:51 AM
Two things i'd like to comment:

1. For them to have the evidence of pointing to the protected content being downloaded by that particular client they have to intercept it or trace it somehow. If the connection is however encrypted which most of them are, or even worse (though this is quite unlikely) the downloader uses several proxies and the trace stops at the first firewall, it's very unlikely they could get that evidence.
Correct - they are getting that from the Torrent tracker. Public trackers (like the ones mentioned in this post) are regularly referenced for this information. There are enough dummies out there who aren't obfuscating their identity to keep the lawyers busy for centuries.

2. This resides in 1 but, even if they get a match, most of the contracts (and i bet in the US there are even more strict contracts) the client is made aware that any kind of illegal act be it flooding, phishing, or downloading protected or illegal content etc. is in the responsibility of the client NOT of the ISP. It's like saying to a car loan company that is the client of the company drives the loaner drunk and kills somebody it's the company's responsibility.

Well, yes and no. Logic would tell you that this is the case, but some legislature in the US brought the ISPs into the picture It's possible that the content holders could hold the ISPs responsible under the changes made several years ago. No one is ready to put themselves in a situation to test this, so the ISPs simply play along.

It's part of the AUPs on these networks (not to use them for criminal acts), so it's well within the right of any entity to ask an ISP to enforce its AUP if it's on the receiving end of a criminal act. (think SPAM or libel) The ISP threatens to disconnect service if the issue is not remedied, or in the case outlined in the earlier link - penalties are imposed on the offending end user.